Battery

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by Maanu123, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Maanu123

Maanu123 New Member

United States
    well guys my bike wouldn't start and I had to bump it, but the battery wouldn't hold a charge. Idk how, given it had 0 miles on it when I bought it, but the battery is dead.

What battery do i order online? I can't tell which is the right/best one?

2. thtanner

thtanner New Member

United States
    Map
    How recently did you buy the bike? It's common for them to sit uncharged on the dealer floor for a long time. My dealer put in new batteries for us.

3. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    If the bike was sitting for 3+years there is a possibility of a failed battery. Call the dealer and see what they will do before you do anything though is my advise. The battery could be older than the bike by a year possibly.

duccmann likes this.
  4. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    As above if bike has been bought new get it replaced by dealer.

5. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Well this is the first 8th Gen post to appear with an electrical issue!

Bubba is right - if its an early 2014 model the battery could have been shipped to Honda back in 2013. So, as you state the "battery will not hold its charge", it suggests it is now faulty and hopefully a decent replacement is all you need. I have no idea what battery is currently fitted to your VFR but it should have a Yuasa battery - YTZ14S they are not cheap so beware of cheap imitations being sold online.

Obviously batteries don't last forever - over 5 years is rare - 3 years typical for regular use. However battery life is significantly reduced if its has ever been deep discharged (typically the bike parked for several days with the lights left on to completely drain the battery).

You can track down the correct size and type battery for your VFR here - http://www.yuasabatteries.com/index.php

If you really want to know more about batteries including the benefits/downsides of the various types of motorcycles available then I suggest you explore the following link - http://www.whitedogbatteries.com/

Take care

SkiMad

Bubba Utah likes this.
  6. thtanner

thtanner New Member

United States
    Map
    I bought a brand new 2014 Street Triple R late 2015 and the battery died after 3 long rides.

(happy to have sold the STR in favor of my new VFR though!)

7. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    I bought a brand new 2014 Street Triple R late 2015 and the battery died after 3 long rides.
    (happy to have sold the STR in favor of my new VFR though!)

At least Triumph offered to replace their faulty RR's for free unlike Mr Honda! Strangely the RR on my Street never failed (but was still replaced FOC) unlike the RR on my VFR which took out the Stator and battery and made a huge hole in my wallet!

I still love both bikes - the Street is perfect in the mountain twisties where I live in the Alps but it is a short naked bike and you are the fly-screen meaning it is dire on motorway runs. The full fairing on the VFR means it is brilliant for long haul trips and even loaded with masses of luggage it can zoom across Europe - but wow it is heavy and all too willing to take an unplanned nap - see Randy's scorecard!

SkiMad