Boot recomendations?

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by sqrly, Apr 9, 2007.

1. sqrly

sqrly New Member

Map
    My mother is getting back into riding, after almost 30yrs. She had a Honda CB 360 1974, but sold it shortly after I was born. So now I am lowering the VFR untill I can find/afford a bike for her. Loosely looking for a 74' CB360 (prefer orange) that runs, and is still there enough to gradualy restore.

More importantly, she needs boots.
    I have been looking around, and haven't been having any luck finding anything suitable. She has large calves, so wants a low rise (above the ankle, for protection) with instep zipper. I think a flexible soul would help her balance the bike at stopsigns, because she can only touch with the balls of her feet while wearing tennis shoes. Also I am afraid of a large square heel, cause I have fallen after an emergency stop cause I hungup my heel on the peg (I know its rare, but somthing to think about). Looking for mens sz 7-7.5.
    ANY RECOMENDATIONS???
    I'm thinking a touring boot. I looking to spend $100 or less as long as it is safe.

Also how far down can I go in the front without cushing the fender. I want to set the front first, then lower the back to match. I'm thinking 1-1.5in.

MY MOM ROCKS!!! - Sqrly:cool:

2. sqrly

sqrly New Member

Map
    Dosn't anybody wear boots? I hope y'all ain't wearin flip-flops!!! Just looking for some ideas on what manufactures are good and which are bad.
    sqrly

3. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    I have a pair of Alpinestar GPS-3 boots. These are not made any longer (I don't think) but there is sure to be an updated model. I find that these boots are pretty comfortable to wear. Others have said that Sidi boots are good. Set-up brand boots appear to be a decent boot as well and are made by Sidi. The Set-up bots run about $125 I think. I got my GPS-3 boots on clearance from Dennis Kirk for < $100.

4. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Have you looked at Icon and Joe Rocket? I think they both offer a low top (just above the ankle) type boot for under $100. I'm thinking along the same lines for my wife. I really like the Icon Bombshell for my wife, but at $200 I don't think we'll get it. She just won't ride that much I don't think. As for lowering, isn't the VFR pretty close to the same seat height as the CB? I would think cutting the foam out of the seat on the VFR a little should just about do it...

5. sqrly

sqrly New Member

Map
    I have looked at ICON but they are very bulky. (I just bought Icon, for myself) I have some old technic touring boots that would be perfect, but the calf area is to tight for her. I will have to look at Joe rocket, and Sidi.

Yes the vfr/cb are about the same hight. My mom is 5'4'', and can barly get her toes on the ground. That has caused her to fall over in the past. The way I see it, if I can lower the bike 1-1.5 inches, it would be better. I also want to do, non-distructive lowering, cause it should be for this summer only.