cigar afficionados

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by reg71, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds like you need to host a VFR get-together! Although, I don't know how many would ride up there? ;-)

Looks like it wouldn't be too bad for the North Pac crowd, but that's almost 3000 miles for me!

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Puss......

3. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    Yep! Course, I don't hear you wanting to ride down here either...

4. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    What's the difference in the 12 yr and the 18 yr highland park other than more than double the price? I have been reading up on them knowing that you were coming again, but my eyes are blurring and I haven't even taken a drink yet. Why are single malt scotches so pricey compared to an American Whisky? Aren't they basically the same thing?

Oh, and BTT I haven't had a cigar in about a year or so. I wanted to make sure I wasn't lying on insurance paperwork or job stuff when I say I'm a non-smoker. I miss them occasionally. Maybe I'll pick one up before long. I usually just forget. I still want to try those nica libres and see if I like em. I wonder if they pair well with scotch?

I have been drinking the occasional glass of Jack Daniels with honey now. I like it better then the Jim Beam. It's not quite as sweet. I like to sip on it over rocks ... 'of an evenin'.

5. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

6. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    JB is bourbon, JD ain't; both are great as mixed drinks, Whisky and spit.

7. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I thought J&B was scotch and a cheap bleanded one at that. I think that's the one that gave me blank spots in my memory when I drank it.

And when it comes to bourbon vs whiskey, isn't that just a matter of locale again?

8. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    aww, hell no...now CI has paypal built-in. this could be trouble. I'd like to give those a try in a smaller qty before I order a box. I'm gonna look local and see what I find. Maybe I can find them here.

9. BoneJj

BoneJj New Member

Damn you all for this thread..... I need a damn cigar now.... I had some really nice rum ones a few months back at the local cigar bar. Damn they were really damn good.

10. Badbilly

United States
    J&B is Scotch. JB (Jim Beam) is Bourbon. JD (Jack Daniels) is not Bourbon and a great sucker bet when dealing with dudes who think they got everything wired..

If you like J&B with honey, Try a Drambuie sometime. Or if ya like to see those blank spots in color, a jug of Mescal. Another benefit of doing a whole bottle of Mescal is that by the time you get to the worm you don't give a shit if your friends see you eat it.

All that techy and legal stuff on hard booze is codified on Wiki. The Gubbmint has been making laws on whisky since they found out George Washington (Big Daddy) was cornering the whisky market back in the day.

I have read and it rings sort of true that a bunch of those Big Daddy dudes walked around with half a load on most of the time. Consider that the water that came from rivers was somebodys toilet and a dump for all kinds of stuff including dead animals and other two legged critters. The alcohol in beer and hard stuff killed the bugs and I would submit some of the brain cells as well.

Thomas Jefferson was growin hemp too..

11. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    The aging of a Scotch deals with the harshness of it. The older it is, generally the smoother it is. I actually don't like the 18 as much as 12 most the time, as I like the bite of the 12 better. Below 12, and it gets a little too harsh, and I can't enjoy the pallet as much.

That is sacrilege to a Scotch snob! American whiskey is generally blended, which means they blend various batches (often from multiple distilleries) to make the final bottle. A single malt is the same batch (same water and barley), from a single distillery, form beginning to end. That is partly why each brand can be different.

Almost any good cigar goes great with a good Scotch, they were meant to be together! Here's a tip; dunk the end of the cigar in your Scotch before you cut it, don't let it soak too much, but let it get thru the wrap leaf; then cut it and smoke it, while enjoying that glass of good Scotch, you'll see how the two complement eachother.

If you want to try an American whiskey style blended Scotch, I would recommend Johnny Walker (Black label).

Also, Scotch is simply whiskey from Scotland, thus there cannot be an "American Scotch" whiskey.

A true American Single Malt, is McCarthy's Single Malt. Made in true Scotch fashion, from Oregon, an American Whiskey.

Jim Beam is a Kentucky Bourbon, though they also make Blended Whiskey. Jack Daniels is a Tennessee Whiskey. Niether are Scotch, by a long shot.

By the way, instead of just using any ice, try various waters, distilled preferably, they tend to give different experiences to the same Scotch. Once you find one you like, turn it into ice, and you're golden.

12. Badbilly

United States
    Ol Gunny should pay less attention to the advertising guys and more to the academics when posting stuff about any booze. Same water? LOL.. Every step is defined and refined not only by custom and proprietary craft but law as well.

Google up "dilution of scotch whisky" Yep, the spelling is is different too. That nice smoky look can be burnt sugar. All pot still hard stuff comes out of the stills so high proof a couple of shots will singe your gizzard.

Aging? There are still things we do not know about aging. The theory is the changes made over time in the higher alcohols. Good stuff on this on many sites dealing with enology.

The booze in the bottles is worth less than the bottle, label and advertising, that is until the gubbamint takes it's cut. Kind of like basic landline phone service where the add ons total up more than the cost of the service.

The dudes that are funny to watch are the harleydoods that slam down a Bud forgetting they had liplock on some chaw..

13. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    here's a couple links that explain the difference between bourbon and "Tennessee whiskey"

Bourbon whiskey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tennessee whiskey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I havent a clue why JD claims their whiskey isnt bourbon, havent toured their facility and and heard their explanation. I dont drink it, dont care for it.

If youre interested in such things these links are a decent start, wiki articles dont always tell the whole story.

14. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    yeah. I knew the basics of it had to do with location. Growing up cross the river from KY we knew that bourbon was from KenTUCK and whiskey was everwhars else.

15. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Oh, and I picked up a couple small stogies yesterday. Both are the Tabak especial coffee infused. One is the dark and the other is the light. I have had them both before in normal size, but regular cigars take too long for me. I just want a taste occasionally so those medium sized (bigger than cigarillos but smaller than regular) work pretty good for me.

Taste smooth, burn slow. I'd give it favorable rating for just an occasional smoke.

16. Badbilly

United States
    All the legal stuff on WWWW&H on various sauces is contained in 27 C.F.R. 5.

I grew up 25 miles from Hollywood and.....made some hooch out of Koolaid once. Don't ask how it tasted. For the adventuresome check out some recipes for pruno. It's bottled in bondage.

17. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    Dusting off this thread...

Any new cigars to try, I'm in a rut buying the same old ones...

18. woobie

woobie New Member

Map
    My next purchase will be a box of Torano Exodus 1959 robusto's, I'm down to my last 2 in the humidor.

Other than that I'll be taking a list of a few mentioned in this thread and see how many I can find to try out next time I'm heading to the local cigar shop.

19. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    Tatiana Flavored cigars are hand made in The Dominican Republic
    Wrapper: Indonesian • Binder: Dominican • Filler: Dominican

My favorite is Cinnamon.

20. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    So for Father's Day I got a new humidor, and it was stocked with new cigars; of those, I tried one tonight, which was very good: No. 59 Factory Throwouts. Ecuador Sungrown Wrapper, Aged Dominican Filler. Very good indeed.