Coming this evening...

Discussion in 'USA - West' started by reg71, Jul 7, 2007.

1. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Just a heads up guys. We had a great ride up the coast last Sunday. I got a lot of pics. Unfortunately, I was the only viffer to show. Still, I got some great shots for you highlighting points along Hwy 1 from Cambria to Big Sur. I'll be typing up a ride report soon. There is another group ride tomorrow so hopefully I can get this one done before that.

peace....

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Ok, here goes... PCH ride 7-1-07

Hello again. Before we begin, a disclaimer: Any shots where any activity appears illegal are actually simulated on computer. Speeds never exceeded posted limits, and passing was always in designated passing areas.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Ring. Ring.

"Hello"

"Yo, Reg, this is Vic. What's this I hear about a ride on Sunday?"

"Well, it's some of the people I went with a week or so ago just heading up the coast. Why? You interested?"

"Yeah man. I'm in."

"All right. We meet up in Cambria and roll from there..."

"See you there, brother."
    =-=-=-=-=-=-

So that's how this week's sermon at the church of the open road began...

Vic and I met up in Paso Robles and then headed towards Cambria. Temps were already warming up when we left Paso so we opened up all the vents in our gear and headed out. We happened to be running a little later than everyone else and spotted them about 1/2 mile ahead of us coming onto Hwy 1 heading north ahead of us. Guess we have to make up a little time.

We begin the arduous task of working our way through the traffic to catch the group. Considering we were on bikes, that takes every bit of two minutes and we are with the group. They don't know we are with the group yet, though. Time to work up to the front and say "hi" to the leader...

Time to thread the needle. Work up to the front and wave to Barrie. You guys remember Barrie from last week. The other players from this weeks act of my never-ending play are (in no particular order) Lex (harley), Carolyn (FZ1), Norm (CBR), Vic (FZ6), Chris (R1), Barrie (FJR), Rick (FJR), William (Triumph), Diane (GSXR), and of course moi on the 98 VFR 800. If I left anyone out, I am truly sorry.

Ok, here come the pics. Don't miss the scenery in these...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those were after I worked my way through the crowd and got ahead enough to stop and snap a couple quick ones. After taking these I caught back up with everyone and we stopped somewhere around Gorda, I think.

Here's a pic of the cast by the way...
    [​IMG]

And here I come catching up with the group again. Somehow a Goldwing got in the middle of our group for a while. You can't miss it, it's the banana...
    [​IMG]

And here's a shot backwards as we work around the 'wing...
    [​IMG]

And here's the lineup cruising again...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can look ahead in this next pic, you can see how the road is cut out of the side of the mountains...

[​IMG]

Here are a couple pics from where I went ahead again and stopped on a curve to catch everyone coming by...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's another curve but a little closer up so you can actually see the bikes...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now, I'm back on the road following along again...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bridge up ahead in the next pic has a historical marker or something. Couldn't quite catch the name as I was going by, but it seems like it was named after someone...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next pic I snapped as another group was headed south. The yellow bike looked like a VFR to me. Any of you guys on here out on Hwy 1 heading south last Sunday?

[​IMG]

And here's the road heading in to where we ate (or at least some of us ate). I actually wasn't hungry yet as I had had a big breaksfast just before leaving...

[​IMG]

And here's a shot of the parking lot just to give you an idea of the view from this joint...

[​IMG]

Here's a pretty good shot of Barrie and it shows the view from the deck where we were eating. I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but if anyone is interested, I can get the info for you. I don't think anyone was overly impressed with the food, though.

[​IMG]

Now, the trip back....
    [​IMG]

After this point, I worked back through the group and then set a pace. I had a great time scrubbing my tires to the edges and probably making a few friends of the cage drivers along the way. :biggrin: Once I made it back to ragged point, I pulled over to wait for everyone while I had a cup of coffee.

[​IMG]

My friend Chris showed up right as we were all grouping up here at Ragged Point and stopped to visit for a bit. He missed the group departure as I did, but didn't know if we were ahead or behind so missed us until he saw my bike parked out by the highway...

One more shot, we were all checking out these two cars that stopped in. One is a Rolls and the other is a Bentley (I think).

[​IMG]

All in all, it was a good day. Everyone stayed upright. The weather was fine. It was fairly clear, but not as clear as it can be on some days. The traffic wasn't insane. The roads...well, what can I say, it is Hwy 1 along the coast of California. If you don't know about the roads, then you must have missed the last 30 yrs or so of motorcycle rags. As always, the invitation is open guys. Give me a yell.

Keep the shiny side up.

Peace.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  3. whenindoubt01

whenindoubt01 New Member

Well Done.
    Thanks for the pics.

4. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Damn, Reg....awesome photos. Thanks for sharing! I need to get up your way again sometime. I am hoping that by some VFRworld miracle you will make the meetup in August!

:vtr2:

5. Kevin_70

Kevin_70 New Member

Neat pics Reg. I really need to venture out to the coast one of these weekends, have yet to do so on the VFR.

6. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Wow you guys dug up an old one. That was a fun trip. Sometimes the coast is a blast. I bet it's a bit of a headache now, though. Although a friend told me it is kind of better with it blocked off. You can run most of the fun stuff and the cages are staying away cause they can't get through...