Coolant leak - source?

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by I0seb, Jun 21, 2017.

1. I0seb

I0seb New Member

Australia
    Map
    Sadly my baby seems to have sprung a leak. This comes after having reassembled the cooling system and filled it with new coolant, so me forgetting to do something up isnt out of the question :p

Leak looks like it's coming from somewhere between the cylinders, found it running down the alternator cover.

I think I can also hear a noise when the bike is idiling, don't know how to describe it but pretty sure it wasn't there before. It isn't particularly audible.

Anyone have any experiences like this? I'd like to have some idea of what I'm looking for before I go levering the throttle bodies off.

Cheers

2. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    You stated " This comes after having reassembled the cooling system". What exactly did you do?

3. I0seb

I0seb New Member

Australia
    Map
    Check my signature, I've been quite busy ;)

4. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm gonna bet the leak is coming from the area of the thermostat. Those short hoses to the cylinder heads and the O-rings should always be replaced whenever you take that area apart. Old rubber just doesn't re-seat very well.

Terry Smith likes this.
  5. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    Also, don't "lever" your throttle bodies off.

Instead, when you get the bike apart to the point where you would normally "lever" the throttle bodies off, stop, get a cargo strap (like a Thule Rack strap) and loop it under the rear corner of the throttle body (I always loop it around the cylinder #1 part of the throttle body). Then you put the loop up across your (broad and very manly) shoulders and place your hands on the frame rails. You can then use your arms (those "guns" are so big people wonder how you ever get through a TSA checkpoint) to gently pull the throttle body up out of the intake connectors.

I0seb likes this.