custom back rest

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by northernrider, Apr 30, 2009.

1. northernrider

northernrider New Member

Map
    hey i was looking for some kind of back rest but the only option i had was buying a corbin seat with the optional gunfighter backrest witch i was looking with exchange and shipping about 600$ . kinda seems crazy so i did some searching and found the was a guy who make a quick one on the other foarm and was thinking of making more for others . i contacted him and he said not to likley . so i went to a metal fabricator i know and showed him the pick and he said he could do it no problem and make it look total factory .
    so now my question is to everybody out there , anyone would be interested in something like that ? i will post a pic as soon as its done . but i told the guy there might be a market for these , they would run about 175 - 200 $ . hey also how do u post a pic here ?
    the back rest would bolt under the grab rails and go straight up about a foot and a half

2. VFR-Viking

VFR-Viking New Member

I saw the same post on VFRD that you did. Guy did a nice job with his backrest. I thought his $175-200 estimate was kinda steep. I'd be will to pay maybe max $150. Anyway, I contacted him too, but he never replied. Think his plans of mass production kind of fizzled out. I might be interested in a backrest like this. I originally was thinking of adding a topcase to go with my Givi sidecases, but it would be nice to be able to run with just a backrest for my passenger w/ no cases attached to the bike, or just sidecases. Let me know what you come up with with your machine shop friend. :thumbsup:

3. northernrider

northernrider New Member

Map
    well i dont think the guy would make them for any less then 175. it all depends on how the prototype goes .
    if i sold them to other guys it wouldnt to be making money i would be doing it to help other riders that are also looking for a cheaper alterative then a 600$ seat just to get a back rest

4. Sebspeed

Sebspeed New Member

United States
    Map
    Well hey, that "other guy" is a member here too! I just told you all in that thread that I would have a quote for a batch back in two weeks max!!

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  5. northernrider

northernrider New Member

Map
    sepspeed : hey sorry dude i humbly appoligise i wasnt going to rip off your design ( i had already thought of that before and it would be a little different )
    and also i was looking at maby getting it a little sooner thats the only reason why i decided to venture out on my own . as for helping other riders out i can honestly tell u i wasnt looking at making a profit ( which im sure u would understand making theses things arent a cheap as it looks ). the fabricator is a buddy of mine and thought i would throw some buessness his way thats all .
    so i will pull my offer out to anyone that was looking at contacting me for a back rest.
    my oppoligies

6. Sebspeed

Sebspeed New Member

United States
    Map
    Naw, I owe you an apology. I shouldn't have been so jumpy. I certainly don't have any kind of patent on the thing - and I can't say I haven't copied ideas from the internet myself. I edited my post.

If you want to make one or more, go for it - and yeah, the costs do add up pretty quickly, don't they! I am going to lose money on my batch as well - getting them out to all who requested one (at cost) will take a good bit of time, effort, and packaging materials on my part...

7. northernrider

northernrider New Member

Map
    ya i here ya , well i know from looking into it myself that if u sell them for 175-200 u arent making anything off it and if u are the the hassel of shipping and sending them out isnt worth the few bucks u would make lol
    good luck sepspeed and keep the rubber side down !

8. northernrider

northernrider New Member

Map
    ok so here it is ( unpainted of corse ) i wanted to see how the finished fit was before painting . overall i'm quite pleased how it turned out ,super solid would easily hold a 200lb ass ! once powder coated in flat black i will post some more .... ride on :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

9. VFR-Viking

VFR-Viking New Member

Very nicely done sir :thumbsup:

10. Zhenya13

Zhenya13 New Member

Just bought a 06 VFR today and I was looking for a corbin on e-bay but this is much better.

Are you taking orders? How much?

11. northernrider

northernrider New Member

Map
    not taking any orders , the profet from each back rest wouldnt be woth the hassel of collecting and shipping . i would suggest go to your local metal fabricators show him this pic and get a price

12. Scrubsz

Scrubsz New Member

I'm very interested in purchasing a backrest for my 98 VFR. I understand price has been a touchy subject....I dont care. Name your price.

Andy