Custom Paint- How Much Did It Take?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Noobtastic14, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Noobtastic14

Noobtastic14 New Member

I've already began reconsidering the color of my 04 but why dip it when I can just take it into the paint bay and shoot it with a real color? The driving question- is whether the outcome will justify the cost. I could always just get plenty of paint and go from there but I want house of color metalized paint and its not exactly cheap lol.

So- has anybody gone through this recently enough to give me a ballpark?

-Drew

2. Noobtastic14

Noobtastic14 New Member

3. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I've done 2 vfr's and went through about 1.5 quarts ( prior to thinning). I think I spent around $500 in materials both times.

The only thing I'd strongly recommend is applying that clear bra stuff on the rock chip areas. Neither aftermarket paint job and clear coat i had holds up to the rocks like the OEM plastic color does.

4. Noobtastic14

Noobtastic14 New Member

Thank you tinkerinWstuff that is very informative.

I was thinking two qts. should be enough with some extra- but wasn't positive.

-Drew

5. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    A first rate painter might get it done in one quart. I sure couldn't and there's nothing worse than running short on a job like that when you're all set up. There isn't a lot of surface area on the outside but you have to paint both sides for a good job. All the awkward curved surfaces lend themselves to a lot of wasted spray too.

6. Noobtastic14

Noobtastic14 New Member

Awesome to hear.

I am still rolling around the idea of how I want to paint it- because if I can keep the cost down I can repaint the bike a different color every riding season which I think would be fun but If costs get high it might just be a one time thing. I may end up just sanding and shooting the insides with cheaper black paint and finishing the outside as needed.

-Drew

7. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Someone in the know more than I may correct me, but if you were to repaint every year, you are going to end up with a really thick layer of paint on the bike. That is fine for the tank being metal but on the plastic faring, I would think that it would be very prone to cracking once you built up a thick coat. Too much flex in the plastics. Maybe badbilly will chime in here. He seems to have some background knowledge in painting affairs.

8. Noobtastic14

Noobtastic14 New Member

I'll remove any excess paint.

I am a "professional" military painter- I do coating work on the F22 so my job mostly consists of sanding off paint and spraying on new paint. I'm no auto-body pro- but I am skilled enough to sand one layer of paint at a time without breaking into any further coats. I'll use this to my advantage when prepping the panels.

-Drew

9. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Ballparking on product from House of Kolor would be impossible unless the specific paint is chosen. Some of their paints run 2k a gallon.

Coverage depends on color and particulate size just as a beginning, red is transparent and even some of the blues and greens using Pthalo blue or green are transparent. This is where a careful choice of undercoat color is critical.

Painting the inside of fairing parts with topcoat material is a waste of expensive paint. Matte black is great.

Removal of all the paint from fairing part (s) is the least necessary step in a repaint that is possible.

House of Kolor has great ads, great paint and everything you need or so you think to paint a bike. There are other sources. Many of the "auto" type paints are manufactured by one or more subsidiaries of Sherwin-Williams. This includes generic reducers, gloss enhancers, primers, primer/fillers, catalyzers and hardeners. All have sample and "chip" books. Best deal in many places in the US is NAPA and Martin-Senour.

A trick in painting is to use lacquer as the paint, topcoated with one of the two component clearcoats.

Another factor in cost that is many times overlooked is the type of sprayrig used. A "conventional" gun and compressor will do very fine work depending on the quality of the equipment but the waste in material is the price paid. Current technology calls for the use of HVLP equipment where transfer rate can approach 85%.

Like many dudes that have bikes and ride without ATGATT or close, there's an ATGATT for automotive level spraywork. Too little of that and you might end up having someone spoon feeding you Top Ramen. Bottom line? This shit is toxic..

For those areas that are subject to rocks, roadkill, flotsam and jetsam a couple of clearcoats works. The film from 3M is bulletproof.

Best bet IMO. spend a few pesos on a book and RTFM before laying out green on somebody's counter because they think it's a good idea. '

10. Badbilly

United States
    Paint yes. Affairs no! Maybe try Norcalboy..

11. Noobtastic14

Noobtastic14 New Member

Awesome information badbilly!

To clarify- I will be a filtered paint bay with full coverage tyvek suit and 3m 6700 full face respirator with filtered forced air using a gravity fed HVLP.

I spray all the time- and can throw down consistent coats without striping and can address gun issues as they arrive but in my line of work we rarely use clear coat and even more rarely does the product have to look as pristine as auto-body clearcoat standards.

I'm thinking with my basic experience with the equipment, and the facility I have access to the hardest part will be deciding what stackup I want for base, color, and top as well as how much I'll need. The House of kolor stuff I was looking at is only around $50 a qt.

Item Detail

-Drew

12. Noobtastic14

Noobtastic14 New Member

Somehow I managed to dig this up from a year or two ago.

[​IMG]

-Drew

13. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Used to crew the F15 and was slated to get the 22. Delays in the program had it arrive some time after I was out. What a hot-rod and super bummed I never got the chance to play with one.

14. Badbilly

United States
    You got it made GI.. All the right gear and facilities and the experience. It's all the same thing, just apply what you know. Adjust your lighting so that you can see the material being applied. This is pretty important with metallics and clearcoats. So does Uncle supply you guys with cammo bunny suits? ;)

If you have, use the finest projection set you have there for shooting your bike stuff especially with the metallic. One trick is to thin the last coat of the metallics to even out the pattern. Using an HVLP like the one shown crank up the air some.

Some pitfalls might be a potential for curtains in the reverse curves. These automotives flash off pretty fast so you can do a nice wet edge with the same 50% overlap and not get in trouble. Best teaching method I used to use is to find something with a reverse curve and shoot some water on it.

With the right color primer, a quart of the blue should be enough. Use a generic black on the inside surfaces. This is nothing more than some more masking.

If possible fashion some jigs for the fairing parts. Just something to hold them in place whilst painting. Another good tool is a turntable. A lazy susan bearing and some plywood works fine.

Nice gun.. and no paint under your nails and quick.. Good show.. Clean and mean..

Painted lots of things but never an airplane. Never told the USAF that I could do it..