Design a new VFR - Weight vs Load

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Hopsterman, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Hopsterman

Hopsterman New Member

Australia
    Map
    This could be a bit controversial, because they may be able to design a lighter bike that can take more load - but there may be a cost factor to this.

Should we simply ask to design a lighter bike to be able to take the same load for the same cost?

2. jev.

jev. over there

Sweden
    I like the weight of the bike as it is. I don't like the twitchiness of lighter bikes, and I think the weight makes ours feel more planted.

3. Wu-Viffer

Wu-Viffer New Member

Map
    I agree, I like that the VFR is a bit heavier. When I ride my buddy's SV650, I feel like I don't stick in the turns as well because the bike is so light. I have a 2001, so it's a little lighter than the 6th generation bikes, I don't know if I would want mine to be much heavier since I ride in the city a lot.

4. Hopsterman

Hopsterman New Member

Australia
    Map
    I agree personally 100%. The bike doesnt feel heavy in any way.
    I dont think many Gen 6 owners think weight is much of an issue.

But I know by these forums, a lot of people think it is an issue.

If anyone agrees or disarees, please send in your thoughts - this is a hot topic and is a major part of our new design.

5. Kevin_70

Kevin_70 New Member

The weight was probably my biggest concern when I was thinking about buying one, now I don't think it's a problem at all. It's so much more stable on the freeway than my old ZX6R sportbike and crosswinds aren't nearly the battle they used to be. Credit to Honda engineering because it doesn't handle like it's as heavy as it is.

6. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

I would like the weight to be 450lbs dry. I think that would work out to just under 500lbs filled with fluids.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane:

7. MrDe

MrDe New Member

+ditto, about the same weight as the Aprilia.

8. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Here's test for ya, go find your favorite road you know real well, try it full tank, then try it agin next to empty, and you tell me which you prefer. love my bike when the red light is on so much faster in the twisties, So like KC said 50lbs lighter or 450lbs wet would be just about spot on.

9. daffy67

daffy67 New Member

Map
    A full tank will add 20-22kg to the wet weight.

10. Hopsterman

Hopsterman New Member

Australia
    Map
    I should loose about 20kg off myself

I should probaly loose about 22kg off myself before worring about the weight of a tank of fuel

too much beer and spuds.

22L of fuel = 16.2KG

11. Hopsterman

Hopsterman New Member

Australia
    Map
    Mine was supposed to be 213KG dry (468 lbs). The stock exhaust is HEAVY. Im sure theres at the very least 10 lbs difference in the staintunes.

Im nearly at the 450 mark as it is..

12. TheMadChef

TheMadChef New Member

United States
    Map
    Well the weight on my 93 is lighter than my 96 and 2000 but low on power compaired to the other two. now my NC-30 is around 400 pounds wet and is phenominal on the track but again low on power. When I had it in Phoenix I would ride up the mountains to Prescott. and eat up all kinds of 600's and hang with the 750's in tight twisties. So in my opinon, if you can't lose the weight give us more power and give us back our gear driven cam's. that is the main reason why I haven't bought a sixth gen version

13. Hopsterman

Hopsterman New Member

Australia
    Map
    Gear driven cams are no real advantage - its a minor detail as far as I am concerned. the Chain driven ones are fine - and so are the gear driven ones.

However more important of a decision is the power to weight. If they could make the bike lighter - but just as stable in wind etc, braking and acceleration would improve. More power, and only acceleration would improve.

Hmmm - mabee a touch of both would help a lot.

It looks as though were going to be asking for a more powerfull bike anyway (higher displacement). Perhaps we could shave just a few kgs off the bike, and that could be a big improvement on the overall package.

14. jarhead777

jarhead777 New Member

To me weight isn't the issue power is, I bought the bike as a sport touring machine. I don't like the idea that a fjr1300 is faster. I also see a bunch of pictures on this site of bikes in full drag with bags everywhere. How about another 20-30hp and shift some weight down to offset the luggage. Also a good saddle to start with and cruise control.

That would make us faster and more comfy on the long runs.

15. douglasthecook

douglasthecook New Member

United States
    Map
    For me, my priorities are in order.....
    comfort, appearance, looks.

I have a '96, and I think it's comfortable, although the seat could use just a tad more padding, but it's not really an issue. I also really like the looks of this generation, as well as the following generation, the latest design still hasn't really grabbed me. I would like to see a little more performance, but not too much, perhaps 20-30 HP. I think it should have as much as the 600cc bikes. After all, we do have a bigger engine. Weight isn't something that I'm concerned with.

Douglas Cook
    '96 VFR

16. grinder

grinder New Member

When comparing with the FJR don't forget that it is a much bigger and heavier bike than the VFR. Not to mention a lot more expensive. I have riden the FJR a couple of times and have to admit it's an awesome engine but you do notice the extra weight especially around town and in tight corners.

To get more power and/or lower weight you will have to either give up some reliability or significantly increase the cost. Personally I don't want to do either of those.

17. jarhead777

jarhead777 New Member

I know there is only about 10-15lbs difference between a gsxr600 and 1000 yet there is around 60hp. I would suggest take the current mill to 1000 and drop the vtec. That should keep the weight and cost about the same. I thought the vtec was a cool gimmick but not really necessary. I might be mistaken but it seems like vtec is used in this application to give the bike better fuel economy under normal driving conditions or should I say normal for sane people. Just leave all 4 valves operating all the time.

Of course this is all hypothetical since Honda is going to listen to larger markets and I will probably be riding the same bike a long time.

18. DANIMAL

DANIMAL New Member

my 86 vfr weighed 496lbs so my 2006 vfr weighs 468 so it is lighter. I have taken the "A" fender off and I am adding micron Carbon Fiber exhausts my christmas present for my baby from my baby (Wife). I love the way it handles. It is getting new rubber today. after the 100 mile break-in it will be yee haa again!!
    Danimal

Keeping both wheels on the road..:first:

19. TheMadChef

TheMadChef New Member

United States
    Map
    well I think that when honda came out with the cbr 900 it weight as much as a 600 and had gobs of power. I have heard of ex team honda mechanics tune a rc45 to around 180 rwhp so why dont they bump up the displacment to say 850 or 900 and give us 150 plus hosere power and a fully adjustable suspension, thus creating the super interceptor