Do not buy K&N Wrench On oil filters: Busted on me

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by EricTrant, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Gotta go with Gman on this one. Different tracks have different rules on whether safety wiring is mandated for schools and track days and can include mirror and headlight taping. Same thing with personal gear and tires. Some schools, if ya show up with less than tires in tip top shape will send ya packing and keep the money. They are up front about this.. So for those dudes that in into just letting shit go like it was some paperback exercise in existentialism, be otherwise advised. Similar but different is racebike prep.. Best to have some safety wire handy..

Nice touch on the wire hole on the "other" filter. Looks like the market has determined that there's a profit selling them for 25 or so fewer pesos. Also, according to those who get their info from stone tablets, an OEM filter from our beloved creators pile of stuff they don't really make, this alloy puppy is a pretty good deal.

108 pesos divedido por 15 pesos eguales, not many oil changes.

2. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Ya safety wire is big dough

3. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    Ok, are the K+N oil filters primarily failing at the gasket, or on front, where the nut is spot welded?

Does the gasket fail, if you lube the O-ring, and hand tighten it?

4. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    If you have a set of vernier calipers you can measure the K&N yourself, then find a stock or new one and measure that one.

Re-read post #41, I gave up dealing with VFRD so I can't quote them directly.

5. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Yes great Idea Mr troll:joker:

6. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    How much money have you spent on lawyers? How many times have you been in a court room? How much law did you take in college?

Being in a court room is always the LAST resort. A letter writing campaign and publicity is cheaper and would probably get the same or better results. Quantify the damages so far for us Gator and you'll see a class action is for the Saturday morning cartoons. Of course I care about anyone that's lost their oil on the pavement.

Really not trying to slam you Gator, I think you're a good guy, but just trying to make a point. Like my business attorney says, "lawyers are bad people". Go sit through a few courtroom trials for an education. Courtrooms are bad places. Justice, isn't easy to get. It takes too much luck.

As far a the filters, yes, just get an OEM and forget about it but we can do some free publicity and win.

7. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    If you guys were ever so foolish to drag K+N's corperate lawyer(s), and team of engineers to court, l'm sorry, but they would shread you like yesterday's documents.

If you think that the O-ring, being a different size, is a good defence, all they would have to do is point out that the K+N design is different that that of the stock Honda oil filter, and the K+N gasket, needs to be smaller. Those pictures that got sent in, of oil filters torn at the front, from improper installation, aren't going to help you either.

To further ram home their case, they can go on this forum, and show how many posts are nearly unreadable because we are either too dumb, or too lazy, for proper punctuation, and grammar. Then, they will add that time, around here, is measured in the numbers of beers drank. Good luck.

Life is like a chess game. You had better be thinking 5 moves ahead. And NEVER underestimate the opposition.

8. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I have to admit, I was treated very nice by K+N on my cars air filter-it broke a tab off and they replaced the entire air filter system that cost $150 for free-it had a lifetime war and was on the car when I bought it-I had no receipt either. The simple solution is to by a napa platinum which was on sale for $8.42 and I got another one-I use these on my car too, last pic is of BB troll:nelson:

Attached Files:

9. Badbilly

United States
    Maybe Sniper and DriftingAlung will lecture us next on always going oot with clean underwear.

10. Badbilly

United States
    Research shows that those Platinum filters use cat hair in the mesh. Little teeth and claws too.

11. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    All the ones I have seen in person have been a failure at the O ring and yes they were properly oiled and hand tightened. I have done literally thousands and have never had an O ring failure until a few years ago with the K&N's. I had used them on track bikes for years with no problems then all of a sudden out of the blue I have seen and heard of a lot of failures. AM's failure was at the nut but installed at K&N's torque spec.

Am I calling for a class action? lol no way do i want to open that painful can of worms. My ex wife was a legal secretary for a large Realestate firm and I have been shooting a lot of lawyer commercials the last 4 years and do not want to play in that world at all. Know a ton of lawyers........... a few are human and 2 I call friends. But both of them are patten lawyers and never utter the words "slip and fall?" or "been in a car wreck?". No offense intended to the lawyers on the forum. lol They have motorcycles.

12. Badbilly

United States

13. Badbilly

United States
    OK here's how we do it.. Mass postings on harleydood forums and bulletin boards about K&N oil filters being crap. Let them hire the lawyers for a class action suit and we sit back and collect the pesos. ;)

14. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    lol, half the HD crowd are lawyers dressed in leather riding 40k bling bikes.

15. Badbilly

United States
    The rest are dentists..

16. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Read it a few more times without beer in one hand......

17. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    I quit waiting for you to post something that required intelligence to compose. I quit waiting now.

18. Badbilly

United States
    Sorry to disappoint. I will try to be more timely.

19. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States

20. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Anyone ever tried a Honda OEM filter? I use them and they cost me no more at my local independent cycle dealer and shop. They actually work....amazing.