Emergency Contact Information

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by derstuka, May 31, 2009.

1. Derek Ashley

Derek Ashley New Member

I have an old friend who did the EXACT same thing. Very hard core. Bravo!:helo:

2. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    This is a great topic. As an EMT I've been to few accidents that the person wasn't conscious or coherant enough to answer questions. I on the other hand do keep my cell phone in my tankbag...but its teathered to my waist so if I go it comes with. The only disadvantage that I have with this is when I get off the bike and forget to unhook. Im so OCD about hooking it up when I get back on. (I think of it like extended ATGATT) I also have something called Instant Clot in my tank bag. Its pretty spendy about 25$ for a bandage but it works great. My wallet with all my medical info is in my jacket pocket. On a point that Toe brought up about calling/meeting the significant other. Getting the loved one and driving them to the hospital is a great idea. It does provide less stress for the loved one and there is a friendly face to be there to lean on. On the other hand if your not near home don't delay the call to long. I would rather call my friends girl or visa versa and tell them their has been an accident. The hospital will eventually find out who the victim is and they will make the call. Rather a friendly voice on the line who will keep the loved one informed than someone who has no relation what so ever to the person. I hope that made sense. On that note, ride safe everybody.:thumbsup:

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    When EHS call my supplied emergency number, they always get put on hold or the party answering says they don't know me. Kinda sucks you know.

"He's not dead? Then why are you calling? Don't you know Dancing with the Stars is one right now!"

4. SLOav8r

SLOav8r New Member

It's a good idea to keep your DMV information updated to. While law enforcement won't just give people info over the phone, you can easily call them with the license plate number and tell them there was an incident and notifications need to be made to the family.

5. PyroMcnoob

PyroMcnoob New Member

Great Post!

this post is invaluable :thumbsup:

Everyone should have emergency info on their person... Consider it part of ATGATT... I have a buddy who is an EMT, and he's always tellin' me horror stories about guys that suffered longer than necessary because they couldn't get the required info for treatment...

even something as simple as blood type somewhere visible on ur gear can save time... and those ResQtags are effin' neat! I'll be orderin' mine in the next week, before I do any other canyon runs or other adventures...

As always, Rubber Side Down :crutch: wouldn't want that to be you ;)

6. PyroMcnoob

PyroMcnoob New Member

Hate to quote mahself... But I did in fact order my resQtags today... :biggrin:

7. afpierce489

afpierce489 New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey all, I'm a volunteer EMT and here's another good thing if you are a rider and have a couple of medical conditions, take alot of meds, or well, just getting older. It's called a "File of Life". You can usually get them from your local Fire Departments for free. They would mainly bring them out during EMS Week, but should have some lying around. I would check there first and if they don't have it for some reason then "Google" it and there are plenty of companies that have these. They make them bug enough to fit the fridge (about 5" x 10" folded) and then a walled size. Check it out. Also, VFR World could put out their own with their own logo and stuff on it and market it specifically to motorcycle riders. File Of Life is the website that has a way that you can custom order.

8. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    I was browsing, and saw this old thread I started up awhile ago, and thought I would update it with some new products that I came upon. Who knows, some of you may find it useful in addition to the ones mentioned in the opening thread. These are a great idea, especially you ride alone or with folks you do not know well. At the very least, you could croak with some fancy "Lance Armstrong" looking bling all over ya badself! :faint::rip:

CLICK ME CLICK ME

Here are a some samples:

Data tag
    [​IMG]

Data tag bracelet
    [​IMG]

Dog Tag ID
    [​IMG]

ID bracelet
    [​IMG]

Lifeband Dogtag (for folks with special med needs, or warnings)
    [​IMG]

Lifeband bracelet
    [​IMG]

9. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    I guess these would work too, but not near as much room for info. Anywho....

Click me

[​IMG]

10. PAFirefighter11

PAFirefighter11 New Member

I know this is older but my phone has an "ICE" contact in it. I ran EMS for 6 years and honestly don't recall ever looking for an ICE contact, but that was 5 years ago so things may be different now with the 9-1-1 system looking to start accepting text and photo/video messages.

11. stoops

stoops New Member

United States
    Could be another option, though I think the cost (recurring) is prohibitive. But the built in debit visa pass could make paying at the pump easier, less reaching into pocket for wallet etc.

https://vitaband.net/home

12. afpierce489

afpierce489 New Member

United States
    Map
    That thing looks pretty cool. But I got to tell you, as an EMT I would have taken one look at that thing and thought it was one of those bracelets that energize and detoxify your body. I wouldn't have thought to call the number on it to get the information. This may not be for the first responder, but for the ED nurse/doctor after "John Doe" get's in there. There may not be enough time to get the info with the work that you have to do to the person. Good idea though.

13. fatbastard

fatbastard New Member

United States
    Map
    Came across this idea the other day, might be of interest to a few people here. Particularly if they ride alone on quieter roads. Basically a shock sensor that detects impact and uses a Bluetooth connection and app to use the smartphone to autonomously send a distress call with GPS position data.
    https://icedot.org/en/products/41-Crash-Sensor. Designed for mountain bikers but it would work perfectly well for other two wheelers too. Obviously if the phone is trashed in the crash you wouldn't get diddly out of it though. For a hundred bucks it seems reasonable though and is very compact.

14. Bryan88

Bryan88 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

South Africa
    Map
    That looks pretty neat, afraid 2.3million South African Rands is a bit pricey! :smile-new:While on the subject of smart phones, try incorporate the ICE number into your lock screen. My kids were in an accident recently, and although we had my daughters boyfriends phone, we couldn't get into it without his pass-code.

15. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    All good ideas. If you are going to take the time to enter "ICE" data on you phone, take the extra few moments to add the same info under "EMERGENCY" and "HOME". I don't think that "ICE" is as common knowledge as we like to think it is.

I think the dog tags or wrist band, in a bright colour, with the Emergency Health Services insignia, is your best be. EHS proffessionals are always checking for Medic Alert tags.

An old post, but time to bring it up again for newcommers to the site.

16. ragincanadian

ragincanadian New Member

Good bump, thanks. This was not something I would have necessarily thought of before it became an issue.

17. Allyance

Allyance Insider

Germany
    Map
    I use my RoadID bracelet made for bicyclists. RoadID has all your medical & insurance info secured under a unique number (inputed by yourself). Very economical and readily available. EMS simply call the 800 number on the bracelet and enter code number.

https://www.roadid.com

18. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    I'm liking what Toe Cutter had to say.

With all the options available, it would make sense to use more than one informational device.

19. Allyance

Allyance Insider

Germany
    Map
    Unfortunately my iPhone requires finger print to unlock, not useful to EMS, having duplicate info in wallet would help.

20. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Saw a report once that on your phone under ICE ( in case of an emergency) you should have all your emergency contacts under this heading on your phone, supposedly one of the things paramedics look for on your phone. Second I've been wearing this since I had a stroke in my eye 5 years ago and taking blood thinners, has everything such as meds, dosages, doctors names and phone numbers and of course emergency contacts. uploadfromtaptalk1452110476515.jpg