False, false neutral between 5th and 6th, anyone?

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by VFROARR, Aug 5, 2011.

1. ozzybob

ozzybob New Member

Australia
    Thanks ridervfr but I do know how to change gears on a motorcycle (I've been doing it for 30 years) and this is a 2015 VFR1200F not a CBR or a vfr800 and 9000rpm in 5th would be 250kph+ so I assume you are suggesting 6th gear is not to be used below 250kph???

2. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Sorry. Wouldnt wana put you riding prowess down, i got over 30 years and maybe 250,000 street miles 224 kph is hauling arse, thing 180kph maybe
    :vtr2:

3. ozzybob

ozzybob New Member

Australia
    I'm still not sure what you are suggesting?
    Is it that you only ever change up a gear at or near red line,
    Even when on a b road that goes for miles in mostly a straight line? So you cruise at 65mph in 2nd at 8000rpm?
    We ride roads over here in Australia not streets, roads that go for hundreds of KM without a traffic light and the speed limit is 100kph. By your rationale I should only ever use 1st and 2nd gear.

4. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Negative ghost rider, i dont change up gears near red line ever really. 10,000 rpm is good from 5 to 6 gear changes. I take care of my bikes and generally short shift them till 4 or 5. Anything more to say, i am flummoxed. Good luck to you a :peace:

5. Laker

Laker New Member

Canada
    Map
    Rider has some great points. This situation frustrated me when I first got my VFR. When I took it in for its first 1000km service (many years ago) I mentioned it and the dealer said they never heard of this before. I use a great oil (won't mention brand, so no freak outs) good riding boots and deliberate shifts and I have rarely experience this. May be a VFR thing as none of my other bikes ever did it. Even 35 year old sport bikes. Ride safe. IMG_0954.jpg

6. ozzybob

ozzybob New Member

Australia
    So are you saying NOT to change up to 6th gear until 9000rpm in 5th?
    So NEVER use 6th gear unless you are doing in excess of 220kph?
    I honestly thought I should be able to change gears at any rpm and not have the gearbox find a false neutral.
    That's sarcasm if you can't pick it.
    Oil quality would have nothing to do with it, it is obviously a mechanical fault and most likely happens because of the shift star design.
    The detent arm must balance on the point of the star rather than rolling around to the 6th slot.

7. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I had my 91 since 95 and accumilated 80,000+ miles over the years, when I first started riding this bike I had the same problem with a ghost shift from 5 to 6 (being limbo, not in gear) I installed a factory pro shift kit and for the most part the problem was solved. I have still hit these annoying missed shifts 5,6 but with lesss frequency. Flash forward to 2014, I picked up a Gen3 bike with low miles and started the labourous process of making it a reliable bike (wont go into the details here.) Its an honest 150mph bike, just like my 91 is.

From my experiences over the years riding motorcycles of all kinds, some like to come out of first gear fast, some like to hang in first gear a little longer before the second shift is initiated (1 -2.) Case in point, an RC51 had a real tall gear for my tastes, and I had a hard time riding smoothly on the street from 1 to 2. All these bikes want to rev and have different rev bands. They all make torque at different rpms etc. From my expeirences, for these high compression engines, I like to take off at a reasonable clip (half the RPM of the engine regardless 5000 RPM is a nice power band.) Then I just shift along depending if I am doing congested stop and go traffic or if its moving along, I use 4 and 5 gear on pretty much what ever I am riding.

That being said, 6 gear is an over drive gear and should be used for extended high-way droning. When I get on the highway with what ever I am riding, I leave it in 5 till I hit 90-100 MPH and snick that sucker into 6. My 93 has been behaving well considering its past pedigre, I may or may not go for a detent arm and stiffer spring. I think they have more deluxe kits for newer bikes btw.

Sarcasm loses its flavour in this venue. Stay kewel and make sure to be giving them bikes the "berries" when you shift that chit :vrt2: Better to rev these motors than lug them