First 230 Mile Ride on my 1200VFR

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Seemedo, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Seemedo

Seemedo New Member

Map
    Started out about 0830 got back at 1600, road down to Mariana FL to a BLM wild mustang sale then over to Panama City Beach didn't put as many miles on as planned had to meet the wife to look at the horses and donkeys, fun. It feels real comfortable until the last 30 minutes of the ride do to using different muscles that haven't been used in a while. The seat felt great all day. I like the way it handled the stop, crawl, and go traffic at the beach. Things I miss that my HD has: canceling turn signals, and wider foot print on the side stand FRV wanted to sink into the sanding soil easy fix. Ran into a guy that has the 800vfr who is thinking about getting the 1200 nice conversation real passionate about the VFR bikes. Breaks got tested when a truck pulled out in front of me at 65+. Can't wait for the fog to burn off for a little spin down to the Outpost in Black Creek FL.
    [​IMG]
    Jeff

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  2. alang

alang New Member

Map
    Thanks for the report Jeff. Glad you like the bike.

3. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Glad you enjoyed it. Sounds like a nice ride. Its nice to see a road not covered with snow...

4. ZenMoto

ZenMoto New Member

United States
    Map
    Glad you had a nice ride Seemedo. I'm looking at your picture and playing "Where's Waldo" ...can't find the VFR in it anywhere! lol

I've only got 650 miles on mine; had hoped for more in the week I've had her, but cool weather and lots of rain have put a damper on my weekend. :(

5. Seemedo

Seemedo New Member

Map
    You're right that picture was from a ride on the Nostalgia it's in the center with the sun glaring off the exhaust. This is from today's ride when I stopped by to what was going on but not as many people with rain in the forecast. I had to go the last 20 miles in the rain but the bike did just fine on real greasy roads. A guy that I see everytime I go to the Outpost asked what the size of the motor was in the VFR, when I told him 1200 he replied that he could never ride that small of a motor. Now I like him a lot but it just goes to show that there is more to like then cubic inches. Got asked about how it must be uncomfortable to ride but 90% of the riders there don't really care what kind of bike you ride as long as the beer is cold and the music loud. The VFR has my Yellow helmet on it.
    [​IMG]
    Jeff

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  6. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    :thumbsup: I've got a few pics like that where I have to search for my rice bike in the middle of a sea of HD!

7. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    A typical harleydood gathering. Lots of parked bikes leaking shit all over somebodies parking lot and a bunch of fat guys in doo rags seeing who has the most bucks in aftermarket bolt ons.

8. phobe

phobe New Member

Map
    A 230 mile rideo nthe 1200? You must have had to stop for gas 7 or 8 times.

9. Seemedo

Seemedo New Member

Map
    Only once haven't done the math yet to see how far I can go on a tank filled up between 130 & 140 miles used 3.2 or 3.5 gls. I can go over 220 on the 95 flstn but it's going to be harder on the VFR at least for a while since I love to hear her moan over 4k. I'm guessing somewhere around 35MPG but I'll get the average and then watch the trip odometer I've never trusted gas gauges on bikes anyway. Two hours of ridding and I'm ready for stop anyway if touring in a remote area I might have to carry some fuel but I'm not planning a trip like that any time soon.
    Jeff

To the question of HD's leaking, I've been to several ralleys, seen thousands of Harleys and none of them leaked. Some of the 80's and older would leak but not all of them. Some riders just like to buy something that is made in the U.S.A. If you where to ride into the Outpost nobody would care what you're ridding but they might say something about your attitude. if you have a Paypal account let me know and I will send you a few bucks so you can buy some gas and get out and ride. But you are right about the dew rags, butt-less chaps, finger-less gloves, and big bucks in customization.

Jeff

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  10. Badbilly

United States
    Five stops is more like it. We cannot be certain that out of 7 or 8 filling stations they will all have Jo-jo's.

11. ZenMoto

ZenMoto New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Seemedo, don't let the haters get to you. The Outpost is probably a lot like the Rock Store here in Malibu. And yes, there are generally a TON of HDs lying around while their owners sit at tables and drink beer. But there's a fair amount that ride from all over the state / country to come visit the Rock Store too, and only a handful (mostly the older AMF era bikes) that actually leak oil.

One of the worst, regular, offenders is Jay Leno, but not on Harleys (I've never seen him on one) but he has an old Ariel Square Four that leaks like a sieve! lol

Nothing wrong with Harleys if that's the style of bike someone wants. I've ridden a Road King up to Monterey along the Pacific Coast Highway and it was a very pleasant cruise. Sport-bike guys bashing Harleys are usually every bit as ignorant as the Harley guys bashing sport bikes!!!

Glad you're enjoying your new VFR, I know I am mine! ...in fact, my Pit Bull stand should be here Wednesday so I can give her the 600 (it'll be more like 1000) mile service. :)

Ride on!

Oh yeah, link to the RS. http://www.rock-store.com/

12. Badbilly

United States
    Are you saying that old Brit bikes leak oil too? OMG what a revelation! Keep up the information stream and we might vote you in as tech dude of the day. You could warn Jay too that those old Square Fours, have ignition systems that hunt at low rpm and that the airflow to all four slugs is not even. The leaks can be fixed by lapping in the cases and slapping those puppies back together with 3M Super Trim Cement.

So where is this Harley you rode up 101 or were you riding bitch? Did you stop and hang with Crusty?

Have you ever looked up the word "hate" ? Hater is sooo valley girl..

13. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
  14. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    I agree tink, move over and share your :popcorn:

BZ

15. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Well Jeff, I saw BB drinking a pina colada at Trader Vick's...his hair was perfect.

BZ

16. Badbilly

United States
    ...and if anyone missed the perfect doo, I am the guy with the little umbrella in his glass..

17. ZenMoto

ZenMoto New Member

United States
    Map
    This, I do not doubt! lol

My point was (and I'm sure you missed it) that a lot of bikes leak oil, but modern Harleys aren't generally one of them. AMF era, sure. But old Brit bikes are worse, yet somehow they are "iconic" to most sport-bikers (myself included) whereas HDs are just considered crap. ...and let's face it, with a few exceptions, they're both heavy and under performing by any modern definition. The difference, of course, is that Triumph has updated its designs since coming back into business in the early '90s and the rest of the British iron had the decency to simply go out of business. lol

To answer your, stupidly antagonistic, question, the Road King belonged to a buddy of mine who owns everything from a sweet old cafe' CB450 Four to a Ducati 1098R. ...and Marines don't ride bitch, even when we're on the back; we're just "driving from a different position". ;)

And thanks BZ, now I've got Warren Zevon stuck in my head! lol By the way, I haven't been on Crash Club in a loooong time, what's new over there?

18. Badbilly

United States
    This, I do not doubt! lol

>>> Could you wear a carnation in your lapel in case we hook up for Mai-tais..

My point was (and I'm sure you missed it) that a lot of bikes leak oil, but modern Harleys aren't generally one of them. AMF era, sure. But old Brit bikes are worse, yet somehow they are "iconic" to most sport-bikers (myself included) whereas HDs are just considered crap. ...and let's face it, with a few exceptions, they're both heavy and under performing by any modern definition. The difference, of course, is that Triumph has updated its designs since coming back into business in the early '90s and the rest of the British iron had the decency to simply go out of business. lol

>>>Naa, your point as it was is just another rehash from the "master of the obvious" book of wisdom. The more clever and dare I say knowlegeable response woulda-coulda been old Brits are iconic and old Harleydoods are laconic. A bud of mine was US National Sales Manager for Triumph. Prior to that he was in the same position with Avon Tires. Norton like Indian has been passed around like a hooker at a frat party so basically it appears you have little to offer other than a few cliches that have been raked over for years. HD Inc sold amortized tooling to the Japanese in the 1920's as did Ford. Gotta say pal, you got noob written all over yourself.

To answer your, stupidly antagonistic, question, the Road King belonged to a buddy of mine who owns everything from a sweet old cafe' CB450 Four to a Ducati 1098R. ...and Marines don't ride bitch, even when we're on the back; we're just "driving from a different position". ;)

>> Oh My!, are we doing the ex-military boogie again.. My question might be if it was so great at Pendelton what are you doing in Malibu? Had an uncle in the Corps. Asked him what it was he did exactly. He said, "Sir" ( I had a Silver Bar to go with my umbrella and hairdo at the time) " I have coffee with the First Sergeants." One of his major problems at the time was the baby Marines heading for Long Beach and getting thier asses whupped being mouthy to the older and tougher Navy guys.

Just FYI and don't let this get around too much, those pre-AMF Harleys though few in number leaked a bit too.

19. ZenMoto

ZenMoto New Member

United States
    Map
    Actually, no, it was a spin on Gen. Oliver Smith's quote from the Chosin Reservoir, 1950; kinda' famous, thought it would get a chuckle, but I can see you're too busy being internet tough to laugh and have fun. ...or they just don't teach military history in the Navy / you've been living under a rock the past 60 years.

...says the guy with a 20 year old bike with a whopping 65k on the clock. That's what? About 3000 miles a year? Yeah, you're Mr.Motorcycle huh? Why don't you quit harassing people on the internet and go ride your VFR ...or your snowmobile, or something to get the pent-up aggression out of your system.

I don't care what you know, or think you know about motorcycles, you're just another troll. :crazy:

20. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Naw BB is just an excitable boy...well they all said.

BZ