Front end knocking 2007 VFR

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Captamerica, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Captamerica

Captamerica New Member

I'm riding a 2007 ABS VFR and when I hit the brakes it makes a knocking sound in the forks/triple clamp area. It makes me think something is loose and the front end is flexing. It's not but it makes think that is what it is doing. It's just a bit un-nerving. My 5th gen didn't make this noise and I've had it into the dealer and they say it's normal on the 6th gen bikes. The bike rides fine. I've ridden 2500 miles in about 2 1/2 months and I haven't had any problems. The only suggestion I have had is to lighten the pre-load.

Any thoughts?

2. SLOav8r

SLOav8r New Member

It's your head bearings, stop doing wheelies.

3. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    Knocking on the front end is not, I repeat not, normal on the 6th gen. Are you sure it's not your brakes? You can try and to a few hard stops in succession and see if it clears it, however if something is going wrong down there...

Does the knocking rate change with the speed of the bike? Does it correspond to the bumps in the roads?

Sometimes I get a noise but it's the brake pads 100%. After another stop the noise goes away. I wouldn't say the noise is a knocking though, more of a rubbing or scuffing. I am under the impression that the brake issue goes away after some time.

4. Captamerica

Captamerica New Member

This noise only happens when I hit bigger bumps or if I hit the front brakes, and it's definitely not from doing wheelies. It is definitely a knock or a clunk, as opposed to typical brake noise, rubbing, scuffing etc. Here you go you'll love this...you hit the brakes and you get KA DUNK, you let off and hit them again, KA DUNK...don't you just love the sound descriptions.

5. XXFirefighter

XXFirefighter New Member

Still sounds like head bearings...
    DO you wash your bike with water ?

With the bike shut off, sit on the bike put it in Neutral. Apply the front brake so it's locked. Rock the bike forward and back like your trying to "test" the suspension. If you hear knocking from up top, it's your steering bearings.

6. Captamerica

Captamerica New Member

Well when the bike is stopped and the brakes are applied and I don't get the noise or feel the slop as if the steering head bearings are bad. Also, I do wash the bike with water, but it's not quite 3 months old.

7. kia001

kia001 New Member

Either one of two things:
    1) steering head bearings knocking on the race due to excessive clearance.
    or
    2) left front caliper has the linked braking pressure cylinder which pressurises the rear brake system when you brake. The rotational force of the rotor moves the left front caliper in a semi-arc which in turn compresses the brake fluid into the rear serving lines. If you brake bard enough OR if there is air in that secondary cylinder, then it will rotate forward and clunk when the piston bottoms out.

I'd say option one more likely.

8. eddievalleytrailer

eddievalleytrailer Member

United States
    Map
    You'll have to lift the front end off the ground to get a good feel for what's going on. You might put it up on the center stand and have a (heavy) helper sit way back on the seat to lift the front wheel off the ground. Give the front wheel a good shake to feel any slop in the bearings. It might be worth a trip to the dealer and have a mechanic ride it. Still under warranty?

9. Gears

Gears New Member

Try something simple first, make sure the bolts on your front fender are tight.

10. benjammer

benjammer New Member

I'm with Jasonsmith on this one...I've got a '07 and NO noise up front.

11. speedstreetz

speedstreetz New Member

haha WOW i had the same problem on my 05... scarred the shit outta me... it was my plastic key chain... check it...:tongue:

12. Captamerica

Captamerica New Member

Ok, the fender bolts are tight. Yes, it is under warranty and the dealer where I bought the bike has looked at it and they are the ones that told me that the noise is inherent in the 6th gen, which is why I never heard it in my 5th gen.

13. eddievalleytrailer

eddievalleytrailer Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds like you need a different dealer, and report them to Honda Customer Service!!!! (like that would do any good). My '07 RWB makes NO NOISE AT ALL from the front end. I haven't heard your noise, but it sounds like your dealer is full of :bs:. Have they ridden the bike and heard the noise?
    Maybe you could ride another 6gen bike to see if you hear the same noise. I just don't think any front end "clunk" is normal unless it is a key chain or something simple like that.

14. Captamerica

Captamerica New Member

It's definitely not the key chain and I think they are full of it. I doubt they rode it, they said if I lightened the preload that the noise would go away. I could try that but I'm hoping to find other answers first. I need to find "Big3" He lives near me and I think we've met I just don't know his name on here, but he has a 07.

Thanks for the replies

15. medyv

medyv New Member

If it's a brand new bike still under warranty, I'd take it back and start bitching big time. The warranty is comprehensive -- there's no reason you should have to even touch a wrench to that bike until it expires, especially when its so new.

If the dealership keeps blowing you off, report them to BAR or whatever agency oversees their business and go elsewhere. They should give you a hell of a better explanation (and fix) than tweaking the suspension.

16. Jessiah1

Jessiah1 New Member

You said it happens under braking and big bumps, if its not the steering head Im betting on the sudden fork travel. My 2008 brand new forks make an abrupt clunk sorta sound under sudden compression like that. It can sound like something is loose and knocking at times. You may have a case of the new bike phobia I hear something wrong. Maybe not.....but there is a "sucking up a big bump or sudden harsh bump" sound from these suspensions that is close to a "clunk" sound. Thus the comment to loosen up preload which will make the forks intial travel easier and looser which could elminate the sound. Try winding your preload all the way out on the front and go hit some bumps and report back.:smile:

17. Cyborg

Cyborg New Member

United States
    Go somewhere else, don't tell the new shop about the first until you have the results from the second check and you can compare notes without bias. In any case, your dealer is dangerously full of bullshit...

18. vfornicate

vfornicate New Member

I had similar issue with 1998 VFR800. Dealer found steering head bearings had developed a "notch" if you want to call it that. Doing wheelies a lot would cause it, which I don't do, but Pennsylvania roads have huge frost heaves and expansion bumps in the pavement. That constant hit at high speeds sseemed to have made a dent into the bearing's raceway. With the front end off the ground, see if your steering wants to center itself and stop in a "notch". Also if you try the shaking the forks with the front end in the air, be aware that there is play in the center stand that may be misinterpretted as some sort of steering head bearing movement. I had new steering head bearings put in and solved the problem. The whole issue started with me when I noticed that the bike was handling "sloppy" and couldn't determine what was wrong. It had a real un-nerving feelng in fast turns.

19. vfornicate

vfornicate New Member

I also think your dealer is full of it. That front end should make no noises that could be described as thunks with brake application. Could it be that the bushings on the 2 bolts that hold your left (I believe) caliper on were left out. If they were it would make a lot of rattling noises as well and would certainly clunk with brake application.

20. Tonymorr

Tonymorr New Member

I just had a similar problem on my '00 VFR. I'm embarrassed to say that I caused it myself. I'm willing to admit my stupidity if it will help another VFR owner:rolleyes: I found my steering head bearings to be slightly loose. I took the top triple off and consulted my Honda manual to see what it said about how tight to make the steering stem nut. It gives a spec for a certain amount of weight needed to move the bars using a scale. I didn't have a scale so I went by feel. Then put everything back together. After doing so I found that I had a knock exactly as you describe. I didn't notice it untill AFTER I left for a 3000 mile trip to Georgia. It knocked on every freakin bump after awhile. Very annoying! I checked things out and didn't find anything loose. How could tightening something make it seem loose? Well, when I go back to town I went over to a buddies house and put it on his lift. "We'll figure it out" he says. "Hmm, I don't see anything loose, WTF" We decided to just take it apart and loock at the stem bearings. He put a wrench to the top triple clamp nut and..........it was loose. Not finger-loose, but not very tight. We torqued it down to 75 lbs I believe. No more knock! I was mortified. I'm usually very thorough when working on things. I was in a hurry getting things ready to go on vacation so I guess I just didn't tighten it. I coulda sworn I did.......

Give yours a check. It's free, it can't hurt!

Signed;
    Embarrassed in NY (Tony)