Gps

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by ralph66, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ralph66

ralph66 New Member

Map
    i am thing about a gps for my bike, but i do not know how to mount one. also i am looking for a gps that that is good for most weather and has a good map system. any info would be great

2. SCraig

SCraig New Member

Garmin Zumo; Garmin 2610, 2730, 2820. All are good. The 2610 has been discontinued but is still available refurbished at good prices.

I use a TechMount for a Garmin 2820. I use the GPS on both bikes and wouldn't leave home without it if I'm going very far at all.

3. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    I use dead reckoning, or a map before I leave.
    I like my trips to have some amount of "wandering" time built in.

4. scramblerracer

scramblerracer New Member

Map
    RAM mounts are available. For the VFR you can use a 7/8" bar mount without the u bolt and the bolt holes are the same as the tank hold down bolts. You can then get a RAM mount for any GPS or about anything else you might want to mount. They also have a mount that pushes into the steering stem. Search RAM mounts and you will find some info.

5. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I use the Garmin Nuvi 750 although it isn't waterproof. I don't travel too far in the rain anymore so that is pretty much a non-issue for me. I have the RAM mount using the front two bolts of the gas tank. If you plan on riding in the rain the other GPS's mentioned are much better than the Nuvi.

I like the Nuvi 750 because you can plan your trip on the computer, if you want, and then transfer it to the Nuvi. We do that and it is wonderful.

6. SCraig

SCraig New Member

I think most of the Garmin GPS's come with or can use the same software. Mapsource, right? It works pretty well, and I also use it a lot, but it could be improved. I also don't think it will run on Macs so that might be a problem for some.

7. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, Mapsource is for the Garmin's, but you can only upload routes to a few of the Nuvi's.

I have heard that a beta of Garmin software for the Mac is out. Just can't remember where I read that. I have that CRS syndrome. :)

8. ralph66

ralph66 New Member

Map
    Thanks guys:rambo:

9. Marrib

Marrib Insider

United States
    Map
    I was just reading up on the garmin 650 and the nuvi 550. 550's are waterproof but the 650 has the BlueTooth and the cell phone syncing option. I need something too. Does anyone use the BT option on their gps' (if available)?

10. meddle1999

meddle1999 New Member

Map
    I really like my TOMTOM GO720... although not waterproof it has worked very well for me... light rain is not an issue and if things get really hairy i use a ziplock with an elastic around it...and am still able to operate the touch screen with no problems. Im using a ram mount mounted into the steering stem with a post i machined from aluminum. (simmilar to how a bicycle seat post works if youre wondering) . I find this mount very sturdy and easy to adjust on the fly. A simple ignition on 12v relay under the seat powers an outlet in my tankbag to supply power. I opted for a dual outlet so i can charge a phone or run my ipod. The gps is bluetooth ready and will control my Ipod as well with a cable purchased seperatley. (very cheap 9 bucks on ebay). I think the mount only ran me 40 bucks on ebay as well (new). I recently completed an 18 day trip from ontario canada to B.C. Canada. 15000 Kilometers in total. My setup worked flawlessley. hope this helps!!!

11. Timbercat

Timbercat New Member

I have the zumo 550. It is bluetooth compatible and will sinc with all your phone data. A buddy has one and it works perfectly. Also weather, traffic and xm satellite links....for a fee of course!
    Plan to hook up with my next cel.
    Cheers

12. Old VFR

Old VFR New Member

I hear Zumo has lots of good options, like a MP3 player, but is expensive. Does the Garmin Nuvi work well in bright sunlight, or is it hard to see the screen?

13. chomper

chomper New Member

United States
    Map
    I use a cheap bottom of the line Magellan works great in car to get u where u wanna go. have used on the bike does work hard to see in sun and not waterproof . would like one that i can plan my rout on PC then load it on to gps easily. dose any one know if zumo's do that or for that matter any other gps good for MC
    Thanks for any info

14. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    The screen is pretty easy to see in the direct sun. I usually angle mine for the best viewing.

15. kd4ysi

kd4ysi New Member

United States
    Map
    some body makes one specifically for bikes ive been told and cant rember whitchone it isi think it was a garman that offers one for bikes

16. Timbercat

Timbercat New Member

It works well in all light conditions, changes from day to night screen automatically.
    As above u just adjust it the the best angle. A-1

17. Timbercat

Timbercat New Member

The Garmin 550 is bike specific, waterproof and military spec for vibration. Comes with 2 mounts so u have all u need for the car.

18. kd4ysi

kd4ysi New Member

United States
    Map
    yes thatss is it im gonna get me one of them

19. Cardiackid

Cardiackid New Member

GPS and mount (RAM and Garmin Quest)

I give a ditto on the Ram Mounts and I love them. Excellent Quality. I have two mounts one is for my GPS which is a Garmin Quest, it is a little older but can be found reconditioned or secondhand for many hundreds less than the newer MC specific models. Works great for me. I find that 600+ is a lot to spend on a GPS. I know the MC specific fxns are nice, but if you are on a budget the Quest works great. The second mount is for my camera, used it on my trip to Deals Gap. View attachment 5191

Attached Files:

20. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I am giving this thread CPR in order to ask this question. Is this the correct RAM MOUNT to fit into the tank bolts? The bike I'm picking up has a Powerlett outlet in the center of the top triple clamp.
    http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-149Z-UN7U

From Ram Mounts:
    ETA:
    What is the thread pitch etc of the tank bolts?