Icon Airmada Helmet Review

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Mikey30006, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Mikey30006

Mikey30006 New Member

Canada
    Hi All,

Awhile ago I was asking some questions about the Icon Airmada helmet. I ended up buying one from a local dealer who pricematched to fortnine.ca for $145 CAD.

I've had it for a few weeks now and feel comfortable sharing my thoughts on it.

There are a few things I really like:

1) The liner is very comfortable and easily removable

2) The ventilation is really great as long as you're moving over 50 km/h

3) The spoiler thing, although cheesy is actually super clever. Basically, they were aware that a spoiler on a car causes an area of low pressure around the lower side of the traling edge. Icon has positioned exhaust vents right in the spots where this low pressure is generated. With the brow vents open and when moving above 80km/h you can really feel the air being sucked over your head.

4) Once on, the helmet fits very snugly and is confidence inspiring due to it's racy fit

5) Rubber gasket around viewport eliminates annoying whistles.

6) I consider it to be a pretty light helmet.

7) It hasn't fogged up at all yet

8) It's legal for use anywhere in the world including most tracks due to DOT, ECE, SAI and SJ Certification

Things I don't like:

1) the cheek pads are pretty tight and can make my jaw uncomfortable over several hours in the saddle. (they may break in over time)

2) when stationary it's very hot

3) it's quite loud

4) The geometry of the visor is conducive to internal reflections

5) I've decided the pinlock mechanism is a pain in the ass. I hope there's a good reason for its existence.

Overall:

It feels like a quality piece of kit when I wear it. I feel pretty satisfied with my purchase and it fits me really well relative to my old Voss helmet. I'm a relatively inexperienced rider but overall it seems like a great helmet to me. I wouldn't pay the MSRP of $300 CAD but I'd happily pay $150 again for it.

For the record, this is the Slack graphic.

received_10157505205445014.jpg