Lowered pegs for 8th gen - not Knight Design

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by VFR_Mike, May 29, 2017.

1. VFR_Mike

VFR_Mike New Member

United States
    Map
    Is anyone aware of a company that makes lowered foot pegs for the 8th gen besides Knight Design?

I have a pair of the rubber tread lowered pegs form Knight's and I'm not thrilled with them. Went back to the stock pegs, but I miss the extra inch or so of legroom...

Thanks in advance.

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I a set without the rubber and love them, what is problem with yours?

3. VFR_Mike

VFR_Mike New Member

United States
    Map
    I should have gotten the non-rubber one it seems.

So the rubber material is screwed on to the peg from the bottom, no issue there, but there are two air channels in the rubber insert. It seems they intended to "cushion" the pegs and try to isolate vibrations. The result is they squirm and move on the peg. The one thing you want as a rider is to know your footing is solid on the pegs, the rubber inserts on the KD pegs does exactly the opposite.

One additional thing, if you look at your stock pegs you'll notice they are angled slightly to the rear of the bike. This allows the arch of your foot to rest on the peg, making it easier to rotate your foot on the peg above or below the shifter. The KD pegs are both wider than the original pegs, and perpendicular to the bike. Not awful, but a different feel. Maybe a nit-pick, but still. With "design" in your company name, I expect better design.

So ... if there is no one else that makes lowered pegs I can try a couple things. 1) fill the air channels of the rubber inserts with silicone and reinstall them. or 2) remove the rubber insert all together (and gain another 3/4 of an inch drop) and cut some checkering into the aluminum pegs.

4. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    If I am not mistaken, the 8th gen rearsets are identical to the 6th gen. If so, you can get a set of Buell footpegs. You will need to mill off a little bit to have it fit in the rearset, but not anywhere near enough to affect the strength of the footpegs. Then a bushing to accomodate the pin to hold them in place. You will get another inch drop, and the feelers stick out to the side more so you do not lose any clearance while leaned over.

5. VFR_Mike

VFR_Mike New Member

United States
    Map
    Good to know - I'l look around for a set of Buell pegs
    Thanks

6. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
  7. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
  8. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    Damn, that stinks. I thought for sure they were the same. What was different about the 8th gen rearset? Was it more narrow or wider?

9. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I may have to amend my answer. I do not know if stock 6th and 8th gen pegs are interchangeable or not. Looks like they are, sorry if I mislead you. My answer was based on how the BLS 6th gen blocks fit. In the photos you can see BLS blocks add distance in two directions, about an 1/2 inch from mounting bolt then 1/2 inch back at 90 degrees to achieve a drop of 1". In the picture of the KD pegs, you can see they drop directly down and miss shifter pivot bolt.
    Blocks.jpg
    BLS block with aftermarket pegs.
    new pegs.jpg
    Knight Designs
    BLS Block would interfere with pivot bolt.

10. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    Ah! I would not have thought about the shifter bolt. Good thing you brought that up before the OP tried to secure the BLS blocks. I had them for my 5th gen and loved them.

11. VFR_Mike

VFR_Mike New Member

United States
    Map
    Well the Knight Design pegs are back on. Emailed them with a question and never heard back from them, so they probably lost a sale of the lowered non-rubber pegs :( - Anyway, I partially solved my issue with the pegs, I filled the air cavities in each rubber insert with silicone which makes them more firm. The result is the rubberized pegs have less movement under foot when riding. The improvement is noticeable.

marriedman likes this.