Lucky rider

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Allyance, Aug 11, 2017.

1. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I was actually making fun of the headline that I saw on FB. When I read the headline, I giggled, as I am well aware of how a bike steers, I assumed it was the writer of the article who made that claim. In all honesty, when I read the article, I was glad to read that he lived to tell his tale and was rather impressed by his feat but I couldn't help having judgement on how he ended up where he did. Call me a hypocrite or cold hearted but to be honest, riding a motorcycle is a not for everyone and I hope that others who take on the task are prepared to do so. Even if riding away from traffic, you are putting yourself in danger every time you put yourself on a motorcycle. I wish more people understood the responsibility you have to yourself and to others when they do choose to ride a motorcycle. Do I think I'm perfect? No, but I try and perfect my riding anytime I can. I also try and teach and impart some of my experiences and wisdom to others when I can as well.

Lint and dhinson66 like this.
  2. Eagle Six

Eagle Six New Member

United States
    Map
    So you are no better than the rest us.....good to hear.

Maybe this will become a confession thread, where we all fess up to pulling dumb tricks like the rider in the video.......if so, I reckon it's going to be a long thread!

Lint and Ghost_Rider like this.
  3. Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider Active Member

United States
    Map
    Um, F NO! I have done some asinine things in my years on this rock. Surprised I survived my childhood! My list is endless. Am I smarter now? Well, I have less brain cells, so I'm not sure. Can I get back to you? LMAO

Lint likes this.
  4. Ghost_Rider

United States
    Map
    I do think that car drivers have a bigger responsibility than us, as they can cause much, much, more damage when things go awry. So many are not qualified to drive a Radio Flyer wagon, much less a 5000 lb missle whilst chatting on their cell phone and yelling at the kids. Seems like people would rather run over you than look at you these days.

Ride on!

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I will agree with you to a certain degree but many motorcycle crashes, particularly like the one in the article, do not involve other vehicles or for that matter, even animals. So having drivers who need to be MORE responsible is actually a moot issue.

I'm in the mind set that the one party reponsible for getting me home safe is ME, I have to rely on my skills and ability to avoid dangerous situations as best I can. Can I avoid any and all situations, like a distracted drivers, probably not but I have been able to tell which cars to avoid time and time again so far.

34468 Randy likes this.
  6. Ghost_Rider

United States
    Map
    Preaching to the choir hombre.

We are on different pages my man. It was just a general comment that the driver of a car can cause much more carnage than a motorcycle and how many bad car drivers there are on the road. My biggest fear in riding and driving is not killing myself, but the taking the lives of innocent people through fault of my own.

7. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Antelopes Hate me!;-)

8. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Is it the Antelopeses or is it the Alchieholies? ;)

9. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    4 Northbound approaching scene.JPG

Attached Files:

Samuel likes this.
  10. A.M

People who exhibit strength in adversity such as this make more of an impact and awe on me than how their plight happened.

We all are dorks at some point and make dumb decisions.

Just... if this ever happens to me... hope you all arm-chair quarter back my mistakes in a really elaborte way! For example,

"WOW, that WonderWoman A.M really outrode her abilities when taking that 25,000 foot elevation 10mph hairpin at 180 mph on her unleashed 'Busa with these weird VFR fairings under that pitch black midnight sky to then only go 80 pmh on that 60 mph sweeper and hit that black cow. That inept clod, she should have reacted faster and flew over that bovine across the valley onto that 40,000 footer to the NorthSouthWestEast of the bovine's left flank."

Or something like that.

dhinson66 likes this.
  11. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Just so every one knows. I am perfect. My mom says so.

12. A.M

Your mom goes to college...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

13. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I think the more likely scenario is something like this is going to happen to one of and the first thing that we'll be thinking...WWAMD?

A.M likes this.
  14. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    I'm glad the dude survived and I commend his resilience in being able to climb back up with all those injuries. BUT, he has no one to blame but himself. He was doing 68 mph as he entered a 25 mph blind curve overlooking a cliff with no guardrail. On a side note I must say that seeing the dash of this FZ-10 reminds me of just how great the dash of the VFR is with its real tach needle.

According to CycleCruza the dude has said he will never ride again:

15. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Goddamn, that crying dog in that first video hit me really hard.

34468 Randy likes this.
  16. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map

Ya Really. And what do you do then? I suspect that dog received a broken back and it's days were done. But it would not likely die that quick. Who knows how far from veterinarian care they were or where the owners (fuckking bastards) were. What do you do about the dog? I know many down in the USA are packing but could you put that dog down, or should you. Most places we don't carry guns. Then what. Use a knife on the throat. Do you know how to cut circulation to a dogs carotid artery? I know with humans but not with a dog. That would be a relatively painless death.

I have no sympathies to owners of dogs and cats who's animals get seriously injured or killed on the road. Or eaten by coyotes. If you cherish you animal, keep it contained. We do and the dogs have dome just fine. My first wife hit a dog that ran out in front of here. Killed it. She was a dog lover and she was devastated by that for quite a while. Too bad she did not hit the dog owner instead.

17. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Had to kill video when I heard the dog.