magnetic vs. strap tank bag

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by DVMSVFR, Mar 9, 2008.

1. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map

DITTO In 46 font

2. stellenbrav

stellenbrav New Member

Like everyone says, I wouldn't leave it on the bike all the time and keep the magnets clean. As far as the magnets and cards, I have used a nelson rigg for the last 2 years and constantly throw wallets, digital cameras and cell phones in the bag and have never had a problem or memory loss on the phone or camera.

3. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    Nozzle's Nozzledge

I roded with a strapped bag for five years. It was "secure" to the bike, but still slide back on forth on the tank more than a magnetic bag. The nylon straps will likely rub more than the magnets. It was unclipped at the saddle end and pushed off the tank to fill-up, and if you had blow-back or spilt fuel, it took awhile to get the smell out. :redface: It was harder to remove. One had to undo three clips (much easier than a knife) and could not be pulled off otherwise. If the bike fell over, the bag would still be there I think (never happened to me).

Magnetic bag is easier to get out of the way during fueling and works on multiple bikes :thumb: (so long as they have a metal gas tank/tank cover) They likely rub less, since the bag is stuck to the tank across its surface, not just at three corners. No straps to route under the seat, or clips at the tank-test-tickle zone. :eek:

Factory hardbags do allow you to lock stuff out of site and easy pouring range :wink: but are not convenient to access while riding.

bottom line: I've used a strap-on before, :faint: but like the magnetic tank bag attachment better.:biggrin:

4. DVMSVFR

DVMSVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks again for everyone's input.

5. MonkeyNuke

MonkeyNuke New Member

Does the magnetic tank bag damage other electronics like an Ipod or a laptop?. I have a RKA stap bag that worked great on a previous bike, but I don't think its compatable with the VFR so I have been thinking of a magnetic for quick on and off for commuting and running errands

6. DVMSVFR

DVMSVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Supposedly, if you can put the ipod, etc. in a pocket not directly located on or near the magnet(ex a front pocket closest to the driver) then it should not affect anything.

7. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    My bag has the option of being both. I have never used the straps, just the magnets. I carry a swipe card in the side pockets for access at work. The side pockets are within 2 or 3 inches of the magnet. I have never had any difficulty with the swipe card so I suppose that if it didn't affect the swipe card, it should not affect the electronic devises. I have carried an ipod in the bag itself and had no problems. It has been used this way for over a year now.

8. BJ Sim

BJ Sim New Member

Like a couple others; I've thrown in digital cameras, cell phones, my iPod, my magnetic work badge, and other electronics without issue. I really like the RKA because most of the magnets are on flaps away from the main body so I never think to much about placing electronics in the bag itself.

As for an earlier question about leaving the bag on 24/7. No, I take everything with me when I leave the bike. So the bag is only on the bike when I specifically place it on. The warnings are mostly for people who leave the bag on 24/7 AND have metallic paint. I've hear horror stories (on the web so they MUST be true) of paint getting discolored, but in all my years I've never actually met anyone with this problem or experienced it myself.

9. whiplash

whiplash New Member

If you are worried about paint wear or scratches from magnetic bags, go to www.coolcycle.com and get some of their clear plastic body shields. You cut them to size, they use static to cling so they come off easily, they are thick enough to protect and just washing them renews the static. I've used them for years with a magnetic bag and soft luggage and have no sratches or wear on anything.

10. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Mythbusters pretty much ruled the old magnet theory ruining a credit card full of holes. They had to use a HUGE very powerful magnet to have any effect whatsoever on the CC's. A magnetic tank bag damaging your CC's? You have a better chance of winning the Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstakes!

I used to used the strap on kind for years, but when I bought this bike the guy gave me his magnetic. I love it, and I think I am gonna stay magnetic. You have to make sure to clean underneath it like any tankbag, but it has not stratched my tank. Any kind of tankbag can scratch your tank over time. It depends on how careful that you are about cleaning it. However, I now use a TankSlapper static film to protect my tank, so I don't have to worry about those scratches anyways.

My vote, is to go magnetic. If somebody wants to steal your bag, the fact that it has straps will not slow them down. Magnetic is easier to pick up and carry inside with you as well. I use a backpack just about everywhere on short/long trips because then I don't have to worry about leaving anything on the bike. It comes inside with me.

Attached Files: