Michelin Road 5

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Lint, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Lint

Lint Well-Known Member

United States
  2. OOTV

OOTV Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    It looks like the Pilot RS tread pattern, kind of like the PR4 tread looks like the PP3 thread pattern, but with rain sipes. Have to say I’m liking the RS tires on the 5 Gen, so may try the Road5, at least the rear. May do an RS front with Road5 rear on my 6 Gen, like I’m doing with the PP3/PR4 combo right now.

3. Lint

Lint Well-Known Member

United States
    My only beef with the PR 4 is it likes to lose traction while under acceleration on the "soft" sides of the tire. I have had the rear slide out on me a number of times, nearly highsiding at least three times. The article started the Road 5 is supposed to be better, so who knows? Maybe they have come up with a fix for that.

4. OOTV

OOTV Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    Well, I’ve never had that happen with the PR tires but then again, I’m mostly commuting on the 6 Gen. I will say that the times I’ve had the PP3 do what you describe, is when the tire gets near or to the wear markers and pushing it. The PR is not meant to be used like a pure sport tire, so I can’t fault it for not holding up like one. For moderate or slightly higher paces, it’s held its own for me.

5. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Well-Known Member

Canada
    Map
    Interesting. Now I understand what they do to improve the sipes for wet weather. Makes sense to me now. Teardrop shaped sipes. am not putting the high annual mileage on mine these days so I suspect it may be a couple years before I need new tires. Then again, I have started working again 50 miles away from home. If full time ever kicks in, that could make for some high annual mileage in which case, I might be in need of these tires. Anyone know if their light truck and passenger car tires have the same teardrop design in the sipes on them? When winter is over and I remove my snow tires, I am in need of new summers. I have used nothing but Michelins on my truck and SUV for years. Same think with wife, son and daughter's cars. Now they get what they want. I am out of that now. Time for them to buy me tires for my truck.

6. Lint

Lint Well-Known Member

United States
    OOTV,
    I've only lost grip on back when I pushed acceleration while leaned over, ironically, that's when you need it the most. The new tire is supposed to surpass the 4 in that regard.
    http://markets.businessinsider.com/...he-MICHELIN-Road-5-Motorcycle-Tire-1006641992
    Randy, the Road 5 technology comes directly from their automotive street tires, the Michelin Premier A/S, so yes, you can get this for your cars and SUVs!

Link to look up the tires for your vehicles:
    https://www.michelinman.com/tire/mi...FY2B4b_Rmy6GcU6-1RHi7kTcTCcRzGZsaAn8BEALw_wcB

34468 Randy likes this.
  7. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Active Member

United States
    Map
    One tire to rule them all.
    Straight outta Mordor. :Fish:

Lint likes this.