My terrible experience with Powerlet

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Lint, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    This is the email I sent to Revzilla regarding my view of Powerlet products. It sums up how I feel about them.

To summarize the problems I have had, with the first microUSB charger I bought from Revzilla, the part that connects to my phone was loose within three rides. I called Powerlet and they exchanged it with their Dual USB charger. Failed after about 3 rides. Exchanged it with another, same issue, exchanged it with another, failed. I was told by their tech (after the 3rd time) that they have been having problems with the circuit board inside cracking and they are trying to get the problem fixed with the manufacturer. 3 Times in a row. I then thought that I would try the MicroUSB charger again, so if it failed, I could return it to Revzilla for a refund. Sure enough, with the third or fourth time of using it, failure.

I am bewildered with the level of ineptitude that they have with their products. Absolutely stumped that they charge $50 for this trash. Now I have a Powerlet socket that works on my bike, but no way of using Powerlet chargers. What a joke. Just complete junk.

Save yourself the headache, use something else. I have given this company ample opportunity to demonstrate that they are capable of making a good product, and they have failed at every turn.

The only redeeming part of this is that I bought it from Revzilla in March so I will get a refund.

What else should I try?

IMG_20161021_150200739.jpg 20161021_145252.jpg 20161021_145235.jpg 20161021_145218.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Wow, how sad and frustrating, but boy I like how you tell it like it is, good for you ;)

3. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I have only used their power outlet, had a BEL 995 radar detector plugged into it for three years and 9,000 miles. Never had a problem. Sorry your experience was the polar opposite.

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Similar experience as Norcalboy. All of my Powerlet products seem to be working. I have their Powerlet to USB adapter, Powerlet to Powerlet/Cigarette lighter 'Y' cable, a Powerlet to RJ11 power cable for radar detector and Cigarette to USB adapter, all of which I use with the center column Powerlet outlet. Not sure why you're having so many issues. Personally I think you need to come by and let me help you get you setup like I did my 5 Gen!

5. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Hi OOTV, I need to do something. I'm so frustrated. Five chargers in seven months, that's including fifteen days shipping time between the different items and I haven't been riding much recently. I have found a dual USB device on Amazon Prime that has excellent reviews, I may check that out. I am kind of wondering if my bike is overcharging, but there are the three dual USB converter that died and their rep said they have had circuit boards breaking. I know that the transformer on the MicroUSB that had just died was very hot today. I can't imagine that my bike is pumping out too much voltage without killing my battery or frying my R/R.

6. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Maybe their new stuff is bad, while the old stuff is good, that's my gut feeling. With the breaking circuit boards, I have a feeling that's what happened.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016