new bike

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by reg71, Feb 28, 2007.

1. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I can't remember if I posted or not, but I bought another bike. This one is for my wife again. She wanted something smaller to learn on and she liked this one better. I'll upload a pic here for you. It's an 89 Ninja 250. [​IMG]

As you can see it has a few issues, but she feels more comfortable with it and likes the look of it well enough. Now for a few questions for you guys. The owner lost the keys so I bought a full key/ignition/helmet lock set on ebay. Now, here's the catch, how do I get the gas cap off without being able to use a key. I took out all the screws, but there is one that you have to flip open the gas cap to get to. I need to do this without damaging the tank of course. I had one hell of a time getting the old broken ignition off already, but it's off. I haven't even looked at the helmet lock/seat lock yet. Anyone done this yet?

2. dskelton

dskelton New Member

If you still have the old ignition switch there might be some numbers on it that either a locksmith or the dealer can make a key from, assuming the tank and ignition keys were the same.

3. rmcobb

rmcobb New Member

Map
    Hey Reg,

The 250 is a great little bike, my wife rode one for 3 years.......and loved it. Made a big difference in her learning.

Short of a locksmith, or getting a new key made based on the number from the old ignition....don't know what to tell you.

Getting that ignition out was a joy huh! They use breakaway bolts so you can't just remove the ignition from the triple clamp.........I'd be interested to know how you did it.

I was replacing the triple clamp on an EX500 and found out you can't just remove it....I ended up taking a hack saw to it and cutting the ignition out.....but then I was replacing the triple so the old one was considered trash anyway.

Good luck..........don't be afraid to wind that little 250 up........it lives best above 9K rpm's

4. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    what the?? thats not a VFR 250 LOL

5. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    they wanted $160 minimum to do it that way. too much for me. I got a full set with keys on ebay for $26 so that's much better. Hopefully I won't have to sawsall the crap outta there. I was thinking I could probably drill out the locks and go from there.

Let's just say, if you can't get it out, you need a bigger hammer! hehe Seriously, though. I used my minisledge and a screwdriver and I negotiated the removal process accordingly.

Well, this one kind of came up all of a sudden and we thought what the hell. She really had an eye for the white 250. She had her mind set that a 500 was too big, and she is fond of a full fairing.

6. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    understand, but that little VF500 is a sweetie too

7. dskelton

dskelton New Member

8. DANIMAL

DANIMAL New Member

I drilled out the lock on my 86 vfr large enoughto ruin the tumblers and then opened as cap with a screwdriver . after that i took the gas cap apart and replaced lock cylinder

9. Jaymz

Jaymz New Member

Map
    Reg, If you lived on the East Coast I would offer to take the 500 off your hands. I would take the better of the two for myself and turn the other around for a little profit. I have people ask to buy mine all the time. there aren't any around this neck of the woods. I kind of like it that way though makes mine stick out. I love the fact that no one knows what the hell it is.

10. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah, that was the cost to make a key if I gave them the numbers. I told them I'd prob just figure something else out. Then I looked on ebay and low and behold an auction for the full key/lock set for a 250 was listed.

yeah, I like it, too. I have an alternate plan for it I think. (see below)

cool. thanks, danimal, that's exactly what I was wondering about doing.

Well, a while back we had a new user on the board here saying he was looking for a first bike and that he was a 15 yr old with limited riding experience, etc. well, that kid is my son. I guess he chose to ask on the board anonymously so as not to get me too excited in case it turns out that it's not for him. The last time I got him a bike, he didn't take to it quickly. He's used to learning quickly so he got frustrated and scared (it was a YZ 80) and gave up. Anyway, when he comes out this summer, we'll be working on his riding with a Dr 100 and the ninja 250. If he decides to, we'll prob let him have the little VF. we'll see how it goes. I'm hoping to get him and my wife signed up for an MSF course together.