Odometer Quit Working

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by nicholas042416, Jun 1, 2017.

1. nicholas042416

nicholas042416 New Member

United States
    Just bought a 1998 VFR800

The guy that sold it was super nice and cared greatly for the bike. He was open told me the bike had clocked about 72,000 before the odometer quit. It just shows dashes now. Do I need to replace the whole screen or what's the deal here. It should have around 80,000 on it now and I am gonna take care of this thing in every way possible because I hear they can literally last forever if you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    Check the speed sensor at the front sprocket.

3. nicholas042416

United States
    That would cause the odometer to display completely blank? It's just dashes where the mileage is supposed to be.

4. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

If the speedometer functions correctly, but the odometer and the trip meter aren't functioning...then there is a fault with the meter itself. If the speedometer isn't functioning, in conjunction with a failed ODO and Trip Meter display, then check the plastic coupler for the speedo sensor at the countershaft sprocket. If the coupler is fine and the 3P Natural connector connecting the sensor wiring to the wiring harness is not disconnected, there is a voltage test you can perform to determine if the speedometer sensor itself has failed.

5. nicholas042416

United States
    Speedo works fine. I think the display is just messed ip

6. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Yep, the meter has failed.

7. nicholas042416

United States
    What are my options? Buy a whole new one and have it flashed to guestimated mileage?

8. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

9. vegaquark

vegaquark New Member

Spain
    Mine was not working when i purchased the bike. But it was just because of some corroded plain wires on the back of the dashboard... Diassembly it and check each wire for continuity... Then use a soldering iron to solder some wire over the corroded parts... Honda should've protected those wires better.

10. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I now leave you in the capable hands of Vegaquark.

11. vegaquark

vegaquark New Member

Spain
    Send us some pics of the back of the cluster!

12. nicholas042416

United States
    Will do when I have a few days off. This place is awesome, you guys aren't friendly and knowledgeable. I'm used to 98% A Holes in forums.

13. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Um, what?! :wink:

14. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

You would be correct in your assessment that we aren't friendly and knowledgeable, hahahahahahahahahahahahaha:biggrin-new:

15. nicholas042416

United States
    Well I am fast accumulating problems. I have finally gone for my first ride, and pushed my first 500+lb bike home....more on that in a min. I rode with my wife so she can practice this evening. She has a CBR300R and is learning. I verified that the fans were in fact not kicking on. I shut the bike off a few times but left the ignition on and nothing, temps were around 190-200. I rode some more and they crept up to the 210-216 range. Finally at a light that lasted as long as the earth is old it crept up to 221 and I'm pretty sure the fans kicked on, it started dropping fast to about 212 and stayed there and I felt some airflow around the radiator area with my hands. Now I could have turned the bike off and listened but I remember the guy I bought it from telling me that when it got hot a few times it wouldn't start....DING DING DING DING!! I get home cut the switch BEFORE going up my steep driveway to talk to my wife, come back....dead as a rock. Flip the side stand up (makes a difference for some reason) and it mildly tires to move one piston. I figured (stupidly so) oh I guess the battery is just junk. I pushed it backwards up the steep driveway and rolled down and bumped it in second (fired right up) she hops in the back so I can take her for a quick stroll. As we go down my sub division about 15 in first I noticed it sounded like it was having ignition issues (sputtering). Being the seasoned mechanic I am I should have headed back right then....but I convinced myself it's just the bike loping along. I took and started for the main road. I run up to about 40 and lose the headlights out of no where! I'm farting around with the switch and the lights are doing there own thing lol. I pull the clutch to head in to the station and BAM it's dead in the water boys!! We're going down every man for himself! It's deader than dead now, ain't no bump starting this bad boy. I've been researching and I can probably safely guess it's the regulator/rectifier. It looks to me like there's a solid fix for this if that's the case.....although everyone seems to think a certain kit and wiring harness is the best. I've already ordered a fan switch that can be manually turned on or if left in the off posterior lets the fans function off the heat switch as factory spec. I suspect the bike never really had a over heating issue, probably a R&R issue. PLEASE GUIDE ME OH GREAT ONES. oh also its definitely like half a quart or more over full on oil. The sight glass is buried, you have to lean left to see anything unless you check the bike running? My old Honda Shadow you checked when it was off

16. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I think what might help first is cleaning up your HUGE paragraph! :wink:

I would definitely have the battery load tested and then do "the drill" on the Stator and RR. There are numerous post on how to check these components. While you're at it just check the wiring harness for corroded grounds and /or other signs of wiring issues.

nicholas042416 likes this.
  17. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Well, that certainly changes things. I did get a kick out of the holy wall of text.

18. nicholas042416

United States
    Ha ha ha, sorry guys. I'll run the standard gambit and let y'all know what I find. It'll probably be week or so due to work :/

19. nicholas042416

United States
    I think what I'm gonna do now is just go through some of the standard things on the bike just to make sure everything is safe and sound.

I intend to replace the water pump impeller, the feel filter, possibly the air filter I need to see what kind is on it, and the spark plugs.

Supposedly the bike has a power commander on it I'm not sure because I haven't actually looked underneath to see. If it actually does anybody know what kind of power this actually adds to the bike or mileage.

Also I ordered as I said before the fan switch that supposed to let the regular temperature switch function when it's in the off position and I also ordered a voltmeter for the dash.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  20. OOTV

OOTV Insider

As far as how much power the Power Commander can add, that would depend on whether it was properly tuned. For the most part, these get put on to help smooth out fueling issues, mainly on the 6 Gen but on the 5 Gen too in some cases. If there is a PC on the bike, it might be good to go to Dynojets website and download the software for the PC version that you have. Then connect to it and retrieve the map that is in there. Then you can compare it to other "off-the-shelf " maps and seed it is off-the-shelf or modified/tuned. That or ask the PO who did the tune if they actually had one done.

Regarding the other things you mentioned, I usually flush/fill all of the fluids and do a clean/check/replace of the air filter. Depending on what the condition and type it is of course.