Problem after installing K&N Filter??

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by woodcycl, Jun 12, 2003.

1. woodcycl

woodcycl New Member

I installed my K&N air filter last night on a 03' VFR. I rode 2up tonight for a 75 mile ride on back roads primarily. I experienced a noticeable lag or drop-off when riding at a constant speed ... ... especially when going up an incline or hill. Generally, I kept my RPMs between 4k and 6k. It felt sort of like it would feel if you were running out of gas ... and when air was sucked instead of gas ... you'd feel the bike (or car) kind of backoff or sluggish moment. Does that make sense or is it understandable? It would only drop a few RPM's ... or maybe a .5 to 1mph when it would happen.

Does this have anything to do with my K&N install? It appeared there was only ONE way for the filter to be installed ... due to the unique assymetrical shape of the filter and airbox.

Also -- I noticed a LOT of hot air rising from the engine area on the Right side of the bike. And, the black tubing that is about 3/4" in diameter that is under the tank and to the right side .. :eek:.. was touching part of the .... I guess that's the side/top of the carburator which was very hot.

Did I do something wrong when placing the tank back on top of the air box, etc.? Is there a wrong way for the tubes/cabling that goes underneath the tank to lay?

Any help is appreciated.

2. woodcycl

woodcycl New Member

Follow-up: I took the tank off again and everything is in place as it should be -- the cables/tubes are routed using clips ... so there is very little I could do to mess that up.

Any ideas?

3. rshimmel

rshimmel New Member

Well, the motor is known to have a "flat spot" between 4-5K rpm and I've felt a hesitation or bog there on my 02, especially if traffic is such that I'm kind of limping along at low speed. Other folks on this forum have mentioned it too. The solution for me is to never ride in that range, but to stay above 5-5500 rpm. It's safer anyway cause you'll get much quicker throttle response and better engine braking. You've probably noticed that if you just accellerate through that 4-5K range there's no noticeable lag, it's just when you're at a relatively constant speed. I don't know if a Power Commander will eliminate the flat spot, but I don't think your K&N would have caused it. Having two-up probably made it feel worse cause the motor was working harder. Ride safe!

4. woodcycl

woodcycl New Member

Hi Rick,

Yeah, I kind of wondered about that. But, I didn't notice it the first night I had the bike when riding 2up ... although she and I only rode 30 miles that night.

Also - it seems like I remember keeping it up around 7k or 8k on a long steady streath at an even RPM ... and feeling it there a little too.

When I get off work ... I'll ride it a little by myself and see if I notice it. I hadn't noticed it on a 200 mile trip I took last weekend by myself at all.

5. Link

Link New Member

Not trying to be a wise guy or anything but did you peel out the old air filter gaskets out before you put the K&N in?

6. woodcycl

woodcycl New Member

Link -- I read past posts about gaskets needing to come out.  However, I didn't see any such gaskets or the like in my air box ??

I will check again though -- just in case.

7. Link

Link New Member

woodcycl,2 months ago I installed a K&N On my y2k vfr and on the K&N box it said to remove the old gaskets, maybe the new vtec air filter housing covers are different? if not, there should be gaskets inside the recesses where the two covers mate together,if the gaskets are not removed the covers won't snug together properly,this may not have anything to do with your problem,I'm a drywall finisher not a mechanic

8. woodcycl

woodcycl New Member

Link -- Yep, there was a gasket in the lid and bottom. The gaskets blended in so well that it just looked like molded black plastic. Live & learn! Thanks for the heads up which led me to check again.

I'm still having a problem though ... now that the gaskets are out.

I found a hose coming up from 1 of 3 of the drain tubes that is just laying underneath the gas tank. Not sure where it is supposed to go. But, I'll be that is the culprit to my problem.

9. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

Hmmm... I should have read this post before responding to the one about the tube in your pictures. I would suspect that the hose might be a vacuum line. I highly recommend getting a manual for the bike, it will easily pay for itself in the time it saves you ;)

Just as a footnote, adding the K&N to both of my VFR's made the throttle much more responsive in all RPM conditions. My 98 has the PCII and a pipe added, but the 01 has the filter only. The filter made a nice difference on both bikes.

10. woodcycl

woodcycl New Member

Thanks Tourmeister -- I look forward to alleviating the sluggish symptom as it is most definitely taking away some of my increased performance, etc. I rode 250 miles with two friends on the back twisty roads of Southern Indiana and this problem was quite noticeable.

I even went into a local Honda Dealership today (not with my bike) and explained exactly which tube that it is ... they still did not have any clue even with their manual in front of them.

I did order a manual for $30 -- but may not receive it till next week. I guess I'll have to take the bike into a dealership and let them figure it out. But, I'm definitely going to be there when they do -- as I'm stumped to where it should be attached.

11. woodcycl

woodcycl New Member

Update on the wandering hose:

After waiting 2 days for one of my 2 local honda dealers to look at the hose, It was determined to be the Air Vent Hose that goes under the tank. BUT .... it's not the hose that is visible under the tank. That hose connects right next to the Overflow Hose .... and then both of those hoses follow the line of the tank down the center to the back of the tank and down underneath and inside the frame. Right at that point is where the hose becomes TWO hoses connected by the white plastic thru-coupling I mentioned.

They charged me .2 of an hour which ended up being $15 ... I guess that's not too bad. However, I can't imagine how proping up the tank to put in the K&N would've caused that hose to come loose.

Oh well .... it's fixed now! And, I also received my 02-03' Manual today in the mail. So, from now on .... I can more easily figure this stuffout without paying someone else!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!