Reggie's World 2011 - high bandwidth alert

Discussion in 'USA - West' started by reg71, Jan 17, 2011.

1. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Ah, it has been some time younglings. The winter days keep coming and I sit here in my recliner brooding. So much rain. Could be worse I suppose. Could be ice or snow.

It's Saturday. What's this I hear? Hmm, the buzz of an I4 cruising by my house. Mayhaps I should peek my head out and see what mother nature is up to.

Ah, 70 degrees and clear as bottled water. The road's a' callin'. I doff my slippers and don my leathers with a grin already creeping up to the edges of my mouth. It's been too long. I have ridden a bit here or there, but no rides just for the sake of riding this year. That is until today.

[​IMG]

I head west on hwy 41 at a meandering pace. As I said, it has been some time and who knows if I can still ride. I see a little side ride that'll give me a chance to slip out of the main way and warm up a bit. No through traffic to speak of.

[​IMG]
    (how'd ya like to paint that fence back there?)

Anyway, I creep up Los Altos Rd more for the feel of the breeze and the view than for the ride itself. It's nice scenery especially with the hills and the babbling brook running along down between.

[​IMG]

At the top, I turn on to San Marcos Rd and take a gander back towards home for a bit. It's a beautiful day. One of those days where I remember why I moved here. (Well, besides my wife <g> )

After gawking a bit, I climb back aboard and casually ride on back down to hwy 41 to rejoin the traffic through the pass. I let many of them slide on by and I wait a bit. Once I see the next clump coming, I jump ahead and then cruise at a slow pace, but fast enough not to slow them. I'm letting the further group move on a bit. There's a set of curves coming, and I own them.

The curves flow beneath me and the vfr sticks them effortlessly at this pace. If we were dancing, it'd be my first waltz of the night as I stretch out the legs and kind of flow with the music. I make it over to Morro Bay for a quick stop and a glance at Big Blue. The temp has dropped to 64 degrees, but that's a nice day in Morro Bay. People are out all over. Lot's of bikes, convertibles, surfers, etc. No one wants to miss one of the first good days this year.

[​IMG]

And I glance back towards the south to take in Morro Rock. It seems lonely out there in the water by itself.

[​IMG]

Now, as I am riding, I have been doing a lot of thinking. I'm thinking about harmony and balance and those type of things. I have been reading a lot about Pythagoras and other philosphers and the ancient mystery schools. They are thought provoking if nothing else. Normally, I cut right off Hwy one on old creek rd and head north, but today for some reason I decide to just stay on Hwy 1 for a bit. I am familiar with it, but subconsciously, I think it was calling me here.

[​IMG]

A little town. Not far north of Morro Bay. Not much is left there. A post office. A few buildings. You can get hand blown glass, pottery, wine, and maybe step back in time for a bit. It's just off the hwy, but I've never stopped before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I only stay for a bit, then it's back on Hwy 1 going north. The scenery alternates between sandy beaches and rocky shores on my left and wrinkled green hills on my right as I continue my journey. After a few miles, I start to see the mountains jutting up above the wrinkled hills and know it's almost time to turn east.

I make my way on up to Hwy 46 and head east with a quick stop for a pic or two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I climb back down the hill cursing my shadow for insisting on getting in the picture but with the sun barreling toward the see, all the shadows are getting longer. Not far from home now. I do take a little side road that I always like called Pine Mountain. It's rough and often has debris, but the trees stretching across the road remind me of the arches of a nave.

It just loops me back out to hwy 46 again, then it's a short ride down vineyard to get me back to a-town with a feeling of peace and a few more miles on the old VFR. It's good to be home.

Please excuse the picture quality. All I had to shoot with was the iPhone and it's a mediocre camera on a good day.

2. SilverSurferRWB

SilverSurferRWB Member

United States
    Map
    Absolutely poetic! Makes you want to plan a big get together and invite all your friends to join you in experiencing the same roads. What a great idea! (hint, hint, hint...):heh: Always a pleasure reading your ride posts; makes you feel like we're right there with you...

3. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    nice reggie...... glad yopu were able to get out and stretch scratches legs a bit during all this crappy weather we have been having....

4. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Great write up. A side question though, is a high bandwidth warning necessary anymore? It's safe to assume that we've moved from the AOL beep beep dialup days.

5. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    On a serious note, well done. SS called it poetic, and that is a great description.

On another serious note, if I were to write something like that about a ride I took and my wife were to read it, I hear for the next 12 months about "why can't you talk to me like that... I swear you love that bike more than me..."

She better hurry up and bring me my ham and cheese sammich.

6. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    you have never seen reggies wife....pretty sure he is that poetic with her as well....besides she knows...... she lets him have 20 plus smelly M/C riders crash at their house for three days AND she feeds them.... A saint she is I tell you....

either that or if she hears him talking that way she knows its the bike and not another woman.....

7. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

Thanks Reg. I needed that.

Panoramic views and vistas like that are only long forgotten daydreams for me this time of year.
    The world it would seem is a very different place outside my backdoor.

Alright enough of the sappy waxing poetic,I gotta go build me a snowman. :smow: :lol:

[​IMG]

8. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    As I sit here in my "Dad's Chair" sipping my second Firestone DBA beer after work, I recall some high spirited rides along the California coast.
    I lived there at one time and visited our Friend Reg on a regular basis.
    They are some beautiful roads, allowing views of some of the most beautiful scenes God created.
    Alas, I no longer live in California. It is January.

But it was still 74 friggin degrees here. TOMORROW I RIDE!!!!!!

9. SLOav8r

SLOav8r New Member

Good stuff!

80 degrees here today, and I'm battling the gnarliest sinus infection.

And speaking of weather, time to make fun of Rich on his 6 month assignment in Alaska...
    CLICK CLICK CLICK

10. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    well since today was family day...I took a little ride this evening..it was still pretty warm in the mid 60's so I rode over to the pier, spent some time out on it then hopped over to grab a hot cup a joe....
    firast I thought I could take a nighttime cruise but they were closed, plus I don't think they would have allowed mr to take the bike on board..
    [​IMG]
    then I visited the cannon (you can't see it but its behind the bike)
    [​IMG]
    here is a better shot the cannon is to the right but cell phone camera sucks
    [​IMG]
    then I sat and watched a softball game for a few innings...one of the teams got crushed!!!!!!!! I watched 9 runs get scored with two outs.
    [​IMG]

then on to get a cup a joe
    [​IMG]

11. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Glad you able to put some miles on her :) Thanks for sharing.
    Everytime reading your post I feel like reading Mark Twain
    Is always a pleasure to read your story. Jason and I wwaiting for you for another road trip hint.....hint....

12. leftcoast

leftcoast New Member

United States
    somewhere near Seattle, but my heart is just north
    Map
    I left the cencoast right after the last deluge & have been in SEA for 3 weeks....where you can pretty much guess what the weather has been.
    I'll be back for a week starting Thursday & intend to get back on the road maybe nepenthe...maybe foxen canyon - the forecast is for Clear & 60's.
    looking forward to it. thanks for the reminder Reg!

13. Highjnx

Highjnx New Member

I'm Insipired

Thanks for posting that up Reggie. I'm heading down from Seattle to ride with LeftCoast Bob this weekend. :cool:

14. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    107 days since I last rode a motorcycle. Killing me.

15. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Toe is getting to comfy on his couch.....Lazy a$$ hahaha

16. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    not really Long... he sits in the garage on the bike and makes vroom vroom noises

17. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    Brings back good memories, thank you Reg.

18. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I'm working on the dates with Terri. She like Memorial Day again, but last time we talked about the traffic and such. We are still discussing. June is all booked up. Our daughter is getting married so that takes priority whether I like it or not.

19. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    yeah, I definitely needed it. I was bout a half bubble off plumb lately.

20. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    prob not, but I stuck it up there just in case someone is at work and trying to skim they'd know that the message has a lot of pics.