Removing Honda original panniers

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Zeppel, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Zeppel

Zeppel New Member

United Kingdom
    Hi guys! First post here :) need some help!

So I bought a used VFR800 VTEC that came with the original Honda panniers. Unfortunately, they make me too wide and a "scratch" risk for cars, so I'm getting rid of them and getting a Givi topcase (and the Givi rack is incompatible with the panniers rack, so another reason for them to go).

So, I was going about dismounting the racks to put them up for sale on Ebay, and noticed that besides the usual tightening points, they're also attached behind the license plate. Is that license plate mount a standard thing, or is it an add-on the previous owner(s) put in when the kit was fitted - do I need to disassemble it and include it in the sale?

I don't know anyone else around here with a VFR800VTEC to go and have a look, and I'm worried about selling the racks and then the buyer coming back with "this doesn't fit behind my license plate" complaint.

Anyone?

Thanks!

2. GigemVFR

GigemVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    There are instructions here that should show parts list and how to install that shows what you would need to remove. Think this will work with your year model. You need to be member to download the instructions but you can sign up for free. I do not know of any other way to post these for you to use so you will just have to get them from there. good luck.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/files/file/72-vfr-oem-pannier-installation/

3. Zeppel

Zeppel New Member

United Kingdom
    Perfect! The license plate bit is in fact part of the kit... more stuff to disassemble :)

Thanks!

4. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    Don't forget the bolts....the long bolts that hold it at the grab handles need to go with the kit. You'll have to find some original short bolts if you want to keep your grab handles installed after you remove the racks.