Santa Margarita-Parkfield 6-29-07

Discussion in 'USA - West' started by reg71, Jun 30, 2007.

1. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Hey guys. We did another ride with Jake. This was his first group ride and his first real ride on his Ninja 500. Hopefully, I won't screw the names up too bad. We met up with Barrie(FJ), Marc(BMW), Mike(BMW), in Santa Margarita yesterday. From there we headed east on Hwy 58 for a short bit until it became Pozo Rd. We followed Pozo Road for a few miles and then turned left on Las Pilitas. That's were I started taking pics.

[​IMG]

Here's Jake crossing a small bridge on Las Pilitas...

[​IMG]

Here are the guys waiting for me at the end of Las Pilitas...

[​IMG]

Here are a couple shots on Parkhill Rd heading back towards Hwy 58. I have to interject that this is when I started noticing the heat. Before we were just getting started so I wasn't thinking about it, but we were just cruising so I had time to reflect on my situation since I was back in the back. My situation was hot! Especially my crotch situation with those reinforced pants I wear for riding. Anyway, to continue...

[​IMG]

At the end of Parkhill Rd, we hung a right onto Hwy 58 East for a couple miles. I only got one pic of this section since I wanted to ride it harder. The locals call this first section 13 turns or some such. It's a climbing S curve with wide lanes, decent surface, broad sweeping arcs. It's very fun. You guys would like. Come on by and I'll take you there. It's 10-15 miles from my front door, AND it's on the way to 229 whiche you have heard Tori, Brian, and myself mention many times...

[​IMG]

After hitting the turns we rode on maybe 1-2 miles then hit 229 back towards Creston. I passed everyone and went through this section at a little brisker pace. ;) Those of you who peruse my articles on a regular basis remember the narrow, technical, new surfaced section of 229 that we love around here. It's almost in my backyard so I have ridden it a few times. I think Jake is starting to like it, too. After getting nearly to the end I parked next to a tree and waited for the guys and got a pic of them coming around a corner...

[​IMG]

Just look at that surface. Does that look like a nice track or what? Anyway, here come the big boys...

[​IMG]

And from here we head on back into Creston to wait for a couple more riders. One of the guys was just picking up his BMW from Bits N Pieces in SLO so we had a rider skip the first section we did and wait in Santa Margarita for him. Then just as we were about to leave without them, they showed up in Creston...

[​IMG]

I was starting to feel like i was in the BMW club at this point. I had to stop waving at other riders or risk ostracism. Just kidding all you BMWphiles...

I should mention that we lost the BMW rider that had picked his bike up earlier lost a mirror while going down Hwy 41 so he turned around fearing that other bit n pieces might fall off. Hopefully the shop will take care of him.

From here, we headed down to Hwy 41 and then went North til it met Hwy 46 and then went east for a few miles. We turned on Cholame Rd which becomes Pakfield-Coalinga Rd. I don't really recommend Cholame Rd for riding unless you are just using it to bypass something. It's rough, straight, hot, dirty, and generally no fun until just before you get to Parkfield. I got a couple pics at the end, though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's one of Jake crossing a bridge near Parkfield...

[​IMG]

And then the gratuitous San Andreas fault pic that I take every time I bring someone new out here...

[​IMG]

It was here that Jake told me his bike was making a funny noise. After walking over to it, I immediately noticed that it sounded like it was overheating (bubbling). I looked at the gauge and it was running pretty hot. We had forgotten to check his coolant level before leaving and as I mentioned earlier, it was hot! Anyway, we were less than a mile from the restaurant so we cruised on in there and parked it in the shade for a bit.

[​IMG]

Here we stopped and had lunch and let the bike cool off. Jake found a couple new friends of the 4 legged variety that kept him busy for a bit. This lab was crackin us up with his personal bath.

[​IMG]

After lunch we loaded up and headed into San Miguel for a fuel stop if anyone needed it and to let Jake's bike cool again. Believe it or not, I was only at a half tank after more than 80 miles. Pretty good for me. I did get a couple shots on Parkfield Rd. That's another section of road that's pretty fun. A much better way to go to Parkfield than from the other direction. I have a couple shots before we made it to Miguel.

[​IMG]

After Miguel, we got on 101 south for just a sec then took San Marcos back to the south. At this point I just took off my gloves and held te camera in my left hand and just snapped pics as we went.

You'll love this one, I caught Jake blowing a corner. is spped wasn't too much, I think he was just afraid to lean into it enough.

[​IMG]

His pace is actually improving on a daily basis. e worried me a couple time with newbie mistakes like passing in a blind spot once, and blowing two curves. Luckily we stayed on roads without too much traffic, but you guys know what can happen if you get into the no-no zone at the wrong time...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Somewhere these pics change from San Marcos to Chimney Rock, but I may have mislabeled some of them. Regardless, they are all in North San Luis Obispo Cty, going around Paso Robles to the west.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we turned onto Adalaide Rd. Here's a couple pics of Barrie. I forgot to mention earlier that Don (FZ1) that I had met on the ride to the BMW dealer a few weeks ago met up with us in Parkfield and did the return portion of the trip with us. I don't have any pics with him, though as he was way ahead of me and Jake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we headed up onto Vineyard. Those who follow my saga may remember Vineyard as my nemesis. It was on a particularly strange section of this road that a tar snake bit me and gave Scratch her name. I'll have some pics of the curve as we get there. Jake didn't even know it as he was going around but he went right by where I crashed. The next pic I took because I thought the trees looked neat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next set is the curve where I crashed but coming from the opposite direction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And we made it through safely. Even with me riding one handed and taking pics. I had many more pics, but I tried to thin them out some as I know my posts get looooooong, and some of my readers are of an advanced age so we don't know how much time they have left. (Sorry just had to throw that in for Barrie as he noticed my last subtle dig at our veteran riders) Anyway, I think I have one more pic on Vineyard of Jake in the mirror.

[​IMG]

From Vineyard we headed all the way back to Templeton Rd and then home. I went ahead and stopped for a final pic on a tight left hander. This pic is about 2 miles from my house. During today's ride we never were farther than 40 miles from my front door, yet we rode around 150 miles. As always, my invitation for riding is always open. If any of you guys want to check out the central coast, I'd be happy to ride with you and even snap a few pics for you to take back home.

[​IMG]

Until next time, keep the shiny side up...

2. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    Great write up and pics Reg, One common noob mistake I'm noticing is how much Jake's brake light is on, even in the middle of corners :eek:

[​IMG]

3. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for all the pics Reg & Jake. I'll let you know if my sons and I ride across the US to your neck of the woods. Glad to see everyone is doing great. - Paul

4. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Hmm, I didn't notice his brake light in the corners, but looking at the pics it looks like it's on. I wonder if his taillight is just bright. I'll have to mention it to him and take a look. I did notice while perusing the post that I'm missing lots of H's. I noticed it some when typing. I guess my keyboard is wearing out. Ok, I think I fixed it. I pulled it off and blew some of the food debris out of it. Next write up should have more H's. :)