should I buy VFR or is it too boring

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by wobblyas, Apr 28, 2009.

1. wobblyas

wobblyas New Member

I am looking for an all round bike. Something I can

1. Commute on
    2. tour on (Yes I know you can tour on just about anything as I just completed a 6000km 3 week tour on a VTR 250)
    3. something that is fun to ride with a bit of character

Here's the problem and it seem slightly rediculous.

Here's what I have test ridden so far

1. Triumph Street Triple (Great character, incredible engine, brilliant round town and through the twisties - not a good cruiser, low geared and naked)
    2. Ducati Monster 800s (Lots of character, naked, excessive vibrations and totally out classed by Triumph Street Triple in all respects)
    3. SV 650s (good tourer, good fairings, good smooth engine with reasonable torque, terrible front forks, agricultural handling)
    4. Buell Lightning (Good on the open road when engine smooths out a bit, character, fantastic handling, crap fornt brake, great torque, But the engine feels and sounds like it comes from a tractor)
    5. Kawasaki 650R (Great engine, too upright seating position, windshield directs wind at helmet - hemet buffeting and noise)
    6. Gladius - Fantastic engine, (much better than SV650). Ergonimics suited for somone under 4ft tall, no fairing)
    7. 2005 VTEC VFR (superb tourer, great seating posistion, more power than I need, could ride it all day, slightly heavy as a commuter for a weed like me, too easy to cruise above the speed limit, characterless - almost too competent)

So what have people done to give there bikes some riding character?

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    All I can say is that the VFR is a true Sport Touring bike. It's not the fastest or the best handling bike out there but is a great all around bike that does everything well. Yes the bike seems a little heavy at first but but once you ride it for a while and get used to it's handling characteristics you will be able to throw it around in the corners with the best of them especially with a good set of tires. If you compare the Viffer to other bikes you will immediately notice that the bike feels solid and is not cheaply built compared to many of the true sport bikes. In addition to this the Viffer has lots of luggage options for long range touring and the engine can easily get 100k miles if maintained correctly. As far as giving the bike some character, about the only thing you need to do is to put a set of Michelins on it along with a Staintune exhaust and let the V4 sing!!!!

I don't think you can go wrong with the Viffer but then again I am a bit partial to them since I own two.

Regards,
    Rollin

3. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    Does the '05 have pipes on it? If not, it changes the bike entirely in my experience. Goes from a lawnmower to a V8 sound with the curious looks to match.

Just like the real world, the term "character" can often be associated with "flawed". You want something that does everything well? The VFR is without question the way to go with the list you presented. If you want character and more of a cool factor, then look elsewhere.

I am curious, what exactly is "agricultural handling" when describing the SV? FYI I also have a naked SV for the track. No way I would buy any SV for your criteria. Just my .02.

4. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

Just to be clear, you're talking about the STREET triple with the 675 motor and regular swing arm correct?

A lot of guys mix up the Street Triple (675cc & reg s.a.) with the SPEED Triple (1050cc & SINGLE sided S.a.) when they get to talking about them.

I LOVE the SPEED Triple looks...but I hear it's kind of clunky compared to the smaller Street Triple. If I could get handling of the Street Triple R Spec with the looks/size of the Speed Triple, I'd be a happy man.

Would it replace my VFR...????? Not even close!!!

The VFR is just too good of an all-rounder to give up or replace. Now if your interests become more specific say "gotta have a street fighter" or "need for speed" then a new bike can be justified. My two cents.

5. HondaTech

HondaTech New Member

I commute daily in all weather but ice/snow on my '07 and it is perfect. The weight is really a non-issue when you are riding and it has very good traffic manners. Certainly everyone here is a bit biased but I would recommend the VFR for commuting for sure. I have also found the relaxed riding position makes extended rides/commuting a lot more comfy than it would be on a supersport, andthe fairing does a very good job of deflecting the wind. Speaking of wind that is one advantage of the VFR's weight- you don't get blown around the lane in a crosswind very much like you do with a lighter bike, and you don't feel the gust from oncoming semi trucks very much either. Those are the reasons I chose a VFR and may own other bikes in my life but I will always own this one as well.

6. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    don't get blown around? dang my 86 must wieghless than the new ones...heh heh....as far as charactor? these bikes have lots of character.......but you can add your own by putting on after market stuff.

good luck on your choice,

Crusty

7. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    TOO BORING?
    [​IMG]

8. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    I think alot of the character comes from the rider-as in how they ride.
    Now, the V4 engine is world famous for its character. The torque, the sound, the reliability... Aprilia has even tried to duplicate the character with the RSV4.

9. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    I love the VFR and feel so lucky to have one. Just to be impartial and fair, other bikes to check out would be the Kawi ZX9 (2000 and newer), the Kawi ZX12 (2001 and newer) and the Honda Blackbird. I really like the ZX12 and the Blackbird, but my vote would still be for the VFR - good luck with your decision. If weight is a factor in your decision I hate to admit it, but the Kawi ZX12 is a little lighter but a whole lot faster.

10. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    yeah but did you use a manual can opener or an electric one?

11. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    de ja vue

12. OMGaVFR

OMGaVFR New Member

Really?

I can't tell if he's being serious or not.

I mean...

A. None of those other bikes are sport tourers....

B. He said the Ninja 650 and Gladius have great engines....

C. How is the 800cc V4 VTEC the one bike on that list without character??? Especially when compared to A NINJA 650??? The VFR is probably the most unique bike on that list, with the exception of the triple.

Have you looked into the honda rebel....

13. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map

lol - I thought the same thing when I saw the bikes he checked out and was selecting from. That is why I stated in a previous post to check the Kawi ZX9 and ZX12 (heavy but lighter than the VFR and much faster). I did forget to mention that the Yamaha 600R (not an R6) is a great bike and good commuter and potential tourer - also not an expensive bike. The YZF 600r has a 5 gal gas tank, wide seat, upright position and is comfortable riding 2 up. The YZF 600R is not as refined as the VFR (no fuel gage or trip computer and weak headlight - single bulb). Yamaha makes great bikes but Honda fit an finish is hard to beat especially on older Honda models.

[​IMG]

14. steven113

steven113 New Member

Sounds like you have already made your decision to me...(and justifiably so i might add) The vfr is the only under 1000cc do it all bikes with emphisis on the sport side availible at the same quality.

15. wobblyas

wobblyas New Member

The SV front fork is way to soft and I suspect will also be underdamped if you upgrad the spring. As a result it flops into corners and dives EXCESSIVELY under brakes.

The brakes are not up to the standard of VFRs, Street Triples and other modern bikes.

The Steering rake is not steep enough for tight twisties but this coupled with a reasonable wheel base does make it nice throught sweepers.

16. wobblyas

wobblyas New Member

Yes. Interestingly it annihilated the larger Speed Triple in recent tests around the Nurburg Ring due to it's cornering capabilities.

17. wobblyas

wobblyas New Member

I am dead serious. When I rode the VFR I forgot to get off at the first motorway exit and then the next one, this is a bike I could ride all day and cover huge distance on or commute on. but I might be yawning when I hop off. Maybe as someone suggested the pipes might help me enjoy what is obviously a remarkable engine. It was effortless. I also looked down at the speedo and realised that it could get expensive.

The next bike I rode was the Triumph 15 minutes later, it's hard work and an hour and half later I was grinning like a mad man but relieved to be able to get off it. As I said you can tour on anything (I toured over 5000 kms in 3 weeks on a VTR250). But without changing to higher gearing (bigger sprocket on the front) and some sort of effective fairing the Triumph could be just too much work. But god that engine is a gem 140mph in naked trim and gob smacking accelleration upto 140km when wind start to defeat it.

The Ninja 650R does have a great engine, heaps of torque at low revs, but it does vibrate a little. The Gladius (Gladiolis) engine seems to have even more talk but revs higher and smoother than the 650R and the earlier SV650.

Thanks for the input guys. I am kind of hoping you can talk me into this.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  18. jonboy2five

jonboy2five New Member

pull me over!

that sounds like a NASCAR racing engine...pull me over, i dont care!

19. deepdish

deepdish Banned

purgatory.........................................
    buy a ninja 250 and ride it without the front wheel. :thumbsup:

20. OMGaVFR

OMGaVFR New Member

Ok, so it seems to me that you equate a fun bike with being a lightweight bike with a lot of torque....the SV, the triple, the ninja 650....

These are also two and three cylinder bikes, which ride a lot different than a rather heavy v4.

It certainly took me a little getting used to when I made the switch as well, but now I would take the v4 anyday. Sure, the torque bikes are fun for fooling around in town, but on any ride over an hour the v4 is unmatched.

You just have to get used to its sweet spot. You're going to find it closer to 10k, where as the small twins its going to be at 5-6k.

Sure the VFR will never have the low end torque of an SV, but the sv can't touch the VFRs top-end acceleration.... they are both a different kind of fun I guess. I've owned both bikes, and still really like the SV, but would honestly never give up my VFR for one....

It's like comparing a Cadillac CTS to a riced out Civic....