Some thoughts about the GoPro

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by RobVG, Sep 5, 2016.

1. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Just what I was going to say. Damn tar snakes, or looked like he was also on the line there = shit , add in a bit to much front brake minimal traction, down ya go, this hurt just watching. what was the bike?

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Could be in combination of his worn tire. We tried to do a forensic look at the pavement about where his wheel slipped but we didn't have the luxury of the video at the time he went down. It wasn't until I got home that I was able to find we actually caught the crash on camera. I was actually hoping he was close to me when it happened so that we could at least see what might have caused the accident.

I noticed on a ride prior that his tires were wearing thin and I made a mention of it to him, but budgets being what they are, he was still gathering up the funds for new tires when it happened. My tires right now are telling me it's near changing time, had a little pucker up moment on the ride we did this past Sunday. Dropped my pace a little as I didn't need to repeat this event, or worse, suffer a high side, as it was my rear tire telling me it's not what it once was!

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

It is a Yamaha R1. Although the from the POV of the camera, it does sort of look like he hit the white line, but based on the few frames before, it doesn't seem like that was the case. When the bike was parked I felt his front tire and it did feel a little hard and not soft and rubbery, my assertion it was tire plus timing that did him in.

4. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    OOTV I think your friend Josh crashed due to a trail brake on the white line. He was already running wide and I think he tried to scrub off a little speed and the front folded. I never brake on a street painted line.

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

LOL. We had this debate after the event. Look again and you'll see it appears like the he hit the white line but when is tire falls you'll see it's on the blacktop. I captured a frame just before the fall, here you'll see he's just to the left of the line.

vlcsnap-00008.jpg

Damn it, not large enough...brb!

6. GigemVFR

GigemVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Could be tar snake maybe or almost looks like I saw the front end dip ever so slightly in slo mo. Looks like he was wide in the corner and might have (knowingly or just reaction) tapped the front brake and that's all she wrote. Would not take much if tires worn. Sorry to see this. Never like to see bad things happen to any rider. Hope he is doing well.

7. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Let's try this image instead. Hopefully it's large enough to see.

[​IMG]

8. OOTV

OOTV Insider

He's doing fine. He was wearing at least riding jeans, although they ripped they did their job. He had on leather jacket, gloves and riding boots as well. Everybody thought he had a head injury as he kept saying he left bike and everyone who came to his aid said, "No, you were underneath it when we got you" When we all reviewed the footage we giggled a little, as we saw how he did leave the bike, but then slid right under it when it hit the guardrail and stood up.

9. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    He's entering the corner, right? Isn't he were he should be?

10. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Speaking about braking on the white lines, a lot of the younger riders here who like to lane split seem to do it while riding on the painted lines! The ones I know and can talk to about it, I tell them the dangers of doing that, especially in the cool damp morning commutes! In my complex, right after a corner there's a direction arrow painted on the blacktop. I always try to go to either side of it as it is almost literally in a place where you would be leaning the bike the most.

11. GigemVFR

GigemVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    If you're asking me, I was meaning maybe he was carrying a bit too much speed and already wide and as he got deeper in corner and realizing he might have a bit too much speed, tapped front brake. Hard to tell due to distance away from camera. Just my initial thoughts when looking at video.

12. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Why bother

13. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Looking at the frozen frame, that tar snake is just waiting to strike, I little to much brake + bad tires. Glad he wasn't the worse of this, happens so freaking fast, it's usually not the fall that gets you, it's what you hit after that does. That guard rail was almost a good thing.. Still, would like to be a part of your group, what a hoot it must be.

14. DeeBee

DeeBee New Member

See those start and run or start and rev clips quite a bit, I am even guilty of it myself. Can't speak for others but I like to at least run the engine for a minute of two at moderate rpm then shut down before starting the video. As seen by forgetting to turn the kill switch back to run.
    Ideally I do these Vids when returning from a short ride. Particularly if I am listening for jetting or a particular noise, doesn't matter much what it sounds like cold.

Worked over last week 6-4p, so I haven't been able to get my tires balanced, also waiting on a pair of used factory front signal lights.

Soo tempting to just throw the tires on and go test out those freshly cleaned jetted carbs.
    Often a little start, warm up, tinkering (be it hooking up the inductive digital tac, and tinkering with the mixture screws, or wishing for a manometer while using a temperature gun and other hardly accurate means to tweak the carb balance within +-1/2 turn or less of bench settings)
    or even making a video clip, helps satisfy the urge to go for a quick ride when I know I shouldn't.

It really is the lesser of two evils for me, although I will admit it makes for some crappy video clips.

Regards
    db

15. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    You could be right. Watch the super slow mo full screen and see if his front end comes down (braking) just before he met the pavement. Kinda looks that way.

16. OOTV

OOTV Insider

We literally spent several hours over several days trying to find the culprit. Having seen the tires and seeing the video, the best conclusion we could come to was "timing", wrong place at the wrong time. Some times, as they say, it's just your time. Fortunately he was relatively unscathed, a little bruising on his leg and a sore shoulder but he was able to get up and ride another day, well not that bike. :wink:

17. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    No he should not be there, should be heading to the apex but still giving some room to on coming traffic. Streets are notorious for having sand, gravel and oil near the edge. I think he gave a little trail brake in a really bad part of the road and probably had some not so sticky tires. Even really good tires will fold the front end in crap conditions. Ever get off the race line and into the marbles? Especially if your unfortunate to be following a car track day, fucking tons of rubber off the line.

18. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Well at least Josh wasn't hurt too bad.

One final thought on GorPro. When you mount it on the side of your helmet, it gives you a clear view of the instruments and the rider's handlebar inputs. It's all there; clutch, brake, throttle, rpm's and speed. It makes it less than encouraging to share, at least on this forum :lol:

19. OOTV

OOTV Insider

And that's why I mount it to the bike! :rofl:

20. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Does his R1 have ABS? Those R1's have massive front brake power (from what I've read) and if his tire was as bad as you pointed out it wouldn't take much on a curve near/on a line to lock it up especially without ABS. I'm still a bit of a newb but I've watched dozens (hundreds maybe? LOL) of crash vids on YouTube and that's what it looks like to me. Glad to hear he's okay.