Starter Motor

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by jetboy, Jan 21, 2004.

1. jetboy

jetboy New Member

Map
    VFR800 1999 Anniversary model 8000 miles. I'm new to VFRs and this forum.  Help please:Twice now my bike will not re-start following a trip.  The 2nd time after stopping for petrol.  Pressed starter button and instrument panel blanks out and electric starter does not turn. Clock and trip reset to default settings.  Lights work fine.  Bike starts OK with a bump start.   Ridden straight to garage but cannot repeat fault.  I've checked kill-switch not activated, rocked bike in gear to free-up possible electric starter jam.  Cannot repeat fault on multi restarts.  Battery is fine, regulator works fine.  No alarms, all standard equipment.  jetboy.

2. hatzyian

hatzyian New Member

Sounds like a bad conection from the battery, seeing as how everything resets on the instruments. Check the earth point on the chassis, and also for corrosion etc on the battery terminals

Ian

3. jetboy

jetboy New Member

Map
    Update III: With a 30, 50  & 75 mile ride-outs, bike is now OK, what  a relief!  I have installed a cooler (CPU) fan, however, I did not drill the R/R heatsink.  Just wrapped two long plastic ties around frame/regulator/fan.  Now done 500 trouble-free miles.

Update II: Dealer changed R/R, all appears to be well!  Unable to road test because there is a lot of white stuff on the roads, but they did run the engine for extensive periods and bike restarts OK.  They have also checked the battery and that get's a clean bill of health.  I'm still a little wary of this...so will check the battery using Optimate.  May replace battery anyway and also fit cooler fan to R/R using ST's instructions on http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stu.tyrrell/Turbo_Mod.htm.

Update I:  Now been on trip and after 30 miles the mileometer froze.  Called in at dealer on way home and he switched off engine and then attempted a restart and the electric starter would not turn....symptoms as before!  They are going to swap out components R/R, Battery etc on Monday Jan 26th.

Thanks Ian.  I've now cleaned the battery post connections.  I've just read an unrelated VFR electrical problem that suggests there is a large collection of earth's to the mainframe ...could be a good place to start (pun not intended).