Sunny day + Nearsighted Granny = Broken VFR

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by HondaGhandi, Mar 15, 2016.

1. HondaGhandi

HondaGhandi New Member

Map
    Update: Sun was closed for three days due to the snow storm in Denver so no progress was made on the bike. Parts did arrive however and were not backordered as previously thought. This is a big plus. I talked to Matt the servcie writer who initially wrote the ticket and he assured me that the forks will go through an intensive inspection at my request. They are days behind in work so I dont expect it back for another week or two so we will see how this pans out. In the meantime the weather has been shit so its not too bad that I dont have a bike.

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FscIgtDJFXg

3. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I guess I am not a very trusting guy. When an insurance company offers assurances and says "they will make it right" my sphincter tightens up. These people are not your friend. They will do only what is contractually necessary. If they pay the repair bill they may consider that done and their liability settled. My advice is to be a huge jerk. It's you and your once brand new bike at stake.

I would also want the tech to pull and disassemble the forks and check for true. The dealers promise of an " intensive inspection" could be as through as looking the thing over and saying "it looks fine to me." I think in these type of situations it is best to put instructions in very specific terms like disassembly and a run out check with a dial indicator.

4. HondaGhandi

HondaGhandi New Member

Map
    Quick update that shouldnt surprise anyone, my bike is still not done. They actually havent even started it yet. The excuse is that there are still bikes in the shop in front of mine. I was promised Friday the first, which came and went no calls. I walked in on Saturday to talk with somoene because I kept getting the run around on the phone. They said one more bike in front of mine, and Monday for sure. Monday came and went, now Tuesday as well. Either these guys are colossal liars or they really have no idea how to run a shop. (I have run half a dozen BUSY shops in the last 25 years, so I can smell a scam here). So tomorrow morning I guess I will call them and see whats going on. if they still have not started the work I guess I will politely tell them to fuck off and I will go pick up my wrecked bike and fix the fucker myself.

5. NormK

NormK New Member

Get onto the insurance company first before you pull it out, they may just scrub you and leave you holding the bag

6. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Wow, what a bunch of crap...glad your okay...
    Time to dial Lawyer....
    Pull that bike and send it to Jamie Daugherty. ..
    Then fer sure you know your in good hands..wouldn't let those fookers touch my bike....good luck

7. Sayo

Sayo New Member

United States
    I received my forks from JD not to long ago uploadfromtaptalk1459919314402.jpg and all I can say is wow but expect to wait 3 weeks + to get your forks back

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

8. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Well worth every week...

9. HondaGhandi

HondaGhandi New Member

Map
    Ive already got the money from the insurance company. They wrote the check to me.

10. HondaGhandi

HondaGhandi New Member

Map
    I might send my forks out to JD this winter. That is if I ever get the bike back in the first place. Im still skeptical if the forks are ok after this bump in the road.

11. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    If the shmucks at the shop haven't even laid a hand on your ride, how did the insurance company determine what to cut the check for?

12. atx

atx New Member

United States
    Agreed, run it by the insurance company before you go yanking it out of the shop. Maybe let them know that if they want it to stay there they can front the bill for a rental until this slow ass shop is willing to do the work. I'm guessing they are just super backed up with people looking to get their ride season started and asking for last minute repairs.

13. HondaGhandi

HondaGhandi New Member

Map
    My insurance doesnt care who does the repair. They only ask that the estimate is done by a licenced dealer.

14. HondaGhandi

HondaGhandi New Member

Map
    a "visual" inspection and estimate of necessary parts and labor. Thats the exact same question I asked the service writer and I was met with the ol' "Sir, were professionals, trust us" bit. SMH

15. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Wow, isn't it great to pay premiums knowing they've got your back.....
    Hope it all works out...

16. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    A word of advice (from experience) don't let them know that you are coming to take it back. Show up with a truck/trailer and a few guys to move if possible.
    If they haven't started yet and you tell them you're on your way to get it the could mess it up on you. I would hope that they wouldn't but it does happen.

17. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    as a side note, I had almost the same accident on my fireblade (Taxi Driver) - I end'oed into his passenger door - trashed it.
    Had a mark on the tyre, broken fender, & a few scatches where I ended up droping (lowering !) on the left side...
    Forks, wheel & tyre were all fine....

My nuts however took a few days to recover - lol

18. zedXmick

zedXmick New Member

Wow 200 mile new motorcycle...I'd be gutted. Let us know how AM FAmily treats you when the hidden damage is found. I'd yank my motorcycle from that shop if they haven't touched it yet. Best of luck on the repairs....

19. turbo86

turbo86 New Member

Canada
    Map
    any updates on this?

20. HondaGhandi

HondaGhandi New Member

Map
    Update: I let the dealer finish the work, and paid them with my insurance money. Brought the bike home and tore it back down to re-do the inspection myself using the service manual. Found damage to the wheel that went un-noticed, found missing ferring clips, found that the high and low beam headlights had wiring swapped. So I fixed all that myself. Forks checked out ok using the Honda method so thats good enough for me. Put another 500 miles on since and no signs of odd wear to the fork tubes and no leaks. So Im now satified and confident the bike is back to normal.

During the repair I added a USB charging port for GPS, HID headlights and heated handgrips for our cold nights in CO. Still loving the bike, even more now with better night visibility and warm digits.