Superbowl Ride - Dedicated to the PNW crew

Discussion in 'USA - West' started by reg71, Feb 4, 2007.

1. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Ok, so all the talk of riding on here got me fired up enough to go out alone aven though I usually enjoy at least one other rider along so I can get pics of someone ridding. Looks like another write up with pic of my bike, Scratch, sitting still waiting for me to get back on. Sit back, relax, pop open another cool one, and welcome to Reg's Neighborhood...

[​IMG]

Ahh, the sacrifices I have to make for you guys. Scratch tells me it's 59 degrees outside. Feels cooler to me, but I know that I have to get this ride in for RW and the PNW crew. Oh, the suffering, the anguish... She fired right up as usual, and started to purr... Needed a little fast idle for a few seconds, then she was good to go. We left out from home and headed east on Hwy 41. The first couple shots are about 2 miles from my house on the Chicago grade on 41 East.

[​IMG]

It's a little hard to see, but this is coming up the grade and it continues to snake around and goes over a tall hill (or really small mountain) that has a 180 degree 15 mph turn at the top. Here's an uphill shot...

[​IMG]

Sometimes I ride my road bike up this hill and it's quite a challenge. The above shot is just after starting up the grade. I think there are a couple more coming up.
    [​IMG]

This is pretty good. If you look above, you are looking back down the road where we came up. Now, I'll walk around to get a pic of Scratch from her backside. (It's okay, she likes it if you look at her ass. You can even slap it and she won't mind)

[​IMG]

If you look way up at the top of the pic above, you can almost see the 180 turn to the right. As you climp, you have a panoramic view of the city where I live. Come on down and we'll show the roads. Keep in mind, we are not quite 3 miles from home yet...

[​IMG]

In the pic above, we stopped at the top of a small hill coming out of a curve on Hwy 41 E. Usually this is where I lift the front end for a nice little wheelie, then into a sweeping right hander that you can accelerate all the way through into triple digits. Fun stuff. Instead, we decided to take a left, though onto Cripple Creek Rd. Then a left onto El Pomar. Down El Pomar past some vineyards then a left onto S El Pomar. I snapped a shot here just cause. You can see all the vines in their winter state off to the side. The vines are pretty in the summer, but I think in the winter, the still look neat. Something about the symmetry appeals to me.

[​IMG]

Now, we kept going down S El Pomar back towards home. We are maybe 5 miles from home as the crow flies right now. The next pic is going back down the grade just maybe a mile or 2 farther north.

[​IMG]

Above, you can kind of see the road snaking down then over to the right. I also ride my bike out here sometimes. I am a machine. ;) It's fun stuff in triple digit temps.
    After going back down the grade, I took a left onto Templeton Road. At the intersection I saw a group riding the way I had just come. There was about 8 bikes I think including one 4g rider. (there were some other bikes, too, but who rememebrs what they were?) After getting on Templton Rd, I snapped a quick pic at a tight left hander. I was hoping to get the flashing lights, but I guess my timing was off.

[​IMG]

Now I am getting pretty close to home. There are a few more nice curves, but I rode them instead of stopping for pics. I started to go back home when I came back to Hwy 41, but then I realized, I had stopped for pics at all the fun parts so I headed out Hwy 41 E again. This time I blew through at a normal pace smiling all the while and listening to scratch alternate between growls and purrs. She sure was singing today. We headed all the way out to take a right onto 229 at Creston. We stopped at Long Branch and snapped a couple shots. There were some other bikers there, but nobody we knew.

[​IMG]

You gotta love a place with an 'EAT' sign. ;) Then we heaed on down the 229. What the hell, we were already out this way. May as well eh? I intend to get you guys a video of this. I am hoping between Brian, Tori, and myself we can make it happen soon. Until then, here is a series in order coming from Creston to Hwy 58.

[​IMG]

Above is one of the first turns right after you get into the good stretch. This is about 1 mile from the town, I think. Next up is a downhill chicane that I love. It has about 5 twitch turns as you go down a decent grade then another set of 3-4 follows shortly after. If you look real closely, you can see my bike by the tree. I'm standing at the top of the hill looking down.

[​IMG]

I also snapped a shot in profile to give you guys a little taste of the scenery out here this time of year... See it below.

[​IMG]

Another chicane set. I skipped the pics of the 2 laydown curves since we have posted them several times in other threads. Since I was stopping so often, I turned off the bike and coasted from spot to spot for the next few pics so that should give you some idea that it's a little hillier than it looks in pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next we go to a few pics of Hwy 58. I turned right and headed back towards Santa Margarita since we are heading out to watch the SB today. I really don't care who wins, but I guess I'll watch the game anyway. (I know, I blaspheme, but it just doesn't do much for me)

[​IMG]

The next pic is in a set of curves going downhill near Park Hill Road. The locals calle it 13 turns or some number (I forget and I don't count well when I'm riding) That's about the last shot I got I think...

[​IMG]

Well, I hope you all enjoyed this installment of 'The Life of Reggie'. Tune in next week for 'How the Hell Does this Fit?' when we'll delve into basement remodelling. For those of you linking in from the outside, feel free to joing VFRworld, it's fast, it's easy, it's free. No spam will find you and all riders are welcome, even if you don't ride a V4!

Peace....

2. Tori

Tori New Member

United States
    Map
    Nice ride Reg. Next sunday remember is VFR maintenance day in my garage. Steph will be there handing out beers.:biggrin:

3. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks Reg, PNW will make it up to you in a couple of months, I would give my left nut right now for some of those nice dry roads with no sand or gravel on them. I went on a ride Saturday morning and I'll be damned if it didn't start to rain on me 30 minutes into the ride after about a week of dry weather. I like that picture of the restaurant with Eat on it, takes me down memory lane when 30% of the road side restaurants had those signs on them. You'll have to excuse me now, those pictures of dry roads with S curves makes me want to find my lotion and go into the bathroom...:whistle:

4. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    cool beans, man. I'll ask Terri if she wants to come down.
    h, my game arrived today so I'm gonna give it a play as soon as I finish catching up the messages here.

well, if you're back from the privy.... Come on down here and we'll take a ride. I have a friend with an F3 that maybe we could talk him out of for an afternoon. He hasn't been riding it at all for nearly a year!

5. Tori

Tori New Member

United States
    Map
    Reg,...... who's got the GOOF3 ? Ask him if i could swap him my VFR one day or rent his bike for a day. I've always thought i should be on a lighter bike. ......

Oh, and Brian is out of town this sunday, so he cant play with us in the garage. But he can next sunday if that works for you.

6. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Freaking sweat my man Reg, thanks for sharing and thinking of us, I owe ya one...

7. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    okay here's one set of corners I try and hit up as often as possible
    thats in the neighborhood

[​IMG]

8. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    so, do you want to postpone? Terri said she'd come down if we do it. I can do it either this one or the 25th.

no prb, bro.

looks nice. hopeflly I'll get a chance for you to show it to me sometime...