Templeton->Fort Hunter->Big Sur->Ragged Point->Piedras Blancas->Cambria

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by reg71, Aug 27, 2006.

1. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Hello all. Time for another deluge of trip text and photos. Throw on your lid and get ready to take a trip with me...

I got a call later Friday telling me a group of riders was leaving out from Templeton at 0930 Sat. Never one to miss a trip I was there. At 0915, my wife called and woke me up from a dead sleep. (we had a small quake at 0145 and I was up til after 0500, I have insomnia sometimes) Anyway, I made it to the gathering point on time.

The following is the first pic I snapped. At least the first succesful one. :) We are showing our info to get on Fort Hunter. I don't think they allow pics on the base, but they didn't say anything about me snapping this one... And now the cast for todays journey...2 ducs, an FZ1, and of course, the small boy on the block VFR 800... I wanted to put in here, this is the first time I have ridden with ducatisti and they didn't turn up their noses at all....:wink: . those vtwins do sound nice with some custom pipes, though... Now on to the show...

[​IMG]

I believe this next shot is just after we got off the base and starting going down fergusen rd. I tried some action shots with mediocre success with my old digital camera.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't have any action shots of the VFR since I was the one taking the pics, but my wife got a couple shots of me the day before that I put in my gallery.

This pic is on the west side of the base coming down fergusen rd. We stopped for a short break and I snapped another pic of all the bikes together. There are several shots in my gallery of this ledge where I have stopped several times. The road was dirtier this day than it's ever been when I've been there...

[​IMG]

Here's where we stopped in Big Sur for lunch after cruising up Hwy 1 and obeying all traffic laws all the way. :biggrin:

[​IMG]

The food was pretty good, the service was fine, and the prices were reasonable. The view was very pretty. We sat outside within hearing/seeing distance of a stream. (maybe a river, but if so, a small one)

After lunch, we headed back down Hwy 1 again obeying all traffic regulations and then stopped here at Ragged Point. Check out this view! That's me blocking the view by the way...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After this we headed on down Hwy 1 through some of the best curves and best scenery known to man. I could have snapped 100 photos if only I could have stopped, but the ride is too much fun. Maybe I'll get a videocam strapped on and tape it for you someday. This next pic is where we stopped for a breather on hwy 1 and Mark, the guy riding a Duc 1 up tells an animated story about the Audi that nearly ran over him from behind on hwy 1. Keep in mind we were running a spirited pace and someone came up behind him and locked up the brakes causing a tire squeal.

[​IMG]

The next one I took at the same spot getting all the bikes and some good scenery....

[​IMG]

I told the guys at this point, I would be breaking off down at Piedras Blancas. A friend was having a party so I was stopping there and my wife came up to meet me. Just ceck out the scenery we had to endure that evening and the next day!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of me a little later that night after we made a bonfire on the beach that you can see in one of the pics above. Notice the strategic seating choice. :wink:

[​IMG]

Mmmmm beeeer... <BURP>We had a fine evening of wine and cioppino (sp?)(fish stew) which was awesome I might add. Very good eats. The next morning we woke up to another beautiful day on the coast. Warm and clear. No fog at all (well at least by the time we got out of bed at 1030). Then we took a short run down to Cambria to have breakfast.

[​IMG]

Then after that, we headed on back home via Hwy 46 to Paso then headed over to Hwy 101 and back home... The bike is still running great, about to hit 41000 miles. Hoping to take it over 100000 miles myself... We'll see. I'm gonna try to organize another run pretty much along this course but with more people when I get my next schedule. Anyone interested in going? It'd be around Sep/Oct timeframe on a Sat or Sun.

2. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    Awsome pics Reg, and great views too. I hope I get some good pics next weekend at deals gap.

3. tbones86

tbones86 New Member

Map
    I second, great pic's, Reg. Vman, make sure you post your Deals Gap pic's I did'nt get a chance to take as many as I would have liked when I was there a couple of weeks ago. The honeymoon thing kinda took presidence that day, I was lucky she put up with me getting her sick in the twisties w/ the car.