Training?

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by RVFR, Mar 14, 2007.

1. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Who keeps in shape in the off season? What do you do besides drink beer to keep yourself in shape? When the riding season is upon us do you still stay with a program of sorts? Was interesting to see what the guys do in the WSB and MotoGP to stay on top of their A game.

2. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    RVFR:

Believe it or not, I took dance lessons LOL! The workout is unreal, lots of stretching with muscle toning. Right now I am just doing the 'warm up/ workout' with the dance class. I don't dance anymore, I don't have time because I am a Dad and I have to save room for riding:smile: ! I know someone who does Yoga, and that workout is very similar. You work all the muscles that assist with hanging off and shifting around the motorcycle without using the handlebars. I recommend Yoga or the dance workout to anyone.

Best I have felt and looked since my baseball years! I've been doing it for 2-3 years now.

BZ

3. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    just got back to cyclocross bike and jogging a little over a week ago. I'm back to running 5k pretty easy and biked over 19 miles the other day. still trying to get my damn bike seat adjusted right, though.

4. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

I have a BowFlex & a Life Fitness X-Country machine.

The BowFlex is great if you're not looking to get hulked up. It's more of a linear pregressive resistance. I find it works great for trying to get my shoulder back to normal.

The Life Fitness machine is one step below the profession gym model. They truly are "no impact" on any joints. I recommend them to anyone & I refuse to use any other machine.

When I want a change of scenery, I put on a backpack with 75lbs of gravel in it and hike the trail system near my house.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane:

5. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I have a question about this low impact stuff. I have been having pains in my wrist for a couple months now which gets worse when I ride. I talked to a Dr who said not to ride. Not gonna happen. He also reccommended motrin around the clock for a while. My wife said she used papaya extract for a month and her tendonitis went away. Anyway, my resistance training has been lacking as the pain has migrated all the way to my elbow now. I was considering going to one of the low impact style machines. I did one pull up yesterday and it felt like my elbow wanted to explode. I can't stand not training at least some so I need to do something.

6. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

With the Life Fitness machine, it doesn't have any ill effects on any of my joints. It's a true total body workout. If you really go for it, you can see calorie burns in the 1800/hour range. Mind you, it's not a cheap proposition. Mine was $3200. I drove to DE (home of tax free shopping) instead of Mt Laurel & saved myself almost $700. These XCountry machines are without the slightest doubt the best machine around for people with bad joints. Mine is the same as this, only 4 years old.

http://us.home.lifefitness.com/content.cfm/x9i

With lifting, I still use free weight for certain things but I have no problem getting a head -- toe workout using the BowFlex. I'm sure there are better methods out there but none that I can think of that can do as much with only a single machine. It feels like stretching a rubber band more than lifting weights.

I have a screwed up shoulder and both of my ankles are basically shot so I can "feel your pain" with the bad wrists. The Orthopedic Surgeon told me my right ankle is pretty much the equivalent of a 65yo man with severe arthritis. I have 2 choices:

1. I can sit around a complain about chronic pain (which I have 24 hours/day)
    2. Try to work out as best I can and keep the muscles around my joints as strong as possible & try to live as normal a life as I can.

I chose #2.

I will never take ibuprofen (motrin) ever again. After my shoulder surgery, I was on 1600mg/day. After about a month, I thought I had an ulcer my stomach was so bad. Turned out it was the ibuprofen. On the recommendation of a friend, I started taking glucosamine. It's supposed to take up to 2 months to feel a difference. Time will tell.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane:

7. Scorpio65

Scorpio65 New Member

Map
    Isn't Round a shape ? :spit: