VFR1200 - Non haters thread

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by John451, Oct 17, 2009.

1. aks801

aks801 New Member

Motorcyclist Online posted a very interesting review of the VFR with the dual auto clutch option. The writer has some really impressive things to say about it. After reading his description, it has me seriously thinking about getting one with that option. It's going to be really misunderstood at first, but it sounds like as more and more riders get it and the word spreads, this may very well be a seriously influential bike.

2. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    I never thought I'd say it, but I too would consider this clutch based on the reviews I've read so far. And if it's good for F1 cars, shouldn't it be good for a VFR?

3. jazclrint

jazclrint New Member

United States
    Map
    It's not just F1, that system is in Porsche production cars, as well as a few others I believe. I'm going to check out the article now.

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    What would be really great is for everyone to be on the same page. LOL! Knowing that this ain't gonna happen, a good start might be to link to a specific article.

Anybody know if this auto tranny clutch thing that is on this Honda bike and not some car, goes into freewheel like the old 750 4's with auto trannys did? Does it downshift too? How does it compare with the new BMW ignition interruption device or Dale Walker's air shifter or the modified auto trannys used by bracket car racers? Does it compare with Moto-Guzzi's auto tranny coupled to a shaft?

Anybody heard of anyone press or otherwise who has been on one of these bike for any more than just a few minutes?

5. Britt

Britt New Member

Other than a slightly small fuel tank, I absolutely love everything I've read about the VFR1200F. If I had the finances I would order one without even test riding it.

Being a father of four children and working on adding onto the house, I'll be riding my 5th gen for at least a few more years. That's not a bad thing - in a few years there ought to be used 1200's on the market....

6. Jimtt

Jimtt New Member

Map
    This new Honda dual clutch transmission is very similar to Audi’s pioneering DSG dual clutch set up. If you have not driven a DSG equipped Audi or VW, I can tell you they are magic, smooth instantiations shifts, no power robbing torque converted and ECU controlled engine blips on down shifting. You cannot manually shift faster than a DSG gear box, they are lightning quick. What is impressive about the Honda duel clutch gear box is it’s compact simplicity; it is no bigger than as standard six speed box and weighs not much more if any at all. This feature more than any other sets this bike apart from all others IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The new transmission features a dual clutch transmission configuration in which independent clutches are employed for the odd gears (1st, 3rd, 5th) and the even gears (2nd, 4th, 6th), respectively. The two clutches operate alternately to effect gear changes. For example, when changing from 1st to 2nd gear, the computer detects the up-shift and engages 2nd gear, then releases the 1st-gear clutch while engaging the 2nd-gear clutch to achieve a seamless gear change. While some dual-clutch transmissions tend to be bulky, the new system employs original technologies such as dual input shafts, exclusive in-line clutch design, and concentration of hydraulic circuitry beneath the engine cover to achieve a compact design. Compactness and lightness is further enhanced through the use of a simple shift mechanism design based on that of a conventional motorcycle shift drum. Optimized shift scheduling achieves fuel economy equal to or better than that of a fully manual transmission, enabling Dual Clutch Transmission to deliver both sporty riding and environmental performance combined.

7. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    If I was going to get this bike the DCT touring version would be it. Wonder why it wasn't ready for 2010?

8. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Excellent!!! Good job. I hope mine is mine come spring.

9. VFR1200

VFR1200 New Member

Canada
    Map
  10. VFRCaptBob

VFRCaptBob New Member

Just as I suspected. The French designed the new VFR. I'm out.:eek:

11. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Good video, to bad I don't know french, but one thing I did notice was just how long this vfr is, I've read it's like another 2+ inches longer in the wheel base, it looks longer than that. Seems to be able to hold it's lines. :rolleyes: I've also read, like always the stock choice of rubber it comes with is on par to what we normally see, so I bet there's some huge gains by getting some sticky shoes on. all good info. Be fun to take one for a spin and find out just how weird it would feel not to shift. :eek: oh the things to look forward to huh??

12. jazclrint

jazclrint New Member

United States
    Map
    I had heard it's longer close to 3" in the wheel base and 6" overall. I think it was a video at the press release in California that I heard it. I really don't think it's looks any bigger. I can't believe it's as small as it is really. But I think that's because I had an image of something more ST1300/FJR sized in my head. Watching that french video you can see how quick it flicks when they are on those public roads. From what I've read at MCN so far, it seems to make it track worthy you'll need better rubber and a brake upgrade at the least. The suspension actually seems really well sorted stock (from what I have read so far) so that may not need to be touched. But no matter how good the handling, the weight still creeps in and steals some of the fun away. There's got to be a way to get some weight off this pig. My biggest disappointment is that I don't think I could put lower handlebars on this bike. I have enough clearence problems with the VTR clip-ons on my '91. The fairing setup on this bike seems even less forgiving.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  13. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
  14. Richard Thompson

Richard Thompson New Member

Map
    good question jason, i'll put my cynical 'retailers' marketing hat on and say that it is most likely a phased rollout for this new model.

put the manual model out first, get the product into the market, build up some good press,get the bike seen, reviewed, guage public reaction & fine tune any production concerns etc...

builds momentum for the release of the DCT version the following year...now they can also upsell the DCT version to exsisting owners of the standard model(creates used examples for the market) as well as selling the DCT to potential new buyers.

also from a production view point it means the line can concentrate on producing that single variant before switching to the DCT variant.

plus theres also the T version to come as well....there plan is likely to have a 4 year or so vision.

15. Richard Thompson

Richard Thompson New Member

Map
    ummm... OMG...did any else see that DN 01 with saddlebags in the french video?

why wont that bike just go away...:confused:

16. midias

midias New Member

United States
    Map
    My take on the new VFR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Mondo Rock

Mondo Rock New Member

Map
    I really cant understand where the "haters" are coming from ...

Is it that this bike upsets your sensibilities of what the 'VFR' brand should be, or is it just an outright rejection based on first impressions (look, weight, power, auto option).

Personally, I think it looks great, even in photos.

I went down to my local Honda dealer, sat on one, and then the CBR1000 next to it - the VFR seemed way more comfortable for my intended riding.

So ... it would work for me - I want a bike that is sporty enough to carve, yet will take the highway miles with ease and in comfort.

Gonna have to wait until next year though ... sell off the old cruiser, pay for my wedding ... blah blah blah ...

Cheers! Mondo out ... :juggle:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  18. Saint

Saint New Member

Hey Mondo. You'll be "paying" for your wedding for the rest of your life! :crazy: :wink:

Seriously, if and when you take the plunge, you won't be disappointed. Sure you can get different bikes that are "better" in once aspect or another. You can get also get a great bike that will give you most of what the new Viffer can for fewer $'s.

However the 1200 with its options perfectly fits my desire for a sexy, high performance touring machine that can shed her clothes and run naked when the mood suits. :cool:

Honestly, for me the DCT option made this bike worth its price of admission. I drive in "manual", enjoy all the control over "when" with the left-hand finger and thumb triggers, and marvel at the speed, smoothness, and performance of the computer's shifts. I LOVE this machine! :makeout:

Two Clutches are Better than One!
    Saint

19. Mondo Rock

Mondo Rock New Member

Map
    He he ... wont let the Mrs hear that one :tongue::tongue::smile:

I wouldnt be sure on the DCT though - not sure if flicking buttons up and down when carving through turns would be so enjoyable, though I do see the benefits of Auto out on a freeway.

Do you miss a clutch lever? That sounds like a silly question, but part of the bike experience for me is clutch and gear changes.

:vtr2:

Cheers!

20. dublflush

dublflush New Member

Put another 500miles on bike this week end. All in the mountains, what a treat! This bike is almost perfect ( for me) .
    My biggest gripe, is the power restriction in the lower gears. Second gear seems to be the worst , but sure it can be fixed ( one way or another).