vtec opinions

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by James Popp, Mar 20, 2007.

1. James Popp

James Popp New Member

Alot of people are suggesting that the next generation interceptor should drop the vtec. I don't really understand why this is so widely suggested. My understanding is that vtec boosts low rpm power by increasing volumetric efficiency and improving turbulence. Assuming this actually happens, why don't people want it? Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

2. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    Ride one - - then youll understand. The transition between 2 valves to 4 is rather abrupt. If this happens while you are leaned over in a corner it unsettles the chassis and you have to adjust.

That is the jest of the 5th gen vs 6th gen engine debates that happen here frequently. -- Yeah I'm biased - I own a 5th gen and that engine rocks!:first:

MD

3. Def-E-nition

Def-E-nition New Member

South Africa
    Map
    I agree M . i ride a 6th Gen , and the Transition is anything but subtle . I would also reckon that Most people would like the bike to have all that 16 v thrust from down below , not just from 6400 rpm ..

i dunno though . its kinda neat having two bikes built into One , with the bike ridden below 6400 , its pretty much like , well, riding a bike . Nice and friendly .
    The only opposition i would pose to the vtec story is perhaps that it is unneccesary strain towards the motor , but I have No back-up proof .
    What kind of Power delivery does one get from the 5th Gen ??

4. Davidvfr

Davidvfr New Member

Map
    Gear driven cams anyone?

:hail: :bounce: :dance: :rockon: :lalala: :clap2: :drum:

5. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I was talking with Clem Salvatori who wrote a book about VFRs a few years ago and he pretty much said the same thing the mello dude did.

6. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    The 5th gen - you get a smooth flow of power from the bottom to the top. I suspect at 6000rpm, the 5th gen is putting out more torque than the 6th. Once the VTEC opens up, then they are pretty well even.

MD

7. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    Well, I'm in good company!

MD

8. James Popp

James Popp New Member

If the transition is still too abrupt, and the purpose of the vtec is to improve low-end torque, does anyone think that lowering the transition even more would be acceptable?

9. VaRollOn

VaRollOn New Member

United States
    Map
    Seeing as how I just got off the phone with a Dyno Tuner, I have to agree with these gents that for pure engine management the 5th Gen has it beat. I've ridden them both. Sounds like a fix is on the way though!!

The difficulty holding steady throttle at 5k is much more annoying IMO than the 7k hit. Together however it deems looking into a fix which it sounds is out there just a bit pricey to do correctly(350+PC)around here at least. This guy said they were night and day after the tuning, but he's selling the work so..grain of salt, they do real time tuning though so I think that could potentially help.

He also said Pair valve shutting and TPS?? rewiring is not the way to go as it is rich at 5k to begin with ergo the problem. I'm not so keen on rewiring my bike incorrectly anyway...It's dumping in too much air to compensate, or thats how I read it.
    Aftermarket pipes add to the mix as well. I think Bayou Buck may have done all of the above,,,or close to it may want to ask him as well.

10. Kevin_70

Kevin_70 New Member

Some of you probably think I'm a salesman for PowerCommander (I'm not)...but that thing will cure 99% of VTECs bad habbits. Opinions about the VTEC in general are exaggerated anyway in both the positive and negative, IMHO.

11. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    I would guess if they brought the transistion down to ~ 5000, it would work out better. Maybe even go 3 valve, then 4. But then still why bother, the full time 4 valve on the gen 5 works sweet. KISS!!

I know Honda wont do anymore tweeking the VTEC though, the main purpose of the thing in the first place was to improve emissions. When it first came out in 2002, it passed the 2008 requirements from the get go.

MD

12. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    I agree with enuff cash,time, and tenacity you could beat the VTEC into submission to run the way you want.

My 2 cents is my experience on bikes that are 5th gen stock and 6th gen stock ridden back to back over about a 2 week period and about 3000 miles.

MD

13. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry, but you do kinda sound like a salesman which is not a bad thing if you really believe in the product. I do not like the VTEC on the VFR at all, and the issues with the VTEC are not exaggerated in my opinion (I think it may depend on the type of riding a person does - aggressive or not so aggresive). My problem would be why buy a new bike and then have to do engine work/modification. If the PC resolves the VTEC issues then why doesn't Honda use it or something like it with the VTEC engine on the VFR. To each his own is a sure way to be happy. Enjoy Bro!!

14. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Aren't I lucky ;) nothing but heaven here. I say Honda did this to prove a point. wasn't really necessary IMO.

15. Kevin_70

Kevin_70 New Member

No arguement here. When I plunked down over $9k on a brand new bike I shouldn't have to dish out an additional $300 bucks to make it perfect. I'm still happy with my Gen 6 though and have no regrets buying it.

16. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Well for one its not a proper Vtec as in Hondas Cars where all 4 valves operate all the time and the cam profile changes with the Rev's. Hondas main reason to go the 2 valve route at lower Rev's was to make the Gen 6 an emissions leading showpiece where in 2002 they advertised it adhered to the projected 2008 California emission rules. :crazy:

Like most bike riders I don't give a tinkers cuss about this ludicrous tree hugging marketing bollocks but I do care about an engines mid range delivery.

Having gone from a gen 6 to gen 5 due to a late 2004 oops getting a VFR again wasn't in question but losing a job at the same time meant a new was.

Finding an immaculate low milage Gen 5 for half the price of a new Gen 6 was a done deal.

While the Gen 6 was silghtly better at nearly everything than the Gen 5 including handling, the one thing that made the Gen 5 a better bike for me was that the Mid range is seamless, I naturally ride between 5.5 and 9.5k in the twisties and love the fact I didn't have to ride around the admittedly fun initially but longer term tedious Vtec transition anymore.

The v4's mid Range delivery is one advantage over the wash of uninteresting IL4's and one messed up with the introduction of the VTec. A change that made me angry at Honda, making me feel like Don Quixote and his irrational hatred of windmills after I realised what a brilliant machine the Gen 6 could have been had they just performed an evolutionary upgrade to the near perfect Gen 5 v4 rather than the revolutionary but in my mind unnesessary and flawed change it ended with. :wacko:

Thankfully the Gen 6's v4 still sounds brilliant with a set of Staintunes or Laser's etc installed, a sound that is far better to my ears than most other bikes. :cool:

17. chesthing

chesthing New Member

I really like the looks and exhaust of the 6th generation. Seems to me the natural progression to improve on the 5th would have been to make these changes and find a way to lose a few pounds and gain a few hp instead of chain driven cams and vtec.

18. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I thought that Honda tweaked the VTEC with the later model 6th Gens to the point that the transition is almost transparent. I'm sure I have seen that stated. How does the transition of a 2002 VTEC compare to a 2006?

19. Taz

Taz New Member

:smile: Gear driven cam's, - I'm all there :rockon:

20. mandingo68

mandingo68 New Member

My 06 Vif has a PC fitted. No complaints here,almost seam-less, smooth delivery throughout the mid range, and has great manners around town.

The Bad news: We often find ourselves in trouble:mad:
    The Good news: In trouble, we often find ourselves:wink: