Which tyres?

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Rocker66, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Rocker66

Rocker66 New Member

I was wondering if any VFR 1200 owners (there must be some out there ) have replaced the origonal tyres and if so which ones they used. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. I amnot the fastest rider so ultra grip is not requied. Reasonable grip and respectable mileage is what I am looking for. Being in the UK good wet weather performance would be a big advantage

2. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    Michelin Pilot Road 2's and 2ct's are on the cheap right now due to the coming release of the Pilot 3's. Sounds like they'll do everything you'd ask of them, although the 3's will supposedly offer that much more wet weather capability. Both lean slightly to the sporty side of sport-touring.

3. Rocker66

Rocker66 New Member

Thank you. The VFR is laid up until about March as I use the Deauville in the winter months. I probably won't need tyres until a couple of months after that so I may try the 3s. Meanwhile if anyone has any more experiances of VFR 1200 tyres to share they would be most welcome

4. Captain Happy

Captain Happy New Member

I'm running Q2's right now. Only because that's all the local shops had in stock at the time. I punctured the front in under 150 miles of buying the bike! So far so good. They seem to work well riding two up. I'll see what happens for mileage. When it comes time to replace them, I'm putting Continentals on it. Probably some Conti Road Attack 2's. I ran Conti Road Attacks on a GSXR, they were outstanding tires...wore well...and stuck to the pavement like glue. They are different then everyone elses tires...so they take a bit to get used to.

Just about any tire you choose is going to work on the street. Don't spend big bucks for the latest and the greatest just because they are the cool thing to have. Plus, find a tire that fits your riding style...and to hell with what's the most popular, which translates into who spends the most on advertising usually.

5. Dutchgixxer

Dutchgixxer New Member

At the moment i use michelin pilot powers. I will try sportsmart if the MPP's are worn. I never have used the OEM tires. I prefer sports tires on my VFR1200. They give a much more nimble handling and still a acceptable milleage

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  6. NRESQ

NRESQ New Member

Running BattleAx BT-016 (stickier than OEM). So far performing awesome. Not sure how much milage I'll get.

7. Rocker66

Rocker66 New Member

As I hope to quite a bit of mileage this year visting Wales Scotland Northern Ireland & The Republic I think BT-016 might be a bit too sticky and quick wearing for my needs. I would be interested in how well they last though

8. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    My pilot road 2 last me between 9 to 12 k miles not kilometer :)
    Another guy claim he got over 15K miles.........