Words vs. Actions: Presidential Hypocrasy

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by squirrelman, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    S-man:

Hey brother, I agree with you that people having opposing viewpoints should read each others belief systems. At the time of my response I did not have time to write more.

Having read both Rand’s and Chompsky’s works (not all, but a fair amount) much of what they both write is shit IMO. However, I think Chompsky’s best work involves his criticisms of American foreign policy. He exposes the double standard we enforce around the world with pretty good clarity. His conclusions have repercussions I don’t think he fully understands, but still can’t take away the truth. In fact, people need to be reminded that the ‘truth’ is the ‘truth’ no matter where or who it comes from. I also enjoy some of his criticisms of ‘postmodernism’. But at times I think Chomsky gets confused without seeing it because he is a humanist. Postmodernism at its core is a humanist philosophy. So it’s hard to be critical of postmodernism and break free from it with humanist criticism. Theologian Albert Moehler attacks post modern thought even better than Chompsky.

My main bitch about Rand’s writings is she totally eliminates ‘morality’ from her self centered writings. Although “Atlas Shrugged” was a good novel and I enjoyed the premise of bureaucracy choking out the true individuals of a society whose personal innovation drive the society in which they reside. But Rand never begs the question of what the logical conclusion of following ones self-interest to the end and those self- interests are above all else? Well Ms. Rand, ask Tiger Woods how he doing right know since he followed his self interest. And to take as many pages as she did to make her point? Damn!

If anybody wants to read a very poignant and funny criticism of ‘bureaucracy’ read pages 131 to 134 from William S. Burroughs “Naked Lunch”. Burroughs took a few pages to what Rand took hundreds. (Basically, bureaucracy is a talking asshole that takes over the individual LOL!)

I also believe people like Rand and Chomsky, since they live (well she’s dead, so lived) in academia. They become insulated from the real world. So when you are as smart as, well Chompsky is, it is easy to believe you are right on all theses’ in which he may espouse. To me, that is one of our societies biggest issues. We manufacture ourselves as our own God. Our ideas become lofty and right. And when you are ‘right’ you’ll damn near do anything to make it true. It’s a slippery slope being right and forcing right. C.S. Lewis smacked that idea, among others, across my face in his book “God in the Dock”.

S-man, if you want to read a book that will really blow your mind, since we have all been heavily influenced by postmodern and humanist thought is “The Arrogance of Humanism” by David Ehrenfeld. He’s a Rutgers University professor and also a practicing Jew. After reading that book I really re-evaluated what some of my philosophical heroes wrote. Used copies are cheap on Amazon.com:biggrin:

To be continued…

BZ

2. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    Read up on opposing views? What, are you nuts? That would take up all kinds of time and make my head hurt. Besides anyone that reads Burrough can't be anything but weird. And no you can't borrow my copy of Junky, get your own

3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States

4. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    Hey, Bear! Are you ignoring me? I'm one of your biggest fans! Now how about answering my question. How many bags of flour do you go through each week so you can have sex with your two beefy babes! Time to come (so to speak) clean.:biggrin:

I just wanted to elevate the conversation.

5. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map

My bad Knife, working a lot of hours.

The ladies dont use flour, they have developed their own special technique they have dubbed "BearMeat Sandwich"

You really really do not want to know..............

6. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    I have heard that bikinis in those large sizes are made from flour sacks.

7. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map

8. deepdish

deepdish Banned

purgatory.........................................
    can you say that ??????????????????????:faint2:

9. deepdish

deepdish Banned

purgatory.........................................
    uhhhhhhhh have you checked the current unemployment rate to a year ago? or the deficet??? I see why we are in so much trouble.......wish I could live in the world of candy and flowers....:crazy:I equate obama for not being knowledgeable by borrowing money to pay off debt..Is that a good point?????homes don't get forclosed on for medical bills....they get foreclosed on for not paying the loan.....:tongue: