Would you have taken the keys from this Ducati guy?

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by GatorGreg, Jul 23, 2017.

?

Would you have taken the keys from this Ducati guy?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    64.3%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. Other (explain below)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Would you have taken the keys from this Ducati guy? I think I would have taken them and given them to the cops / paramedics when they arrived.

Eagle Six and Samuel like this.
  2. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Probably not. I assume they did not know the guy.
    If you are able to pick it up and ride away, it's not that bad. Imho.

3. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    He was intoxicated beyond his ability to just sit on his bike or he had hit his head so hard he was unable to. For his safety and the safety of others he would have to get a ride home even if I gave him the ride myself.

4. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    You mean pick it up, drop it again and fall with it, almost drop it again, (all while looking very confused) then take off. Lol. He could have blacked out down the road and killed someone is my concern. Makes me think he took off like that because of an issue with his license, his record, he was drunk, or some combination.

I would have taken keys, at least until he regained composure (much more time) or cops came.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  5. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Many years ago on a club ride, a 50-ish guy ran wide on a 20mph corner and dropped his bike in gravel/dirt on the outside. We picked him up and he got back on, but certainly looked very pale. About 5 miles later, he toppled off his bike on a straight. Turns out the shock of the first crash had caused a heart attack. In spite of great CPR efforts at the scene, he was dead when the air ambulance arrived.

Eagle Six and Bubba Utah like this.
  6. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Actually, if I was the camera guy, come upon an accident off to the side, people are already helping, I'm just gonna ride on and not even stop. I'm no paramedic. Now if someone I am riding with takes a fall, different story. :Noidea:

Last time I stopped for a crash it was some guy I caught up to on Little Tujunga.
    He disappeared into an uphill decreasing radius right turn.
    When I got into the turn and saw him again, his bike was sideways, he was out of the seat.
    Right then I knew it would not end well, high side!
    I pulled over and hung with him, shared my Gatorade, until the ambulance came and took him off with a suspected broken collar bone.
    I could not leave a downed fellow rider there alone. :Rolleyes:

34468 Randy, Samuel and Bubba Utah like this.
  7. Eagle Six

Eagle Six New Member

United States
    Map

If there was ever a time to pull a guys keys, I would say this is a good example. While you distract him, easy to do to a guy in his condition, snatch the keys and cuff them in your pocket. Try to calm him down and buy some time until the police arrive. Then mysteriously you find the keys on the ground....."BTW officer I found this set of keys by the ground over here, I think they may belong to this Ducati guy!" There are times when a good Samaritan doesn't have to reveal all the facts for the betterment of both the Ducati guy and the rest of us.

You did find the keys, and they were by the ground (when the bike was laid over, they were very close to the ground). The fact they were in the ignition switch is best kept to yourself. You don't have to advertise it or document it on Youtube.

Of course he may have had a spare key in his pocket, I always do, but one step at a time. There are other ways to detain people for the good of all until authorities can arrive and flex their muscles. Sometimes when you stop and get involved, you may realize this is the time to really get involved with a reasonable solution to prevent a crime or tragedy. It's called stepping up to the plate. Just my opinion.

Samuel, derstuka and TOE CUTTER like this.
  8. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Oh shit, I turn 50 next month. F..k I'm dead!;-)

Samuel likes this.
  9. Eagle Six

Eagle Six New Member

United States
    Map
    Don't give in to the dark side Bubba, next month just skip 50 and go directly to 51. That's what I did and have now managed to tack on another 20 years on top of that!

Bubba Utah and Samuel like this.
  10. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    How do we know the guy was loaded?
    Maybe he was just pissed off that the dropped his expensive Duck into the kitty litter. I would be.
    I also might be inclined to say fuck off and hit the gas if they told me to sit down and wait.
    Especially if I was drunk, haha. :Fencing:

11. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    First thought he was freekin embarrassed
    but after falling over
    Yah think he was two sheets to the wind--- something was off kilter.
    E Six hit it on the nose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samuel and Eagle Six like this.
  12. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    I disagree IMO, Crashed, disoriented, Injured probably, Cant keep it up, can't think straight with good advise. I think that he was intoxicated and crashed and even more so disoriented with shock.

Even being a stranger and solo with witnesses, I would have taken the keys since the property owners witnessed the crash and was calling 911. Basically you are taking possession of his bike by taking the keys. And by doing so like the one guy acted like "Fuck that" you are taking responsibility for his future actions possibly depending on local or state laws by allowing him or her to continue by giving them back! I would not have attempted to have him sit or lay down physically. I am not certified on CPR so I would be "hesitant" since this country is such a "Sue you for trying" I would assist in comfort/ conversation/ liquids etc. while waiting for the proper authorities! If in need we all should be able to see this guy crashed, was unfit to ride himself, and his bike as well being a threat to public safety! We just don't want to be bothered and that is sad! Yes it kills the buzz of the ride, but you may have saved not only one but others down the road!

Definitely not a 4,000lbs Suv, truck or even less in a passenger car, but for those that know Physics, What is the possible damage a 700lbs object at 80-90mph do to a stationary or counter directional moving object at 60mph? What is the possible structural damage and human damage that would occur with this guys behavior on your wife's car with the kids on a head on because you did not care?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    duccmann, Samuel and Eagle Six like this.
  13. Eagle Six

Eagle Six New Member

United States
    Map
    We don't know that he is "loaded", but it is obvious from the video he is severely impaired. He has difficulty standing without aid. Has difficulty walking, and can't upright his own bike without aid. He dumped his bike in the corner and a few minutes later laid it over, it is obvious his balance is whacked out. It is also obvious he has a lot of adrenaline running through his body and a lot of stupidity running along with it, regardless of the cause.

If he is drunk, I care less what way or time he does himself in, his choice. The care I have is during the process of him doing himself in, he injures or kills someone else or damages someone else's property. If his impairment has been caused by the force of him dumping his bike, I would also like to see him take the time to get this brain and body parts properly functioning before blasting off again. In this case, it appears to me, that would mean a visit to the ER for at least observation. Both by his actions and words, during this video, he is not acting rational.

34468 Randy likes this.
  14. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Would you be willing to take that chance based on what you saw in the video?

Just think, by stopping him from riding you very likely could have saved his life, or better yet an innocent person/family driving down the road that he hits and kills. Now that would be something to brrraaaaaaappp to!

Eagle Six likes this.
  15. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I hit 53 this year. I deduct 30 years off that when I ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I wouldn't have done it obviously, but when the guy wasn't looking I would have removed the keys. I wouldn't have said anything to anyone, but handed the keys off when the EMT's arrived. That guy was in no shape to ride, it might be me or one of my friends that he hits when he crashes again.

17. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    As a former LEO, I don;t understand why you would keep it secret from the police where you found the keys, and that in fact, you removed them from the ignition. Many probably fear that constitutes a theft. It does not. If anything, you may be preventing a crime from taking place or an offense from continuing. The rest of your post I agree with, just not understanding the rationale of being secretive about where you obtained those keys to law enforcement. Also, by not telling the police where you got those keys, you "may" be failing to fill in a necessary link in evidence to secure a conviction if in fact this guy was impaired. Impaired Driving trials have become so intense. The absolute slightest thing missing in the chain of evidence, and the bastards walk.

Eagle Six and Samuel like this.
  18. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    For both medical reasons and for evidentiary reasons on a suspected impaired driver, give him absolutely nothing by mouth. That adds yet one more obstacle in a successful conviction.

19. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Wouldn't have thought twice about taking them and hand them over to the ems personel who turned up. Can't say from vid, but the guy is either concussed or pissed.

20. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Concussed or drunk, both very plausible. Certainly something was impairing him from riding safely. The other explanation that I would have considered was a diabetic episode. A diabetic will display all the characteristics of a drunk, including being aggressive, if their blood sugar levels are out.
    Keys should have been taken and retained, both for his own safety and the safety of others.