02 v 06 windscreen

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by imnohero, Mar 5, 2007.

1. imnohero

imnohero New Member

I admit I'm kinda embarrassed. I ordered a ZG DB off of ebay for my 06. It was advertised as a 6th gen screen to fit 02-06 models. When it arrived I noticed that it is a little different. The screen on my 06 has a couple of tabs on the lower front that slide into slots in the body work, but the 02 screen doesn't have them. So now I'm thinking that the 02 screen won't fit right...well, it'll probably fit but won't be secure. Did I waste my money? (I can get some pics later today)

2. TooManyToys

TooManyToys New Member

I just bought one on EBay for my '07. Let me know how you make out!

3. grinder

grinder New Member

I have a zero gravity screen on my 05. The tabs are slightly different from the original but it fitted fine. No problems at all. Mine is a sport tour screen but I expect the tabs are the same. I would just install it. Mine went in easy and is secure.

4. imnohero

imnohero New Member

Ok, finally got the pictures taken. Clicky to view images.

The clear screen is the stock one, the dark is the DB.

The DB windscreen is missing the side tabs that lock into the bodywork. It is a different shape, but that's to be expected. But if you look closely at the pictures, it is the same length and slightly narrower. Additionally the mounting holes (while the same distance apart and the same diameter) are in a slightly different place. Maybe it's hard to tell all that in the pictures, but I played with them for 20 minutes.

I'm going to do a test fit sometime in the next couple days, but it's not looking promising. On the bright side, some lucky VFRworld member is probably going to get a smoking deal on an 02 windscreen.

5. Wargoose

Wargoose New Member

Well, I don't know about aftermarket screens, but I have an '02 and my stock screen it works the same as your stock screen - lower front has tabs that fit into slots and up top you have two bolts (which reside under the plastic covers) through holes to secure it.

If the aftermarket one you bought does not have the tabs, it's not going to work any better on an '02 than your '06.

Any chance it is a molding defect or broken in some way? Or maybe they just shipped you the wrong screen?

Wargoose

6. imnohero

imnohero New Member

It doesn't appear to be broken in any way. I guess it's possible that they sent the wrong screen.

7. TooManyToys

TooManyToys New Member

Did you check the part number on the box against the correct part number in their website?

8. imnohero

imnohero New Member

No. It appears I failed to apply the "let the buyer beware" motto, normally I'm much more careful about ebay purchases. Eh, I can afford to be foolish once in a while.

9. TooManyToys

TooManyToys New Member

If we can't afford to be foolish, we shouldn't be involved with motorcycles!:biggrin:

10. imnohero

imnohero New Member

HA! An excellent point.

Though I prefer to think of motorcycling as "calculated risk" rather than foolish. :)