04 VFR 800 Slip Ons ???

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by flatblack04, Aug 29, 2004.

1. NYMBYSS

NYMBYSS New Member

United States
    vtec slip ons

i got lazers as well luv them fit and finish are excellent!!!!

2. Saint_Craig

Saint_Craig New Member

Exhausts.

I was originally thinking of the Lazers myself, but Have decided to go with the Staintunes.

Anyone got a line on a good place to get them, I have found the prices for the 02 and up Staintunes fluctuate wildily, I have seen them as high as $980 and as low as $690.

3. SilverVFR

SilverVFR New Member

Did anyone get back to you on this? I'm also curious on the best place to buy Staintunes. I've TRIED 3 times to get ahold of Sporttour via email and have had no response whatsoever, so I'm open to other vendors.

4. SilverVFR

SilverVFR New Member

I just heard back from them. So disregard this last post.
    Glen is being very helpful.

Here is his reply:
    Our pricing on the Staintunes for the VFR is $809. Unfortunately the Staintunes are on back order for at least several more weeks. Micron gives you several options. The following is our pricing on the available options:

Aluminum Canisters - $695
    Carbon Fiber or Titanium Canisters - $795

Another nice option on your bike is the Remus systems. Our pricing is:

Aluminum Caniters - $689
    Carbon or Titanium Canisters - $769

Shipping on any of the above would be $10. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
    Glen Sullivan
    (866)761-0936
    www.sporttour.com

5. thermometer_69

thermometer_69 New Member

Map
    I just installed the Two Bros M2 V.A.L.E. I paid $872 for the titanium. They routed it through just the one can and the other is a real can ( a spare if you would ever need a spare) but is basically a dumby. I just installed them monday night so I don't have my complete opinion, I did take a spin last night and I can alredy tell what a difference in power and the VTEC surge seams to be less but I'll know better this weakend. I am pleased with the quality and they look a billion times better than stock and about a million times better than the Two Bros STASH. Sound? you might ask, if an exhaust note can sound mean, sexy, loud, beutiful, strong, (some might say like a small block V8 but I never will) all in one blip of the throttle then thats what I think it sounds like, like music to my ears, I think I just fell back in love with my 05. I'll be posting pictures and a fuller opinion after this weakend.

6. Roytonlad

Roytonlad New Member

I would like to add another strand to a good thread:

Most if not all of the thread is about slip-ons. Is there any advantage to a complete new system; extra HP etc??

And what about the need for remaping or needing to add a power commander?

7. lootyman

lootyman New Member

Depends what you're after Royland.

In general terms, full systems offer more top end power via horses.
    Slipons offer more midrange power via torque.

You're more likely to get away with putting slipons on and never fiddling with the engine.
    A full system will require some mapping and dyno time to maximize your potential and smooth out the powerband.''

And thermo..."I think I just fell back in love with my 05"
    It's only half of 06 and you fell OUT of love already?!?! C'mon man!!!

8. thermometer_69

thermometer_69 New Member

Map
    hey lootyman, it's the VTEC that hurt our relationship, and no gear whine, any way she's a keeper, I'm just working through our differences.

9. lootyman

lootyman New Member

hehehe. did you have one of the gear driven VFRs? what a cool feature.
    i'm just beginning my love affair. purchased mine only a week ago...and put 300 miles on it:cool:

my last bike was an 03 suz sv1000s. awesome ride, but a bit of a torture rack when it comes to ergos.

can't wait to get my Ti Microns. scored an awesome deal on streetfighters usas website due to an error:eek:

10. vfrmiller

vfrmiller New Member

Hey thermometer_69 do you have pics yet of your TwoBros? Also do you like the ride? I want to get exhaust for my 04 just not sure what kind yet?

11. jackson

jackson New Member

My opinion

I would still go with the staintunes and yes price does vary. I got mind for 675 at sporttour.com forget the guys name I worked with over there. I bought a few items so I think that was the discounted price. Great fit and finish easy to install and once the baffles are out sounds great. Also noticed after about 2k miles on exhaust the tone is much throatier.

12. Saint_Craig

Saint_Craig New Member

Well the line I had on cheap Staintunes Evaporated, now their costs are in line with everyone else. Oh well, so I bought the Lazer Extremes and I am now just awaiting them. Which is ok, since this exhaust is what originally caught my eye when I was looking for another VFR.

13. vfrmiller

vfrmiller New Member

lootyman, Can you tell me why you are going with the Ti Microns? I have narrowed my search to the Microns and TwoBros. Like the Staintunes but they dont come in Ti. Any input would be helpful

Thanks

14. lootyman

lootyman New Member

Sure miller! I got the Microns because streetfighter-usa has a glaring mistake on their website. They list the price of the Ti cans only 150 bucks more than the aluminums:confused: ... :eek: ... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

That made the decision easy for me:first:

I like the cans. They are refined (read, not blaring loud). I'm sure with more usage, they'll liven up a bit as the packing goes ka-put. I'm considering open the cans and removing some myself...dunno tho.

They sound deep and growly.:cool:

15. lootyman

lootyman New Member

Check it out! They still haven't fixed it!

Order them. They'll ask you if you'll pay $800. Tell them to get bent and that you want the advertised price. They're pretty good guys, so it's tough to be a hard-ass. But I believe $50 is worth it.

Also, if staintune made titanium systems, they'd have to call them TiTunes. I'm sure they never make them just on this principle alone!
    :rofl:

16. vfrmiller

vfrmiller New Member

Alls I have to say is gotta love the lootyman.

Thanks for the info!

17. lootyman

lootyman New Member

Seriously, I placed my order about a month ago. If they don't have the nuts to hope their website and fix that glaring mistake, then they deserve to get taken advantage of as much as possible.:caked:

18. Saint_Craig

Saint_Craig New Member

VFR Exhaust - And the subsequent Shake down tour.

Well as I stated along time ago, and many moons back I opted for the Lazer cans over the Staintunes, since the line I had on Staintunes for about the same price as the lazers evaporated and the price went up about $150 bucks.

Anyway heres the impressions now that I've had them on for a few weeks, and have had a chance to "Play".

1. The lazers are just annoying to install. - the pipes come in 7 sections, with two mounting sub assemblies.

I highly recommend removing the rear fairing, Brake light and rear fender it just makes life much easier in the long run.

2. Removal of the factory system. - After all of the aforementioned body works are out of the way. Undo the exhaust pipe where it attaches to the collector.

Then remove the two bolts in the rear holding the factory muffler in place. Wiggle the pipes side to side while allow ing the rear section to drop a bit, and simuletaneously lifting on the front of the pipe where it attaches to the collector.

Important Safety tip 1 - The exhaust is hot. Your bike will take about an hour to cool down. in 30 minutes when the pipe by the collecto is cool to the touch the factory cans will still burn you.

BAM its off. Prety easy I'm thinking this is going to be a piece of cake. (WRONG)

Important safety tip2 - Tighten everything up on the new exhaust AFTER it is loosely fitted in place working from the back to the front. Irreguardless of what the directions tell you.

3. Install lazer pipes. - Section 1, install first Y pipe from collector. Pretty straight forward. Done.

Section 2, Install Second and third Y pipe spltters onto this pipe... Hold on No where does it tell me which one goes into what port. Eventually I go to the computer look at a picture of one installed and zoom in on it in nero. AH-HA.

Section 3, Install the four exhausts. Oh wait the directions do not say which ones are the Top pair and which ones are the bottom pair. After wasting much time deducing the incatricies of the mounting bracket I finally figure out the smaller pair of mufflers go on top. Ok done.

Now choose a Spud to use. Lesee I have street, Too restrictive. Street-sport looks promising and finally full race.

Throwing the Street spuds away at this point. (They're more restrictive than the factory pipes.)

Lets install the Street-Sport spuds. Done.

Fire up bike sounds good. However it's dark boo. Will give things a proper shakedown tomorrow.

After proper shakedown the Vtech flatspot is worse. Ok perhaps I should reconsider. At this point I'm about ready to cry, thinking I'm going to have the long ardurous task of taking things apart to put in the race spuds.

After a few moments I hit upon the idea of losening the brackets enough so that I can slide the bottom cans forward a bit (Carefully) and tap out the spuds with a bamboo pole I had about (Broomstick would work too.).

I pop in the race spuds, Slide things back in place tighten up the clamps and fire up the bike.

NICE SOUND. not a whole lot louder than the street sport spuds. (I think it's 92 Db Vs 97 Db) But the real proof is in the performance.

(Long sotry not as long as it could be.)

Flat spot gone - Power climbs perdictabily now up tp the point that the VTECH kicks in, and then WHAM power climbs much sharper than before but again perdictibly. Nice.

At highway speed (Ok my highway speed. 65, 70, 75, 80, whatever I think I can get away with.) You cannot hear the exhaust over the wind noise. However I know it's loud as the one Statie I came up on Snapped to attention and was on the radar gun. As I cam around the corner, apparently I woke him up. :eek:

Luckily out in lancaster they have all the Highway Radar you're going to fast signs around all the construction sites and I pretty much know what the radar profile of the VFR is. (Tiny.) About 2 car lengths.

So suffice it to say by the time I saw that I had woken him up and he had reached for the rader gun I was down to 60. :biggrin:

So I spent the day playing on the Tigh turns Out in Gap on RT 896. Extroadinary views, nice elevation changes. And the tight turns 90 Deg Sweepers "BANKED"! For cars they're marked 15 and 20 Mph, for bikes If you can't do them at 40 you need to consider another hobby. I mean these turns are BANKED at somewhere between 15 and 25 Degrees.

Important safety tip 3 - If you do ride this keep in mind you are in Amish country. so when setting up your line through the turn be prepared to stay high or stay low don't plan on coming in high and exiting low. The Amish have horses. Horses tend to poo, and gnerally in the middle of your line through that beautiful right hand sweeper.

So all in all A good time was had, and several times I had the Amish looking at me bug eyed as I came through a turn all leaned over (Almost Parallel to the ground. - Did I mention Banked turns Rock) While they were going the other way.

-Cheers!

19. NYMBYSS

NYMBYSS New Member

United States
    sound ,looks ,workmanship, and price laser is the way to go for me

20. Spud

Spud New Member

Map
    Can anyone get a sound clip on those Lazer pipes??

And emptor let me know what kind of price you get on those pipes..