10 Second VFR

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by CandyRedRC46, Apr 20, 2013.

1. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    custom fuel cell would be a good idea especially if it could allow ram air into the air box. but i dont think im ready to give up the 6 gallon fuel tank at the moment lol.

2. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    i think the next on the list is:
    brake delink and 2007 cbr1000rr front end
    ceramic coat the header
    small dry nitrous shot
    and a dyno tune

3. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Weigh loss thoughts. On my 5th gen the delink was around a 6 1/2 pound drop. A 6th gen job would be simular. In the keep it simple column, you could drop in F4i lower fork legs and add the F4i brakes and master or also the RC51 calipers and separate m/c and reservior would be a tick less weight.

- Another thing I have caught from the forums, - the F4i wheel is a drop in. You might have to fool with the spacers.

- -Not saying anything here is the best, just ideas for simplicity.

:cool:

4. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    thanks mello dude! has anyone reported that the f4i wheel is lighter than the vfr?

5. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Yes it is, I dont remember the exact number, but I am guessing 1 1/2 to 2 pounds difference. The F4i I believe is a 3 spoke. I would like to try it just for grins a some point. (If I could find a cheap one.) Oh yeah the rotor I think is the same dia as the vfr, would have to double check that.

6. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    That sounds worth it.
    I wonder how hard it would be to bolt up a 04-07 cbr1000 tail section?

7. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Anything could be done if your determined enuff. But a new tail will require some creativity. The CBR tail would definately be lighter.

8. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Oh yeah that's the idea. I am thinking about that and doing something different with the header.

9. wildstang

wildstang New Member

thats what ive been saying all along these ol 800's have the potential to run in the mid 10's. im currently working out the bugs on my timing adjustments. it is quite radical with timing increases from mid to high rpm and race fuel with a splash of nitro methane in it. havent had the chance to take it to the track since installing my rapid bike module but it has become so wheelie happy now with the timing increases coming on in the lower rpm's. im currently working up a map for race fuel and the methane and then will retune for pump premium last.

10. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Do NHRA rules allow a "splash of nitromethane" without changing classification from gas to fuel? Same with N02 too?

11. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    That's awesome! How much are you advancing? Can you take a screen shot of your timing map?

12. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    I don't know about wild stang's track, but they wouldn't notice at mine.
    At my track there are basically just two classes:
    A.) You drove your bike in.
    B.) You trailer'd your bike in.

Oh ps badbilly you're gonna love this, Orlando Speed World wound up catching a bunch of shit for posting up that pic of them handing over the trophy to me in jeans... Awkward... lol

13. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    I'm all for mods and going fast but lets say some guy comes in with a similar displacement bike, rides it in running 30-90% nitro and a rear arm extension, ain't gonna be any trophies for you homeboys. Same deal for internals, type of engine, ect.

I'm thinking where you are running has a "run what ya brung" category that does not adhere to NHRA competition rules. Again, this is cool too but IMO not a real elimination type drag meet. Case in point. There's a guy here in the PNW that show up at PIR once in awhile who runs a 500 cc Honda on gas. The bike is trailered and bone stock. Goes like hell and runs in the 9's. Why? Its a old two stroke GP bike. In a bike roadrace meet you could hear the screaming by the other competitors clear to California. ;)

Then ya got your "All Harley Drags", not to be confused with "All Harley Drag Queens", a popular MC Near the San Francisco, area.

Nice ,but when facts are left out to make a dovetail, questions arise.

14. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    [​IMG]

So I went out to the track last night. I tried to pull every trick in the book in search getting a 10.8. And although I was leaving harder than ever before, finaally getting my 60 foots in the 1.7 second range, the bike just did't have the top end like before. Even on my best run of the night, I just couldn't break into the tens again, and my trap speeds showed that I was way down on power since last month.

For one reason or another I was consistently down almost 3 mph on each run. I did all the routine race prepping that I normally do:

1.) Remove Mirrors
    2.) Remove Passenger Pegs
    3.) Remove Dummy Exhaust Muffler
    4.) Strapped the front end all the way down
    5.) Show'd up With the tank nearly empty
    6.) Crank the rebound on the rear shock all the way up

But, this time around I tried to take it a step further:

7.) I lowered the front end 1/2 inch before strapping it down.
    8.) I flipped the triangle plates, dropping the rear about an inch
    9.) Placed a bag of ice on the gas tank in between runs to cool down the gas and air intake a little
    10.) Cleaned up and regreased the front axle and bearings.
    11.) I didn't eat junk food or drink that much over the past month, and exercised more = -10 pounds

All the mods above I am pretty much certain helped, but listed below are the couple other steps I took yesterday that I am questioning:

12.) Brand new Michelin PR3 to replace my worn down BT23. This definitively helped in the traction department, but may have added some rotational weight and gearing as it still had full tread.

13.) Dropped the rear tire pressure down to 27 psi, which definitely aided in traction, but may have added some frictional drag.

14.) The little gas that I had in the tank was ethanol free 91 octane, which felt great on the street, but in fact might have hampered performance. The bike may be stronger with 93 octane or that gas may be old if the gas station tanks do not get refreshed enough, I don't know...

15.) One of the more questionable mods of yesterday, I pulled the muffler off, but left all piping intact. What I was going for was the 3 pound weight reduction, but the shortening of the exhaust by 12 inches may have effected the tuning slightly. But, lets be honest, the two brothers muffler is entirely straight through, so there were no flow changes and even after shortening the exhaust track by 12 inches it is still a good deal longer than the fifth gen piping.

16.) Finally the one that really caught me off guard, I borrowed my friends leathers and holy cow, they are REALLY HEAVY. I think those leathers basically just entirely counteracted my month of skipping fries and soda and pulling off the second muffler.

17.) This one is entirely out of my hands, but it was warmer last night, and that could have very well been the main contributing factor here.

P.S. sorry for sounding like a complete squid on the bitching about the leathers weight... lol

15. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    So here's the progress over the past couple months:

Feb 20 2013

[​IMG]

Mar 27 2013
    [​IMG]

April 20 2013

[​IMG]

May 18 2013

[​IMG]

Side note:

Something weird seemed to happened to the calculations on the March 27 run with the negative density altitude. The times should have gone way up after being corrected not down... Weird stuff.

16. carlgustav

carlgustav New Member

Hi,

I've been following this thread on/off and noticed this nitrous suggestion. I have a similar system from this company that I installed a couple of years ago. I never really got it dialed in, and since I started riding track (different bike) shortly after putting the system on my VFR, I haven't paid much more attention to it. However, I do have it fully plumbed in per the instructions, and I experimented a couple of times with a 12 hp jet, then a 25 hp jet. The instructions led me to drill two small holes in the airbox, one on each side and both pointing at the intake air temp. sensor. Then I fed the supplied lines to orifices that came with the kit and were screwed/sealed to these holes. These lines come from the solenoid that delivers the nitrous, and the jet sits in the solenoid. By shooting the nitrous from both sides, and across the IAT, the ECU was supposed to be fooled into supplying the needed additional fuel when the sensor is chilled by the incoming nitrous.

As I recall, using the system with the 12 hp jet made the bike feel as if VTEC was kicking in again up at speed. The 25 hp jet was yet again a larger, even more noticeable kick, BUT, the engine felt as if detonation was occurring on/off so I quit at that point. I meant to re-visit dialing in the 25 hp jet once I got my PCIII, but never got around to it. In the process of playing with a nitrous set-up, I removed the entire stock exhaust from the Cat back, and replaced it with a small Supertrapp muffler hanging directly off the Cat. This allowed me to hang 2 gas bottles in place of the stock mufflers, letting me carry 40 oz of gas. And I shaved ~12 lbs of weight ...

ACE

17. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Good stuff Ace! Thanks for the info!
    I think I would be worried about unequal spray distribution with that set up. Sounds like that kind of kit would suite a bike with the ram air intake tube(s) and temp sensor(s) inside them, for better distribution, while still hitting the sensor. I would be interested to see the response time and range of our sensor. If we were spraying (guessing here) 0 degree nitrous, i wonder how long it would take the temp sensor and our ecu to respond to that change and if that temperature might fall bellow the range of adjustment that the sensor/ecu could make adjustments for. All in all, very valuable info, thanks again Ace!

18. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    I installed my Barret springs over the weekend. The clutch lever is stiffer, but it's not bad at all. I rechecked the clutch discs and they are still above the service limit.

Rode the bike hard and I have no slippage. w00t!

19. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    thats awesome! glad to help!

20. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    I Have The Measurements On The Erion Racing Header Vs The Motad

Okay I finally found someone with the infamous full race erion system and he was gracious enough to let me take measurements of it and go for a ride. So I have a bunch of info to share now. First off I must say the fifth gens are great bikes! Awesome sound and feel. It doesnt feel quite as strong on the bottom below 4 or 5 thousand rpms but it is deffinetely not lacking in the midrange and top end. I didn't go flogging it, because its not my bike, but it felt great. The lack of low end could be attributed to the larger exhaust or the tuning, or the gearing, but his felt fine and who needs power below 5,000 rpms anyway. I am sure with a rapid bike and a good tune he could get it all back. After we took all the measurement while the muffler was off he took it around the block for shits and giggles, and all I could say was wow! It sounded like we were sitting front row at the moto gp races! Anyways here is all the info i could get and a couple of videos, because everyone likes videos!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

F6AAA7AD-5F8F-4572-B3C2-F17929E4E417-7552-000005001A11924E_zps83a4879c.mp4 Video by candyredrc46 | Photobucket

802FE11A-0FEA-4D6D-8E46-AC3F9BC0CF73-7597-00000503662117C7_zps3a8c3b4b.mp4 Video by candyredrc46 | Photobucket

5512A811-B92D-49FB-982E-A3148CEEFF95-7597-00000506A138C74C_zps1c8a6ca9.mp4 Video by candyredrc46 | Photobucket

66434416-AD53-454B-9D37-7109E4398D33-7597-00000504C013C816_zps532274e6.mp4 Video by candyredrc46 | Photobucket

What i want to do is have a header built that has the following specs
    primaries with 35mm i.d. tappering out to 38mm with a length of about 28 inches and make sure they are all equal length. (the motad primaries are way off.)
    then put the front 2 together and the rear two together after 28 inches and have y pipes of 38mm x2 in and 42mm out
    and then have a final y pipe of 42mm i.d. x2 in and 48mm i.d. out at the collector.