'17 VFR v. '17 Ducati SuperSport S (MCN Comparo)

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by GatorGreg, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Well put on rider skill. When I moved up into advanced class track days I was amazed at how fast guys were on machines that were not full blown road race bikes. A lot of the fast guys obviuosly have well sortd 1k's and 600's but a lot have other non pure road racing bikes that they like to flog, SV's with some work done to them are popular and they are still very fast on the "slower bike". A friend who is a track instructor use to give me tows, I woud go much faster following him. I progressed to the point where the bike started tto move around quite a bit. At first it was terrrifying as hell but he told me to think back to our dirt days and not be afraid, that when this is starting to happen that you are starting to get fast. Starting! lol I was usually in the back1/4 of advanced and felt much more comfortable running in advanced than the madness of intermediate. Getting passed inside and outside of turns was fine, just hold a steady line and the fast guys will find their way around. Experienced fast guys are fast on about anythng.

2. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map

And who is said old Chinese guy? I want some of his other proverbs, that was funny.

3. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Please do - I would enjoy watching it! It looked to me like Smoke was also at about a 45 degree lean angle on his 8th gen in that vid - maybe even 50 - do you agree? Here's a screenshot from his vid - he said the camera was on the nose of his bike. Edit: This article says the SuperSport actually has a 48 degree lean angle - don't know where they got that number from though: https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2017/02/19/2017-ducati-supersport-s-first-ride-test-18-fast-facts/

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    He goes by the handle of Won Fun Guy. He is also the originator of "Shit Happens". ;)

5. 01ragtop

01ragtop Member

United States
    Map
    Camera angles can be deceiving, but he's getting after it for sure. Screenshot_20170429-115852.jpg
    There is a lot more to it than max lean angle. How quick you can get it leaned over may be just as, if not, more important.

6. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    Nice pic ragtop! If I ever find myself riding like you or Mr. Smoke below (which is NEVER gonna happen LOL) then I'll know it's time for me to start shopping for a sportier bike. Until then, I'll be VERY content with my 8th gen!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    No need to worry John! Ducati says the 16 liter tank "guarantees" you "autonomy" on medium-range trips and it also "amplifies the touring attitude" of the SuperSport :beguiled: I'm NOT making this shit up! :witless: (see screenshot of their website below). Even my old Ninja 300 had a bigger tank and it probably got close to double the mpg's as the SuperSport! :glee:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Tell that to Rossi. It's hilarious how a lot of these threads end up with the same 4-5 guys yapping on about skill, when the original thread had nothing to do with it. You guys should start a "read what the the skilled guys who believe they are fast have to say" thread.

9. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    LMAO - NoVFRBoy just referred to the 8th gen on page 1 of this thread as a "mini leadwing" so I post a vid of an 8th gen competing with a Panigale on a track and now he's upset because the subject of riding skill rightfully comes up! :beguiled:

Here's an idea: why don't you start a thread entitled "Read what a disgruntled ex-VFR owner who believes he's an expert on everything has to say" :glee:

10. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    You could post a video about Rossi beating everyone on a push bike... what would that prove ? Zip....
    My only comments on this thread are to the point that the VFR is placed with 3 bikes that are nothing like it..
    its like comparing a pickup truck to an RV....! What is the point...

My old cbr600rr7 is cheaper, faster, more capable, greater range, more power, lighter, smaller, brakes better, handles better, will carry at least as much luggage. etc, etc, etc than the SS... should that have been in this inane test that proved absolutely nothing....

11. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    I understand your point Pete, but Smoke would probably be the first to admit that he is not Rossi and the Panigale pilots were not exactly beginners either. I think the vid proves what an extremely capable machine the VFR is.

12. 01ragtop

01ragtop Member

United States
    Map
    The VFR is an extremely versatile bike, but the manufacturers thrive/survive off of the fact that we can't all agree on what is the best bike. In turn, we benefit by virtue of the competition between makes and models.

Similarly, Internet forums exist, in part, for us to come together to argue the finer points of dissenting opinion as well as for some holier than thou types to share mostly useless, ignorant, and unwanted commentary about why the thread or contributions to the thread are ridiculous all while ironically believing their own typed out vomit is above reproach and not hypocritical in the least.

13. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Kudos on finding the right words to tell minigator he's full of shit. Well done!

14. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I think the current VFR is one of the best all around bikes going. I stopped by the dealer where I bought it (used) and couldn't find find anything else I would rather have. According to their web site, they have 143 new bikes* and 35 used bikes in stock. Not ONE VFR of any year or size!, yet I get comments all the time from strangers what a nice looking bike the VFR is. Go figure.

*Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Zero

15. 01ragtop

01ragtop Member

United States
    Map
    That wasn't the specific theme of the post, but...

Anyways, GG's posts rarely bother me. I could nitpick his attitude toward safety, but I'd get it back from someone who dislikes my riding style, so what's the point. He came to the VFR from a smaller less capable machine and he is happy with his choice. I'm happy he is happy.

When I still had mine, I came to the VFR from a faster more capable machine, and was pleasantly surprised by the VFR'S ability and perfectly happy with its versatility.

When I replaced the VFR, I didn't require the same versatility so I went a different direction. That doesn't mean I think the VFR is crap, it isn't. Some of its harshest critics are among the members here. Some have valid points, others are here just to stir things up, and haven't added meaningful or thoughtful content to this forum in years.

16. ksoholm

ksoholm New Member

United States
    Serious BLOL! Perfect, and well put.

17. smoke4ndmears

smoke4ndmears New Member

United States
    Map
    Terrorizing people in the I group is about the limit of the RC79, and that's about what my highest expectations were. Having not even ridden an SS I have no doubt it would be faster around a track -the brakes on the RC79 are mediocre and it's about as fast down the straight as an SV650. Still, for what it is... stoked! I rode to the track with my hard cases attached for this event like a proper sport tourist should!

18. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    LMAO - detach hard cases, pop bike off center stand, adjust heated grips, then terrorize intermediate riders on their Panigales - you are my hero Smoke! :glee: As I said in the other forum, from now on whenever anyone disparages the 8th gen as a fat pig, etc etc, I will just repost your vid and tell them to STFU :beguiled:

19. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    [​IMG]

20. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    are youu skipping you drugs again? Have some fun for god's sake.