'17 VFR v. '17 Ducati SuperSport S (MCN Comparo)

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by GatorGreg, Apr 26, 2017.

1. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Apologies for the self quote but found one sites testing indicated 46Mpg giving range of 190Miles or 300Kms....Not too shabby if true and line ball with my riding mates IL4 Superbikes.

" The bike’s onboard computer indicated 46 mpg during our street ride. If that was accurate, you can expect a 190-mile range from its 4.2-gallon fuel tank if you’re riding like you stole it. Ride it like you want to keep your license and you'll squeeze in a few more miles. It’s a respectable distance considering you're dealing with a high-performance twin. "

https://rideapart.com/articles/ride-2017-ducati-supersport-like

2. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Thanks John - that's nteresting. Ducati claims it uses 5.9 liters / 100 km. If my math is correct, that would get you only 271.19 km or 168.51 miles at 40.12 mpg.

Motorcycle.com's review says it only gets either 35.4 or 38.4 mpg (I assume one of the numbers is a misprint?). Using their 38.4 mpg figure yields a range of only 161.28 miles. Using their 35.4 mpg figure will get you 148.68 miles.
    http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/ducati/2017-ducati-supersport-review.html/amp

Regardless, the SuperSport rider will be constantly asking themselves: "Do I feel lucky? In all the excitement I don't know if my bike used 4 gallons or only 3" :glee:

[video=youtube;8Xjr2hnOHiM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xjr2hnOHiM[/video]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Audible

Audible New Member

Australia
    Map
    I think this comparison was one eyed right from the start, biased towards Sports only with no consideration towards Touring.

All they do in the video is carry on about cornering, power, track ability and performance. They put two sports tourers in the comparison, so where do they look at touring capability? I think I blinked and missed that part.

Sure, if we want to hit a track day, I think most of us here would pick either the Panigale or the Super sports. But what would you pick for a two up weekend on the open road with luggage? Yeah, those two Duc's will be left in the garage until Monday.

As for fuel consumption and range, well I get bang on 6l/100km's and then fill the tank with 18l of fuel after 300km's of commuting. That's stop/start with plenty of traffic lights and 50-60kmh speeds.
    On the open road at 100-110kmh the econometer reads 4.3-4.5l/100. I've yet to go full range on the open road, but 4.5l/100km's, 18 litres would give me a 400km range.
    Surely I'm not the only one getting similar range out of their 8th gens?

Difference between 16 and 21 litre tank is huge. Assume reserve is 3 litres in both tanks so usable capacity is 13 v 18 litres. That's nearly 40% more. I don't think anybody ever rides their bikes until empty so comparing usable fuel capacity carries more meaning.

4. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Unless you have to - & with a 16L tank on a SPORTS / TOURING bike you will be. lol

As I said my 10 year CBR600 is better in almost every situation (I believe) - BUT on the basis of sport touring the VFR makes life so much easier...

Which then means you will travel more miles & do more.
    I haven't yet found the size of the REALLY CRAPPY PANNIERS !! for the SS... anyone else find that strange - for a tourer !!

5. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    I haven't found the exact size but I did read on Ducati's website that they engineered the panniers to fit a Gucci man-purse on one side and a vanity mirror in the other :beguiled:

6. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    A Freudian slip by minigator? Tweezers anyone?

7. GatorGreg

United States
    Map

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  8. Badbilly

United States
    Mirror,mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?

Why of course you are my queen and the dude on the Panigale who bitched because he busted off his mirror doing a wheelie that surprised his ass.

In a technical sense, this would not phase most OEM stalk type mirrors on many VFRs. Going down on either bike (no pun intended or a fun thing) with the mirror or mirrors sticking oot like they do, the DUC mirror could well bust off. Using the same scenario as an example an OEM Honda mirror is built like a brick shipyard and will fold. In a fast guy low or high side or both sides, the Honda mirror might tear away part of the rather flimsy ABS plastic fairing.

Them Eyty boyz may have sompin going their to the point of having those DUC OEM mirrors whupped up at East Timor. Mebbe they needs to git some of them frame slider things or learn to doo wheelies from ar owned queen of the hop dude minigator. Current holder of the #1 plate in Subdivision GP.

9. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Rather surprising it could break so easy but crikey they only weigh 0.512kgs / 1.1lbs, wonder if they are made to break off in a crash and just how hard his "Hard landing" was after his wheelie slapping his Panigale on the ground, shame no youtube clip of his misadventure and if we might name the rider a tool.

10. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    I wonder if the Ducati guys ever spent the better part of a day changing a $37 thermostat?

I wonder if their ambient air temp guage actually works?

I wonder if their cheap, soft steel exhaust ever rusted?

Why does the VFR make only 53 ft lbs of torque to the SS's 65?

Why does the Honda weigh 70 pounds more?

Nothing is perfect.

11. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    Yawn - this thread is getting boring - could use some music to liven it up :glee: Who can guess why Sniper's post above made me think of this song? There are two reasons :beguiled:

[video=youtube;9SOryJvTAGs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SOryJvTAGs[/video]

12. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Tin roof, rusted...

13. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    Yes! :glee: Very good OOTV! Can anyone get the 2nd reason?

Edit: 2nd reason - the complaint about he VFR's weight reminded me of these lyrics:

I got me a Honda - it weighs 520 - so hurry up and bring your jukebox money!
    Hop on my Honda - it's as big as a whale - and it's about to set sail! :beguiled:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  14. Badbilly

United States
    Last night whilst cruisin the news aboot who great leader is gonna nuke next, I'm watching for SNL, Mahr, Meyers, ect. for more substance than comes oot of the White A Lago or the mouth of the trumpeters brass section and what do I see. Tiny Reindeer? Fuck no.. minigator loading up more long and boring vids of Greg at the gym, Greg at McDonalds, Greg and some dude who has the handle of VFR Ernie or some such, Greg at the salad bar, Greg and his arms, Greg and how he gets hookers to sit on his bike for pix, Greg and his views on Ducati, and more to come.

I am reminded of a trip to the Isle of Man one year. One of my fellow clubmembers had a real thing for Joey Dunlop that was way above being just a fan. Dunlop even got upset when this mutt in my club was nicking bar coasters. Dunlop said, " Does the mon never stop?"

If anyone sees minigator seeking a gilly suit and running ads for through the bedroom windows vids, please share.

15. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    What style of gilly suit? I prefer a high plains grass motif.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  16. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    [video=youtube;Qw9oX-kZ_9k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k[/video]

17. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map

Gilly suit.

18. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
  19. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    LMAO - thanks for posting that Gator - now I get it! Looks like PyschoBB is STILL obsessed with me even though he's on my ignore list :beguiled: Judging from that pychobabble of his that you quoted it would appear he's been spending all of his free time on my YT channel - further proof of his insanity :glee:

20. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    Very nice! But they should have priced it at $187K instead of $87K, that way the owners could look down their noses at the RC213V-S owners for riding a cheap Honda that costs ONLY $184K :beguiled: