'17 VFR v. '17 Ducati SuperSport S (MCN Comparo)

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by GatorGreg, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    The Suzuki GSX-S1000F came out in '16, so I am not sure how it's been a fave for years. Are you thinking about the R, possibly? The S is sort of a modern Bandit. Handlebar, fairing, or not (l like the fairing model) 475 pounds, 140+ HP. I tried to post a pic to no avail.

Kso, the same as thing can be said of the gen 8, which l think is a step backwards.

I may keep the old '01 for a while, because the old Hondas are cool, just for what they were in their day. My newest bike, the 08, 990 Super Duke will be 10 years old soon. I'll keep it too, but it's time for simething new.

2. rebs

rebs New Member

United States
    I agree. The VFR is hardly head and shoulders above the other bikes anymore as other manufacturers have gone in different directions and have done well with their designs. The VFR does have a specific niche of sporty sport tourer now invaded by the new Ducati SS. I hope this category gets actually revived. I'd LOVE to see a sport tourer made on the Street Triple platform. I don't like big heavy bikes and some of the ones listed above are rather big. The Tuono or the S1000R would make good sport touring platforms also if they would make them.

The fact that I'm bored on my VFR says a lot about my interest in the Duc, despite it's vibrations.

3. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    He was obviously referring to the VFR you big dummy :D

4. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    Ducati could use this song for the SuperSport's ad campaign :D

5. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    The Interceptor song would be the old polka, "You can have her, l dont want her, she's too fat for me".

6. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    LOL - yes the VFR does pack a few extra pounds but a little extra weight can have some benefits - here's a better song for the VFR :D

7. Thomas Gessner

Thomas Gessner New Member

Germany
    Map
    I gues that nails what the VFR is all about ... and why it will never win any comparisons: Balance is just not a review criterium. Th fact that the VFR does nothing bad, many things really well and some things great makes it a VFR, but it also will make it look inferior to bikes that have strenghts in one particular area. For me, waht the VFR experience boils down to is: It is a love affair that might begin somewhat lukewarm but gets stronger over time.

8. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Oi when it comes to VFRs "old" is a meaningless term, my '99 with 60K mostly for fun miles on distant twisties I've put on since '05 still feels like a new bike, in the time I've owned it all my Superbike riding mates in that time have updated their machines 3 to 4 times, funny thing on the road the guys faster than me are still faster and the ones not still aren’t.

Lint likes this.
  9. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I've ridden both the '17 Tuono RR and Factory. Oh my God! They are nice. Sudden power and brakes. Great suspension, even on the RR. The Ohlïns is really only noticeable when you push it hard in turns. No fuel guage tho, but it has cruise control!

10. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Never ceases to amaze me how many VFR owners buy a VFR, get on a VFR forum, then complain about them, compare them to "better" bikes (in some minds) but how few owners really are capable of using everything the VFR has for power and handling. Put one in tight, technical twisties with good tires and I've seen how many skilled VFR riders there are out there. In spite of how horrible a machine a VFR is, a lot of people sure do like and ride them well on challenging roads and tracks. I doubt most owners really can though. There actually are a few VFR hooligans......

duccmann, Diving Pete and rebs like this.
  11. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I actually bought my 5 Gen to use as a "play bike". Yes, there are other bikes out there that can out Horse power, out brake and even out perform it, but I love my 01 for what I bought it for. So much in fact, that after I low sided it and it was deemed totaled by my insurance company, I bought it back so I rebuild it just to have fun on again. I won't say I'm a hooligan but I have no problems keeping up with other hooligans most of the time.

01ragtop and Samuel like this.
  12. thtanner

thtanner New Member

United States
    Map
    You, sir, have called yourself out. ;)

Samuel likes this.
  13. rebs

rebs New Member

United States
    Actually it's funny because you'll get that in nearly every forum except the die hard sport bike forums where the discussion veers more towards clip ons, rear sets, power maps, tires, etc. The VFR being a jack of all trades is by nature master of none. In the F800GT forum we ran into the same thing, with the F800GT being also a jack of all trades type of bike.

No, the VFR is NOT my S1000RR but it can hold bags, it can tour, it's a bit more upright and not quite as loud or warm to ride. The power is more street accessible, the engine is smooth as silk and growls nicely in the upper registers, it handles well for a heavy bike, tracking nicely through corners, but the tires suck. With about maybe 1/2" of chicken strips on them they slip at that lean angle. I put the 190 Bridgestone Battleaxes from my S1000RR (track take offs) and I can lean her all the way down to the same spot with nary a slip while accelerating through the corner. Overall, despite some of our complaints it is a very nice bike to live with, so nice that the Ducati SS is essentially the same concept (seating position is nearly identical) with some better tweaks but a MUCH more vibration prone engine.

14. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    Rebs! If possible, please post pics of your 8th gen with the 190 on the back. Have you noticed any ill effects on the ABS/Traction Control, speedo, auto turn signal cancellation, gear indicator, etc? I ask because the 190/55-17 is slightly taller than the OEM 180/55-17 with a radius of 12.6" v. 12.4" according to the handy Miata tire size calculator website: https://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

I'd be surprised if that tiny bit of a difference would matter and I bet it looks awesome with a 190! I assume you're using 190/55 and not 190/50? I'd apologize for hijacking this thread but this is MY thread so I think that gives me the right :D

15. thtanner

thtanner New Member

United States
    Map
    I am having no issues with losing traction, even with the stock D222 rear. Has felt planted in every corner. No chicken strips left!

16. rebs

rebs New Member

United States
    I'm not riding today but when I get a chance I will. It's a tight fit and I'll let you know more after this weekend at the track. The real trick is will it rub on the chain guard (where the closest tolerance is) when I drop the pressure to 30psi and the tire gets hot and expands, but I think we'll be ok.

So far in exuberant road riding the ABS/TC (which I turn off half the time) seem to work just fine, although I suspect the speedometer is a bit off because of the slightly larger circumference of the 190's. The gear indicator, turn signals, etc do not seem to be affected. Turn in is surprisingly unaffected probably because the Battleaxe has a slightly more triangular profile than the OEM Dunlops so once you turn in you drop into the turn but the grippy outer 1/3 of the dual compound tires is MUCH better at tolerating a spirited acceleration out of a corner than the OEM tires. Upright and cruising they feel the same, because of the firmer center compound. I did have problems with the OEM Dunlops and perhaps it was my riding style or whatnot, or perhaps our roads, but I did not like them. The addition of the sport tires was very welcome. When these wear out I have a set of Power 2ct's that are 180's I can throw on and I'll have more info for you then.

Regarding chicken strips, when I look at the racing tires from the track many racers try to maintain a little chicken strip as an emergency zone. I do the same on the road. I probably ride 60-70% capacity max on the road because I do not trust Illinois roads. Even on my track bike there are some small chicken strips even with me dragging knee through most corners at high Intermediate class speeds.

GatorGreg likes this.
  17. rebs

rebs New Member

United States
    Like I said elsewhere I do not trust our local roads and ride maybe 60-70% ability here. Out there your roads are nicer and the pavement is hotter. I've leaned even a Triumph Bonneville to max out in California because the tires were nice and hot and sticky.

When it's hot here the Dunlops do not slip as much but here they are hard enough to warm that even in the summer they're annoying. I love the sport tires much more!

18. thtanner

thtanner New Member

United States
    Map
    I am debating going pure sport tire, or ST tire, next round. The Dunflops do suck, don't get me wrong. I would never buy them willingly.

Maybe Q3s. PP3 F/PR4 R combo/T30 EVOs

So many choices!

19. rebs

rebs New Member

United States
    On Revzilla there are lots of reviews of all of them. I'm personally partial to the Metzler Roadtech 8 which is what I had on the F800GT. There's a new version out also.

The only reason I have the Bridgestone on is because they were take offs from my other bike.

Since the VFR is a road bike I'll likely stay with some dual compound so I don't flat spot my tires during highway riding. My Michelin EVO Cup rears and supersport EVO fronts are for sale after about 9-10 track days.

20. 01ragtop

01ragtop Member

United States
    Map
    Skip the PP3. If you're going to run Michelin, go with the Power RS. Soooo much better than the PP3.

OOTV likes this.