1983 VF750F paint codes

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by ktmb, Oct 4, 2020.

1. ktmb

ktmb New Member

United States
    Map
    Hello, I'm restoring an '83 VF750F and am searching for the paint codes and names for the white used on the tank and body parts, and for the silver used on the frame.
    ColorRite shows NH138 Shasta White and NH193P Pearl Crystal White for this bike, while the Honda parts fiche indicates NH121PA Pearl White (which ColorRite does not carry). I see no listing for the silver frame color.
    Can anyone provide the factory original majority paint codes and perhaps a good source for touch-up and pints of paint? Thanks!

2. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Hey ktmb, You may have a hard time finding a paint code that will translate in to a formula you can get mixed at the paint supply shop. As far as I know the Honda codes (NH121PA for example) are not really "codes" they're paint numbers and the Auto paint suppliers cannot cross reference them to current paint mixing formula's. If ColourRite doesnt have it, your best bet is to take your body panels in to get optically scanned at an Auto Paint supply shop, unless anyone here has a current code and formula form their own restoration.

I have codes and formulas for White, Red and Blue that correspond to Shasta White, Fighting Red and Candy Aleutian Blue on the VF1000R and NS400R

I also have a Silver for the Honda VF1000R Frame's too if you want that but its based of a colour swatch from a book matched against the frame. (frame sections are typically too small to optimally scan)

3. cknight

cknight New Member

United States
    Map
    For my (original owner) 1983 VF750F, a few years ago I obtained from ColorRite, their part number NH104MU for the frame. They also had an SKU number, 2015, on the can. It matched perfectly to the original color, especially the metallic content. Regards, Chase

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  4. mikemo

mikemo New Member

United States
    Map
    Straycat, I'd love to know the codes and formulas for those three colors. If I paint my bike back to stock, those are exactly what I would need. I've been to a automotive paint supplier before, looking for a Kawasaki color. They giggled and handed me a giant book of color swatches and said "find it in here". They had absolutely no information on motorcycle colors.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  5. ktmb

ktmb New Member

United States
    Map
    Thank you, Straycat and cknight. I'll check with Colorite about the NH104MU frame paint.
    Straycat, I'd appreciate you posting your codes/formulas for the white. I'll also take some parts to the paint store for color scanning. I've found that to be a good starting point (assuming they can scan a large flat area) for colors I've had mixed for an OSSA 175 Stiletto and Moto Guzzi I restored previously. Comparing color swatches in outdoor light is also very helpful, though tedious. Nothing beats a skilled color mixer but few shops are willing to spend the time for small quantities of paint....unless you show up with some home-baked cookies :)
    Thanks again, guys. I'm sure I'll be posting more questions as I progress with the restoration.

6. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Ok, will see if I can get to it tomorrow

7. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map