1984 Interceptor in Vermont

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by ferrarone, Mar 18, 2010.

1. P_easy

P_easy New Member

Dang man I Just spent a looooonnnggg time reading this whole thread through. NICE WORK!!! The VF500F you saw on UVM campus was probably mine. I wish I had visited VFRW a bit more often so I could have seen this. I just sorted through a few of the carb issues (reworking after wrecking) you're dealing with and literally just got them sorted a week ago. Its a great feeling although shes still a little testy with the temperature. Good Luck, seems like you're nearing the end

-P

2. Mobtown

Mobtown New Member

United States
    Map
    Outstanding work ferrarone!

3. invisible cities

invisible cities New Member

United States
    Map
    The Factory Manual ('84 version) notes a resistance of 315-385 ohms - test to be performed when the engine is cold.

No spec is given for when the engine is warm...

4. blitzas

blitzas New Member

There shouldn't be any change when warm unless there is an internal short of wire layers.

5. ferrarone

ferrarone New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey P_easy, what a small world we live in - nice bike you've got there! What happened to you and your bike? Glad to hear you got the carb back together, do you think the temperature issues are just carb related? I've tested out everything electrical except the stator (but the bike does charge) and can't find the problem still.

Thanks!

6. ferrarone

ferrarone New Member

United States
    Map
    I don't have a clue as to what's going on with it anymore. I've been riding it around the last two days and its gotten a lot better, but still seems to suffer when the radiator fan comes on, or when I come to a stop when warm, but not as often as it used to (which was every time). I've been pouring b-12 chem into it with fuel. I suspect that while I did a great cleaning job on the carb, some new dirt bits might have made their way into it after putting on a different fuel tank. I'll give it another 50 miles before I try anything new. Maybe it just needs the cobwebs run out of it.

7. ferrarone

ferrarone New Member

United States
    Map
    Discovered a crack in the hose to the air boost bottle. Will replace and see if that improves the idle isssue. I also suspect that I tightened the valves too much, causing it to stall when warmed up.

8. Michael E

Michael E New Member

Map
    Air boost bootle? Which valves did you tighten too tight?

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Kudos for your perseverance!

9. ferrarone

ferrarone New Member

United States
    Map
    I've only got the name I've found researching online. The "boost bottle" is part #18 on:

1985 Honda VF500F INTERCEPTOR OEM Parts, 1985 Honda VF500F INTERCEPTOR OEM Motorcycle Parts - BikeBandit.com

And the hose I discovered cracked was part #19.

I'm not sure which valves I tightened too much, but google searching has pointed toward tight valves being the reason for hard starting and poor warm idle, after everything else has been ruled out.

10. Michael E

Michael E New Member

Map
    It seems funny to label anything related to emmission controls with the word "boost".

That system basically takes engine blowby from the crankcase and gases from the heads and reintroduces them into the airbox. Theoretically these gases contain unburned fuel and the system provides an opportunity to make use of this waste, at least as I understand it.

I do not believe that this cracked hose can impact performance other than perhaps allowing dirt into the system if it is a large enough crack. Since these gases enter the airbox after the filter they are not filtered and could maybe get into the carb. However, it would likely just get sucked through I would think. It wouldn't be like dirt in the fuel that can cause all kinds of trouble if it gets to the float bowels.

Regarding the valves, I wonder if what you found may be refering to having valve clearences set too "tight"?

Sorry for the think out loud, rambling post.

11. ferrarone

ferrarone New Member

United States
    Map
    Well I adjusted the valves again and the bike rode great! I drove it for 2 hours and then parked it in my garage. I came back from a trip to the Twin Cities and found the bike exactly where I had left it, untouched. Now it shoots the idle up to 4500 rpm as soon as it starts and I can't get it to calm down. Acts as if the throttle cable is stuck, but it isn't. I removed the dreaded carbs and have the bike set to check the valves once it cools sometime tomorrow. I'm going to replace the "master" carb with another I have, adjust the valves, and will most likely be back in business.

I'm also going to look at a 1999 Kawasaki ZX9R tomorrow. It's black (with ugly green rims) has 16k miles, and needs a rear tire. They are asking $1,500 which I think is a steal, and I'm going to try and bring them down at least the cost of the tire + installation.

I love the VF500F. The way it looks (I prefer my all black one), and feels is GREAT. The moment I went for my first ride I knew I loved it, but I also knew that it wasn't nearly enough power for me, especially at highway speeds. We'll see how it goes tomorrow though.

12. Michael E

Michael E New Member

Map
    I don't understand how your valve clearances would keep getting messed up. If it ran well one day and not the next time you started it I don't think that it's a problem with the valves.

The C2 ZX9 is an awesome bike. I looked hard at that year and model for many months. It is all day long comfortable, handles well and has a great motor. It represents about the last sportbike that was built as much for the street as it was for the track. Problem became that the mags put too much damn weight on track performance and people bought accordingly. As a result the ZX9 and the 10 became race-replicas like the other manufacturers which sucks because 99% do our riding on the street not the track! Anyway, that is a great bike and that price is reasonable. They go for a lot more than that up here! I prefer the green though. Reminds me of my mx days. Keep us posted.

13. ferrarone

ferrarone New Member

United States
    Map
    I think the problem is in the carbs, but I thought I might as well give them a final look to make sure none of the valves had wandered out of adjustment if I've got them off the bike. More posts to come.

14. ferrarone

ferrarone New Member

United States
    Map
    I agreed to buy the ZX9R, and should be picking it up tomorrow at 6:30pm.

15. Michael E

Michael E New Member

Map
    Congrats! Let us know how it rides. You will need a whole new level of right hand discipline. You can get into a lot of trouble quickly if your throttle control isn't there. I'm not saying yours isn't. It's just that it's nothing like the 500!

16. 85vf1000r

85vf1000r New Member

Congrats on the new acquisition! I made a similar move going from my '85 VF1000R to my '03 GSX-R 1000 and let me second Michael E's sentiments....the modern bikes are a whole different ball of wax!

Keep your VF though...I wish I had the time, space, and money to be able to keep mine. Hopefully I'll get another one someday though!

Keep plugging away at the 500, you've come a LONG way with it, very impressive!!

-Paul

17. ferrarone

ferrarone New Member

United States
    Map
    I've been riding the zx9r and it's a lot of fun. The carbs are clogged from the previous owner, I'm sure the valve clearances are off, and its slow jets run like shit, but it is SO much fun. It's like other cars are standing still on the highway. I plan on getting that back in good shape asap. Pictures/video is coming; my digital camera finally broke on me after 5 years of ownership and 40+ rugby games.

The VF500FF:

I took that bastard carb off again yesterday. I replaced the "main" carb because I could not get the other three to adjust to the main carbs flow (the main carb is not adjustable). Completely disassembled all of the carbs, put each body in cleaner, and put it back together again. They cannot get cleaner than they are now. Ever action slides perfectly, it is perfect. I rechecked the valve clearances again, and slightly adjusted 1 exhaust valve. I found a new, new and improved way on getting the carbs on and it took me less than 5 minutes, and no swearing. I plopped the front two carbs into their boots, tightened them in, placed 3 flathead screwdrivers in each of the back carb boots to act as shoe horns, and two ratchet straps strategically placed. I just clicked them right in. It took me longer to align the straps than to get them in.

Anyways I put it all back together and left it for today before starting. I woke up nice and late, turned the key, and killed the battery trying to get fuel to the carb. Plugged a battery charger to it and it started right up. The bike is so extremely smooth, and it sounds like a sewing machine. It is a whole new motorcycle. It's quiet, and accelerates smoothly through the entire range. I "synced" the carbs off of the bike by eye, and have not yet done so on the bike, but I can't imagine it getting much better. Riding the 500 is like gliding down the road.

18. Michael E

Michael E New Member

Map
    Congrats! Great news.

Re. the ZX9. The C2 and others had notorious carb issues that you can read all over the web. It seems that a common fix is to richen the needle by raising it with a washer. Jet kits are also very popular for this bike.

I don't want to be preachy, but go easy on the bike until you get a lot more riding experience. If you haven't already, take an "experienced rider" training course and remember that one of the key factors in motorcycle accidents isn't speed, but speed differential between the bike and cars: Go with the flow. Have fun!

19. invisible cities

invisible cities New Member

United States
    Map
    Good news on the VF500F.

The 500's engine, when dialed in, is a thing of beauty. It is nice to hear you have brought one back to life.

+1 on Michael E’s comment on attending a motorcycle safety course. It is well worth it.

Ride safe and keep up the great work!

20. ferrarone

ferrarone New Member

United States
    Map
    Update w/ Video

Bike starts, runs, and drives fantastic. It's a really great bike and a lot of fun to be on. Here's some images and video of the 500. It was a cold engine on a very cold day, so it took a while before I could take the choke off. Enjoy!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

VIDEO: YouTube - VF500F - Rebuild & Tune Complete

Here is the ZX9R I'm currently working on. It was a mess, so I took everything off the frame but the swing arm and the forks. Just got the engine back in and am going to sync the carbs tonight, if it doesn't get too cold to work in the garage that is. It still needs some work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Video 1: YouTube - 1999 ZX9R Rebuild in Progress
    Video 2: (warmed up) YouTube - Continuation of ZX9R