1984 VF750F Freshen Up

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by A.J.B., Jan 1, 2019.

1. A.J.B.

A.J.B. New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey guys, well...I went and did something I've been wanting to do for awhile so I found a guy locally that was selling an Interceptor and some spares. I'm working on restoring my CB900F but want to get back out riding so the Interceptor will just be a quick refresh (hopefully) and then once the 900 is done, it'll be the 750's turn.

So, here's what I nabbed:

[​IMG]

1984 750F with around 64,000km - pretty much original as far as I can tell but the engine has a clatter and the forks are leaking.....brand new tires though so....win?

Anyways, picked up a whole mess of parts as well, an '83 frame and motor, and a reasonably complete second '84 with around 33,000km on the clock, plus a bunch of extra bodywork, Hindle 4-1 pipe and header, etc etc etc.

The fun begins!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Viffer J and RllwJoe like this.
  2. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Member

United States
    Map
    Wow! When you jump into the VF world, you jump with abandon and fill the garage!

The Vf 750's are known to suffer from under-lubricated cams ("chocolate cam").
    That would be the first suspect regarding your "clatter".

Welcome to the most supportive forum on the web.
    When you get a chance, hop over to the Introductions postings and tell us more about your motoring background.

3. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Better quit your day job, you have too much work at home ! :Eyebrows:

4. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Well you should be able to get at least one more good bike out of that lot. The 84 looks very nice already. Pity about the clatter, but diagnosing the faults on these bikes is half the fun of owning them.

5. A.J.B.

A.J.B. New Member

Canada
    Map
    So it's been a busy week and a half with getting back to work, family and other commitments but I've gotten the the back end of the bike pulled apart, disassembled, cleaned, replaced what needs replacing and reassembled the tail light, turn signals and rear fender. I've also pulled all the guts out of the frame (electrical bits, vent tanks, hoses, shock etc) and am going to pull the rear wheel and clean up the rest of the swinger and the frame so it can go back together. Working in an unheated garage at it's pretty damn cold here the last few days so won't be getting much done till next next week when it warms up a bit.

Cheers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS: inherited this 4 - 1 Hindle, anyone have any experience with this setup? Worth throwing on when the bike is back together?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. A.J.B.

A.J.B. New Member

Canada
    Map
    Got a bit more teardown done tonight. Pulled the rear sets off, pulled the rear wheel and all the chain sliders, pulled the side stand and centre stand and lastly, yanked the swingers linkage off. All that's left in the back-end now is a bare swinger. Going to degrease and clean everything up so it can start going back together hopefully soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. straycat

straycat New Member

Canada
    Looking good !! I have a similar Hindle 4-1 for my VF1000R, but in all Stainless & Aluminum, it was on a Race Bike. Its going on my project VF1000R bike