1984 VF750F Freshen Up

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by A.J.B., Jan 1, 2019.

1. A.J.B.

A.J.B. New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey guys, well...I went and did something I've been wanting to do for awhile so I found a guy locally that was selling an Interceptor and some spares. I'm working on restoring my CB900F but want to get back out riding so the Interceptor will just be a quick refresh (hopefully) and then once the 900 is done, it'll be the 750's turn.

So, here's what I nabbed:

[​IMG]

1984 750F with around 64,000km - pretty much original as far as I can tell but the engine has a clatter and the forks are leaking.....brand new tires though so....win?

Anyways, picked up a whole mess of parts as well, an '83 frame and motor, and a reasonably complete second '84 with around 33,000km on the clock, plus a bunch of extra bodywork, Hindle 4-1 pipe and header, etc etc etc.

The fun begins!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Viffer J and RllwJoe like this.
  2. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Wow! When you jump into the VF world, you jump with abandon and fill the garage!

The Vf 750's are known to suffer from under-lubricated cams ("chocolate cam").
    That would be the first suspect regarding your "clatter".

Welcome to the most supportive forum on the web.
    When you get a chance, hop over to the Introductions postings and tell us more about your motoring background.

3. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Better quit your day job, you have too much work at home ! :Eyebrows:

4. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Well you should be able to get at least one more good bike out of that lot. The 84 looks very nice already. Pity about the clatter, but diagnosing the faults on these bikes is half the fun of owning them.

5. A.J.B.

A.J.B. New Member

Canada
    Map
    So it's been a busy week and a half with getting back to work, family and other commitments but I've gotten the the back end of the bike pulled apart, disassembled, cleaned, replaced what needs replacing and reassembled the tail light, turn signals and rear fender. I've also pulled all the guts out of the frame (electrical bits, vent tanks, hoses, shock etc) and am going to pull the rear wheel and clean up the rest of the swinger and the frame so it can go back together. Working in an unheated garage at it's pretty damn cold here the last few days so won't be getting much done till next next week when it warms up a bit.

Cheers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS: inherited this 4 - 1 Hindle, anyone have any experience with this setup? Worth throwing on when the bike is back together?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. A.J.B.

A.J.B. New Member

Canada
    Map
    Got a bit more teardown done tonight. Pulled the rear sets off, pulled the rear wheel and all the chain sliders, pulled the side stand and centre stand and lastly, yanked the swingers linkage off. All that's left in the back-end now is a bare swinger. Going to degrease and clean everything up so it can start going back together hopefully soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Looking good !! I have a similar Hindle 4-1 for my VF1000R, but in all Stainless & Aluminum, it was on a Race Bike. Its going on my project VF1000R bike

A.J.B. likes this.
  8. rockoracing

rockoracing New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm looking to purchase a rear shock for my 1983 VFR. Does anyone have any recommendations to where I can find one?

9. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
  10. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    a really thorough job would have you removing the swing arm to check/grease the bearings.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  11. A.J.B.

A.J.B. New Member

Canada
    Map
    I was toying with whether or not to go so far as to pull the swingarm and curiosity (or anal retentiveness) got the better of me and off it came last week. It's been really friggin' cold here lately (down to -27 C/-16 F at night) and with an unheated garage - as much as I enjoy wrenching......it's not happening at those temps so haven't gotten much done lately ;)

So - here's the back half of the frame at least all cleaned up, once it warms up later this week I'll hit the rest of the frame, clean the swinger up, grease the bearings and throw it back in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers!

12. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Good Progress !!. Its times like this im glad I put heat in my garage 2 years ago. We hit -34C this past weekend (thats without wind-chill factor, with wind-chill it was -44C). Nice to have heat but not always cheap to install and run unfortunately.

13. A.J.B.

A.J.B. New Member

Canada
    Map
    Alrighty, been a busy couple of months between work and family but managed to find some time over the last bit to get some wrenching in.

Cleaned the swingarm up, greased the bearings and remounted everything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tore down the shock linkage, cleaned and repacked all the bearings then reassembled it all.

[​IMG]

Cleaned up the CBR shock, fabbed up some bushings, lubed and installed back into the frame.

[​IMG]

Cleaned up and hung the centre stand and side stand somewhere in between everything else.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Figured now would be a good a time as any to slap the rear fender, tail light and turn signals back on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New sprocket came in so cleaned up the carrier, mounted the sprocket and cleaned up the wheel, checked the bearings, greased and installed everything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Missing some pictures but as always, more to follow!

14. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Looking great! Good job!! Cleaning the grime is terrible but always worth it. Shows attention to detail and makes working on it in the future just nicer.

15. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Nice work on the scrubbin'. It's amazing what ya find when you pull back the curtain so you can actually see everything. Gonna be following along to watch your progress.

16. A.J.B.

A.J.B. New Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks fellas, not the dirtiest bike I've worked on but definitely not the cleanest either - 30+ years of dirt, oil, chain lube and brake dust really covers up a gorgeous bike even if it needs paint. My goal this go around was just to clean it up, replace what needs replacing and get it on the road so I could enjoy it, full restoration in a few years once my 900F resto is all done.

Anyways, here's the latest:

Hung the rear wheel to trick myself into thinking the bike was more complete than it is....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tore the rearsets down, cleaned everything up and lubed everything as it went back together. Had to replace the shifter boots as they were torn and I swapped out the foot peg rubbers with nicer used ones from the parts bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Haven't mounted the rear brake bits yet so the right side is loose installed (more mind-trickery)

Tore into the rear master and the rear caliper to clean them up and rebuild them as they were NASTY. Master came apart okay enough but I can't get the pistons out of the caliper. Plan tomorrow is to pump brake fluid or grease in and see if that pushes them out but I have a spare caliper just in case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Nice work. You will be done before you know it. Sometimes, just a cleaning, can make all the difference in the world.

18. A.J.B.

A.J.B. New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey everyone,

It's been a few months of not much work on the bike due to work commitments but I'm finally back at it so figured I'd catch everyone up on what progress has been made.

I tore the electrical and the fuel pump panel out and cleaned everything up and reassembled both sides. PO had a different/hacked together starter relay so I cut the bad terminations off and soldered/heat shrunk an OEM plug and an OEM relay in it's place. Fuel lines were all cracked so they're getting replaced as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the rear cowling and grab bars reinstalled.

[​IMG]

Battery box in it's place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lastly, tore the instruments apart and replaced the burned out bulbs. The rear case half was completely trashed and glued back together so I raided the parts bike and replaced it so it's good as new.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and I finally got to cleaning my rear master cylinder bits and fuel tank bits up, just waiting on parts to rebuild the master.

[​IMG]

19. A.J.B.

A.J.B. New Member

Canada
    Map
    K well, last post on this was regretfully almost a year ago and naturally, much has happened.

The bike is completed, on the road and survived a week of local riding then a 1,600km trip around Georgian Bay last week without any alarming issues such as blowing up or catching fire so, needless to say, I'm EXTREMELY happy!

Here's a brief update from last year more-or-less:

Picked up a good parts bike with a 15,000km motor, tabbed up some brackets and threw it on an engine stand to have a closer look at it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seems promising so far...

[​IMG]

Good leak down numbers, was the same across all four with good cold compressions

Opened her up, nice and clean inside

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All cleaned up, new gaskets for the covers and she was sealed right up and ready to hang

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. A.J.B.

A.J.B. New Member

Canada
    Map
    Aaaaaaaand she's in.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Onto the carbs, tore them down, gave them a full clean and full rebuild on all four, made a HUGE difference in how the bike ran before vs now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bench sync and a leak check and ready to install in the bike

[​IMG]

Test run, fired right up and idled nice and smooth but had some issues I mentioned in another post that was resolved after some head scratching.

[​IMG]

All done and ready to ride!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RllwJoe likes this.