1985 VF1000R Restoration #2

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by straycat, May 30, 2020.

1. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    On another note, I ran the VF1000R today for the first time in 2 yrs (since I picked it up). I believe I need new valve seals, she smoked like a chimney when I first started it and then cleared up as she warmed up.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Well, fuck. I think a big problem with most coating operations is that they are doing a lot of shit that really doesn't matter. Trailers, industrial equipment, etc.

I think we now have a few coaters around here that specialize in rods/customs. Doesn't matter now, I'm so fucking done with all of them. I just need to find a good blaster close to me.

And I'm pretty sure PC can be removed with a bake off procedure. Then a quick blasting.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  3. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    I dont now about the bake-off, he made it sound like a 3 hour blasting job and too much work. but I wont be going back there anytime soon if I can help it. I may dig out my old blaster or buy a bigger one if need be in the future. Ill make sure everyone I talk to knows it too.

4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    That's how they removed the PC from my calipers. I have a decent size blast cabinet, but not big enough for frames. A wheel is doable but not fun. With large items I would prefer to let the pros handle it.

5. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    So I ran the VF1000R again today, to see if I got any smoke on start up (I ran it for a good 15 minutes yesterday, smoke cleared in about 2-3 minutes).

Today , zero smoke on start up.

So now im wondering is it really valve seals ?

What would cause it to smoke after sitting 2 years , but not smoke the next day after being run until it was good and hot ? Id always believed that if it was valve seals id see that every day on cold start up.

thoughts ?

Sticky rings that got free'd up after a good heat cycle ?

6. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Sounds plausible, it needs run time. To verify at some point, have someone follow you... if no general blue smoke then rings may be fine. If you accelerate hard and roll off to a stop, then accelerate again, if blue smoke, that would be oil getting past oil seals during the high vacuum on decel. Of course one has to judge all that and what to do (maybe nothing) based on oil consumption, and I'd guess it's likely very small.

7. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Got it, thanks raY

8. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    There's a couple of my bikes that can go a couple years between usage, and they can do that a little too. Doesn't continue, friends don't mention smoke, doesn't happen on the next start-up and they use zero oil (or at least that I can measure or notice). I don't think I see the amount you first described, but I wouldn't sweat it right now.

9. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    To take it to another level, I really don't like pulling heads or tearing down engines unless I have to. Throwback to the old days of cast iron heads on cars, and they never seem to run the same after... unless you go all out, honing or rebore, new rings and bearings, head shaved straight, etc. $$$ add up if you go there, but I'll investigate and monitor before going there.
    Chuckle, an FJR guy just thought since he saw some smoke that he'd tear down the whole engine, wants to hone the cylinders, new rings, was asking if he should replace the crank/rod bearings...... he jumped the gun... cylinders are Nikasil coated, can't hone, now he's got himself in a pickle.. if he had known that in advance I'd have told him do not tear that thing down... he's likely got oil seal/valve guide issue that affected that particular year and the one before it..... but, he's a mechanic, didn't ask ahead of time..... this will cost him.
    If you guys need to know anything about FJR's lemme know. As for VFR's I'm listening and learning, you guys know more than me about them, I'm just getting started.

10. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Roger that fellas, im gonna leave her be more than likely. Im going to let her sit a few days and fire her up again, if all clear, she can stay buttoned up.

I was a bit bored today, so I decided to see if the shitty end caps ( see pics above) on my VF1000R pipes couple be made to look better. Problem is I need 2 sets of mufflers and I only have one other OEM set (im not dingin the Hindle 4 into 1, so want to go OEMon the other bike too).

I just painted them black. They look better than they did but theyre not going to satisfy my needs. I need to find another set.

IMG_9615.jpg IMG_2458.jpg

11. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I know those won't ultimately do, but if you spent some time putting a radius on the edges and blended out the grind marks, they would look less home made and fairly decent for the time being. And swap out the phillips for some countersunk allen.

12. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    yea and maybe chop that teapot spout a bit shorter too.

13. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Yep. And possibly less of an angle, perhaps even straight. The mufflers don't seem to have enough upward angle to warrant that much a bevel.

14. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Agree.

15. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    I made the decision that I will also be Re-Framing the bike. Since im having the painted frame stripped and professionally painted, ill be happier with a new frame and a clean title.

16. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Update... Left the VF1000R a few days and fired it up again today....no smoke, not a trace.

As such im leaving the engine alone. (32,000 km on it)

Have my painter lined up for one for the frames, just need the frames back from the PC/Blaster now...hate it when other people have my stuff...im not patient with that sort of thing.

17. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
  18. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Im learning slowly that there is no point rushing these things, one step at a time. and it will save me time and money later on to do the right leg work up front.

Oh and on a totally unrelated topic, who else here LOVES the click bait pictures at the bottom of these pages ? my oh my there are some hotties in those pics. makes me wanna buy my wife a bikini or a power washer for me. LOL

I will admit to clicking on the "is the interceptor a crotch rocket?" thread teaser more than once (probably more than 10x). LOL.

19. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    I turned my adblocker off on this site after I ran into this one on my phone back in March, lmao.

It's so ridiculous it's hilarious. They're great.

Attached Files:

20. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    I got both my frames back from being blasted. ($100 for the pair).

Dropped them off at my painter so I should have them back by Monday. the restoration bike will get a new frame after all.

I also got the exhaust system off yesterday with not issues, so thats good. I can start stripping the rest of the bike now.