1985 VF1000R Restoration #2

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by straycat, May 30, 2020.

1. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    I made it easy to get that rear end off now. I had several sets of spare seat hooks that the passenger seat strap & solo cowl secures to, these hooks combined with the rear mount bracket studs make for a huge PITA install/un-install. so I took off the good hooks (put them in storage), and cut the hooks off the spare set. This allows the install of the grab strap and solo seat and makes install/ un-install a snap.

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    This. ^ Do it on all of my 1000R. And every other Honda I own that has a seat strap and those GD hooks. The 1000R is one of the worst ones though. You almost break the rear end getting it on and off. PLUS, I would never have a passenger use a seat strap to hold on to. Please... this isn't a rodeo.

3. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    EXACTLY !

The amount of flex and bending required on that ABS tail unit to install/remove is why they all crack.

4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I remember the first time I re-installed the seat unit after modding. I think I cried (happy tears) a little. Then came the anger stage... "Why THE FUCK didn't I do this earlier?!!!!!"

5. lsc86

lsc86 New Member

United States
    Map
    Sharp looking bike indeed!

UP got hammered hard last week already with snow, could be another heavy snow year in the midwest....just got back from North Carolina, folks still riding down there, wish I'd had my Harley with me for sure.....

6. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    -5C and snow on the ground here this morning.

Should 15C by weekend and I may get a bike out again !!!

7. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    We had a beautiful weekend here in the Seattle area, almost 60F. Went for a nice ride on the ST after picking up some of the last pieces for the Hawk GT I bought and a couple growlers from Georgetown Brewery.

8. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    P1090901.jpg Nice, lets see the Hawk GT !! here is mine

mello dude and Diving Pete like this.
  9. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    It's a project. $600. Runs perfect. Bunch of new parts: Chain/sprockets, cables, air filter, tires.
    RC31-1-resize.jpg
    But its a solid foundation to start with. Already starting to mod. Front 2.5" wheel just won't do.

Most parts have arrived:
    CB-1 forks (shorter), right lower CB-1 slider (mirror image of left NT650). Forks will either get VFR cartridge internals or RT Emulators. Dual NT650 rotors with 1992 VFR brakes. CBR1000F 3.5" front wheel. The 1000F wheel will look more at home than a F2 or VFR wheel with the stock rear wheel. And with this fork setup I can run the original fender, not the F2 fender that doesn't look that good when it's not mostly hidden in some lower fairings. If I ever mod for a rear VFR wheel I can then bolt in a matching front VFR wheel.

straycat likes this.
  10. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    That will be cool. Are you putting front fairings on her ?

Buddy of mine has one with several engine mods, including Africa Twin Cam Shafts.

11. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Naked for now. Would love to put some NC30 items on, but not now ($$$). I'm already spending money I don't have on this bike. But the front end will be cool, it will look real close to a stock double disc front end. I thought I had a Fox TC for the rear, but the hose outlet won't clear the frame. More $$$.

If the bike had at least a 3.00" wheel I probably wouldn't have bothered. But I don't like a 110/70 on a 2.5" wheel, even though it is considered "acceptable".