1986 vf500f

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by OTyler, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    I'd be pretty defiant in my acceptance of a vacuum leak if I just paid the ridiculous prices on those '86 intake boots that are inexplicably like 300% more than the 84/5 versions.

I'm spitballing a bit here, but there's another quick check I'd do. Make sure your vacuum ports are blocked. Perhaps you pulled one off for some reason and didn't replace it. Assuming the 86 is similar to my 84, the two on the right will be blocked off. One on the left will be blocked off, and the 4th one will have the vacuum line for the petcock on it.

Also check that petcock line for cracks or leaks.

My money is on the throttle not returning all the way to rest or a sync screw being disturbed if you replaced the boots and the carburetor is fully seated in it. I've screwed up the routing on the throttle cable on another bike and had that issue. Thinking of it, I've probably done everything wrong at least once. Vacuum leaks suck though. Hope you're able to find it Dale.

LhIT_qoI.jpeg

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    on some bikes there's a sleeve between the sides of the clamps that tends to limit the amount of tightening, so if your bike has them, pull them out.

3. Dalevf500

Dalevf500 New Member

United States
    i got the vacuum leak fixed i just did not have the boots all the way in.

but i sill have a problem, the idle is good, but it wont rev past 6000 rpm
    if i pull the choke on after it has warmed up it will rev past 6000.
    i know the choke on this bike lets moor air in ,so do i have a main jet problem?
    the bike ran perfect before so i cant justify the mains being the problem

4. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    Seems to me you're lacking fuel. Putting the choke on is feeding more fuel not more air.

When you cleaned the carbs, did you examine all the jets to see that they were clear of obstructions ? did you blow out all the passageways in the carbs? did you remove the needle/seats and check the fuel strainers underneath for blockages (I think the 500's have those, its been a while since I did a set of 500 carbs)
    Float heights are all OK ?
    Fuel pump is delivering sufficient fuel ? no kinked fuel line ?
    Rubber diaphragms in the top caps were all ok? and you never used "carb cleaner" with those rubber diaphragms installed in the carbs (it will turn those to goo pretty quick)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021